Thread: How many nuts per day? page

RCrown2 is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Just wondering how many and what type of nuts everyone else consumes on average per day. I feel like I am eating more than the recommended amount. I am 5'10 145lbs and not trying to lose weight or anything, but more concerned on the high Omega 6 to 3 ratio. There are just so many that taste good.

Also, since heat seems to damage these oils, would that limit the actual amount of Omega 6's the body processes with oven roasted nuts? Any insight would be appreciated.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

i eat macadamia nuts after dinner everyday...usually 1 or 2 handfuls...they are even better if you put them in the fridge to get cold first but i dont know why

Hello Kitty is offline Junior Member

Except for the ground, toasted almonds I sprinkle on cottage cheese, none. For me they were always a gateway food - leading to the overeating of something else, usually something bad containing sugar. I eat less than half an ounce of them a day - the ground nuts are not in a snackable form, so no problem. I don't have to lose any weight, and I definitely want to keep it that way.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I just started eating cashews, hemp seeds, and will probably add some more easily soakable nuts into the rotation. I realized that I was actually getting more omega 3 than oemga 6 before! Man that was silly. As far as the ratio, anywhere between as much and twice as much omega 6 is ideal and trust me, you definitely don't want too little omega 6. A couple of ozs of omega 6 nuts and seeds if your diet doesn't have much anywhere else is a great idea. When all I eat is animal protein, saturated and monounsaturated oils, vegetables, a couple of servings of fruit and nuts and seeds, to even be getting enough of it I need about 2 oz of nuts to counter the omega 3 from flax, chia, and fish.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

bodly is offline Junior Member

I agree with Hello Kitty. I avoid nuts most of the time, only eat them every once in a while. For me they don't really seem to satisfy my hunger, so I could sit and eat a lot of them if I made them a regular part of my diet.

So for me they're a treat. I'll have some macadamia nuts and some dark chocolate maybe once a week or every two weeks.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

When I first started I'd have 120 grams of almonds just about every day.

Then I cut back to about a handful. Now I'm trying to avoid them altogether and it seems to be really helping my fat loss.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Vick is offline Senior Member

I alternate. 1 oz (22 nuts) of almonds and the next day is 1 oz (16 halves) of walnuts. it is the only food I still measure.

FairyRae2 Guest

I limit it to 1/4 cup a day, or I see weight creeping up. It's just what works for me...

bootson is offline Senior Member

I am obsessed with walnuts... For some reason I bought like a 3 pound bag of the freakin' things. Going to put them in the freezer downstairs so that I at least have to exercise to get to them.

Before I got these... probably less than a handful of whatever nuts/seeds I had in the house. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds... Walnuts are the one ones that I'm addicted to. Agh.