Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amanda's Primal Journal page

abt303 is offline Member

Amanda's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hello!

My name is Amanda. I wrote a bit of an introduction earlier today in the Meet and Greet forum here. I've gained a bit of weight over the last few years, and my boyfriend has as well. I said in my other thread I'd like to lose 25-30 lbs, but truthfully I think it may be closer to 35-40lbs. I just am not ready to step on the scale yet. I think when my size 10 jeans aren't spilling over is when I'll be brave enough to do that.

And that's basically what made me snap into getting back to into shape. My size 10s being way too snug, my gut spilling over. Truth be told, I probably am a size 12 or even 14 now. But I will not allow myself to go any higher up the size chart. I've already gone from a 6 three years ago to a 10 now! I'll spend that money on good Paleo-friendly foods.

After a bit of research I decided on a Paleo program. I first learned about Robb Wolf and then discovered Mark Sisson and here I am. The PB lifestyle just seems to make the most sense. Whole foods that are good for the body with the occasional wine or dark chocolate splurge? What's not to love?

In addition to embarking on the Primal Blueprint, I will be beginning the Les Mills Pump program on Sunday. I used to love Body Pump at my old gym, so I'm excited that there is now a program for home use. I also take cycle/yoga classes 3-4x/week.

If you've made it to this point, congrats! Also, please feel free to comment on my entries. I welcome any and all feedback and advice.

abt303 is offline Member
    Day 1

Breakfast:
    1 egg + 2 egg whites scrambled with mushrooms and spinach. 2 slices bacon.

Lunch:
    Salad: salad greens (I like Organic Girl's 50/50 blend), cherry tomatoes, avocado, chicken, pumpkin seeds; dressed with olive oil and vinegar.

Snack:
    Berries sprinkled with unsweetened coconut

Dinner:
    grass fed ribeye, string beans, asparagus

So there's my first day. Not too shabby. If anyone is reading this, I have a couple of questions:

1. Is So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk acceptable? Or is it just the canned stuff that's okay?

2. I know that Robb Wolf says only 1 oz of nuts and 1 serving of fruit should be consumed when trying to lose weight. What's Mark Sisson's point of view? I ordered the book from Amazon and it should arrive on Monday, but was hoping someone may be able to answer this. Thanks!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    The coconut milk seems ok. Maybe someone who knows more will add.

That seems like a good amount of fruit and nuts. Mark would probably say to experiment.

Are you avoiding egg yolks? That's by far the most nutritious part of the egg.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

abt303 is offline Member
    Thanks for the feedback!

I had one yolk. I know that many now say the cholesterol in yolks don't matter, regardless of the eating lifestyle they support. But until my cholesterol is down to a reasonable number again, it matters to me. So only 1 yolk/day for now. And bacon won't be every day either, I usually have the leaner Canadian bacon. I'll re-visit all this when my numbers are lower.

I'm be honest, I'm a little wary of using coconut milk as well due to the saturated fat content. However, I need something in my coffee and for now I'm giving up dairy. I may re-introduce dairy later on, but I know it's a trigger food for me right now.

abt303 is offline Member
    Breakfast:
    1 grande coffee w/ unsweetened coconut milk

Lunch:
    6 oz salmon, Salad w/ salad greens, cherry tomatoes, avocado, dressed with olive oil and vinegar.
    6 Macadamia nuts

Snack:
    2 TBS Almond butter. I was going to have an apple with it, but found out my apples were past their prime.

Dinner:
    Buffalo Steak, green beans and asparagus.

Daily Stats on Fitday:
    Cals: 1423
    Fat: 86.3 (unreal amount to me)
    Carbs: 36.2
    Protein: 130.1

abt303 is offline Member
    Not thrilled with my eating today. It was PB-friendly, it just wasn't well planned since I was busy.

Breakfast:
    1 grande coffee w/ unsweetened coconut milk
    *I'll be changing this up soon, I just like to finish what I have before I move onto another breakfast. It will still be a scramble, just different meat.

Lunch:
    1 can of sardines (blech-never again), Salad w/ salad greens, cherry tomatoes, avocado, dressed with olive oil and vinegar.
    6 walnut halves

Snack:
    2 TBS Almond butter.
    3 Turkey slices

Dinner:
    Brisket and pulled pork w/ Roasted veggies from Whole Foods. I'm sure the brisket wasn't Grass-Fed, but since it was from WF I'm sure it's pretty decent quality.
    Blueberries w/ coconut

Fitday Stats:
    Cals:1647 ( a little higher than I'd like for weight loss)
    Fat: 112.6
    Carbs:55.8
    Protein: 110.6

abt303 is offline Member
    Ooof. TOM/PMS...I may have to indulge in a square or two of dark chocolate today...

abt303 is offline Member
    Breakfast: 2 eggs + canadian bacon

Lunch: Chicken breast w/ roasted veggies and marinara sauce

Snack: Almond Butter and apple

Snack: Chocolate

Dinner: 2 turkey burger patties, large salad

Cal: 1448 Fat: 76.5 Carb: 94.2 Protein: 108

Blyde is offline Junior Member
    Congrats so far and good luck with your goal. Great that you have a Les Mills Pump, its a great form of exercise. I am currently doing FR crossfit and I love the challenges.

abt303 is offline Member
    Thanks. Not sure what part of CO you are in, but I'm a member of Qi in Denver so I do my cardio/yoga there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast