Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: high fat intake and diarrhea page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

high fat intake and diarrhea

Primal Fuel
    Whenever my family eats anything too oily or with too much fat, they get diarrhea right away. So they naturally avoid eating too much fat and like carbs instead.

I don't have any digestion issues with eating lots of fat. I am just wondering what is it about fat that causes digestion problems?

grayumm is offline Junior Member
    Can you be more specific? Is "too oily" like fish & chips or some other deep fried food?
    Learn to swim.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need."

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Whenever my family eats anything too oily or with too much fat, they get diarrhea right away. So they naturally avoid eating too much fat and like carbs instead.

I don't have any digestion issues with eating lots of fat. I am just wondering what is it about fat that causes digestion problems?
    I have the same problem as your family. When I started Primal my diet was about 60% fat 25% protein and 15% carbs. Fats I ingested were, grass fed meat fat, butter, avocado, olive oil, fish oil, full fat natural yoghurt, coconut oil and ghee. I had severe diarrhea. I also have IBS and fats have been known to irritate the condition. Maybe over time it could have gotten better, but I have a job, a family and a life to live and I certainly wasn't going to endure that every day. So I dropped the fat, increased carbs and now feel a whole lot better.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have problems with non-primal oils or too much coconut oil. But not with primal fats. How much fat can they handle before becoming ill?

There is no need to go super high fat if it is not working.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Usually deep fried foods, fried noodles/rice.... Chinese restaurant kind of food.

Quote Originally Posted by grayumm View Post
    Can you be more specific? Is "too oily" like fish & chips or some other deep fried food?

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I have problems with non-primal oils or too much coconut oil. But not with primal fats. How much fat can they handle before becoming ill?

There is no need to go super high fat if it is not working.
    My stomach gets a bit funny with too much coconut milk, but not coconut oil. I have no problems with primal fats so far. I could eat really high fat and feel fine, at least a lot better than high carb.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    There is absolutely NO need to eat ridiculous amounts of fat. When you do eat fat make sure it's good (primal approved) fat. If your body does not like something, evaluate how healthy it is and, if you think it's a positive addition to your diet, introduce it SLOWLY.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

dantonn9 is offline Senior Member
    Chinese restaurant food? I don't think they use primal oil
    Danni

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Fried food never agreed with me when I was pre-primal. There is absolutely no need to eat deep fried food (especially when the oil unlikely from an animal source, olive oil or coconut oil). Keep your fats primal. I definitely wouldn't consider the typical Western Chinese restaurants to be primal (unless it was a traditional Chinese restaurants where you could make good choices such as roasted duck, steamed frog, roasted goose, pig or chicken, taro, bok choi, etc...)

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    I experienced this too, and still do. One thing my gastrointestinal doc told me in my case, was that being gluten sensitive can also mean that your body has a hard time processing ALL nutrients, including fats. Now that I eat more fats than I used to, I get what you're talking about (including gray, floating stools - sorry again ladies ). As things heal, that's expected to go away. Before I cut out gluten and went primal, I'd have diarrhea 4, 5, 6 times a day, literally. Now, it's once every couple days sometimes as often as once or twice a day, usually depending on if I've had beer recently, which until the doctor tells me to cut out completely, I'm gonna have it once a week.

Anyway, it's not necessarily the fact that you're consuming fat that is causing the diarrhea. When I FIRST went paleo, I had it a LOT and it was because of all of the lettuce and other leafy greens I started consuming massive amounts of overnight. After a few weeks, my body adjusted to that. So be aware it could be the result of gluten sensitivity. If your gut has damage, it's harder for it to absorb any nutrient, even if you're overweight, since it leads some people to eat more in order to try and not starve at the cellular level.
    Last edited by Catharsis; 05-19-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast