Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a real yam today page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

I bought a real yam today

Primal Fuel
    I bought a real yam at the Asian market today. I've wanted to try one and see what they are like. They are brown on the outside and white on the inside. I think they're often used in African cuisine.

When I cut it up, it got really sticky and gross. I simply boiled cubes in salted water because I wanted to see what the yam tasted like. They are very bland, which can actually be a good thing sometimes.

I put the cooked, cubed yam in a thai green coconut curry. The blandness tasted just like rice. I think these would make a great rice substitute. I don't know how you make cauliflower rice, but you could certainly use these yams to make it. The consistency is not like sweet or regular potatoes, but they are very starchy.

Have you made anything with real yams? What did you make?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I just bake my yams/sweet potatoes. I will look into preparing something with them, however. I did buy a pair of purple yams ("Ube [oohbeh] in tagalog), at some obscure Asian shop around the corner of downtown Tigard, run by a Pilipina. I baked it; and wondered where these have been all my life. My parents would often buy Pan De Ube (Purple Yam bread), at the Pilipino bakeries. After having the real thing, I find Pan De Ube a grave injustice. I find it tastier than regular Yams, though I like the sweet potato with the orange insides best.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    So the things we buy here in America are all "Sweet Potatoes" both the orange ones and the white/yellow ones?
    There is quite a difference in the nutritional data for the two, I'm never sure which one to punch in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    So the things we buy here in America are all "Sweet Potatoes" both the orange ones and the white/yellow ones?
    There is quite a difference in the nutritional data for the two, I'm never sure which one to punch in.
    Mark explains it in this link The Difference Between Yams and Sweet Potatoes | Mark's Daily Apple

I hope this helps.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Based on what I provided; and re-reading, it turns out I still haven't tasted a real yam. Although, I'm a fan of the purple sweet potato. :P.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Dug up a bucket of the orange sweet potato from the garden tonight, diced it up and added it to some curried mince and coconut cream. went down a treat!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I've only had the orange sweet potato, which Mark called "the yam" and white African "real yam".

With the African yam, I pounded it with the end of a rolling pin for ages until it made a firm ball of stodge. Fufu, I think it is known as in Ghanaian cuisine, which I served in the middle of a spicy tilapia soup from a shito sauce base.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    With the African yam, I pounded it with the end of a rolling pin for ages until it made a firm ball of stodge. Fufu, I think it is known as in Ghanaian cuisine, which I served in the middle of a spicy tilapia soup from a shito sauce base.
    Yeah, fufu! I made something similar but added some red palm oil and cumin. Delicious (if you are one who likes the taste of palm oil).

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Mark explains it in this link The Difference Between Yams and Sweet Potatoes | Mark's Daily Apple

I hope this helps.
    Awesome, thanks for the link!!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, I am not talking about the orange things we call yams or sweet potatoes. This real yam is nothing like a potato in flavor or consistency. It's more like a starchy root, almost more like celery root, except it doesn't have much flavor. I'd say it actually has no flavor, like rice has no flavor. Things with no flavor taste really good in sauces that have lots of flavor, as I've found out with paneer cheese as well as this flavorless yam. It's kind of like the spaces between the notes in a tune makes it music instead of noise. Anyway, if you can find one of these, they are worth a try. Don't fear the snot-like slimy goo that comes out when you cut it up.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast