Thread: Rat study on fasting- very interesting! page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

Rat study on fasting- very interesting!

I know humans are not rats, but I started Fast 5 (IF with a 5 hour eating window) 4 weeks ago, and after reading this I think I'm reaping more benefits than I knew:

Extended daily fasting overrides harmful effects of a high-fat diet: Study may offer drug-free intervention to prevent obesity and diabetes

"The daily feeding-fasting cycle activates liver enzymes that breakdown cholesterol into bile acids, spurring the metabolism of brown fat -- a type of "good fat" in our body that converts extra calories to heat. Thus the body literally burns fat during fasting. The liver also shuts down glucose production for several hours, which helps lower blood glucose. The extra glucose that would have ended up in the blood -- high blood sugar is a hallmark of diabetes -- is instead used to build molecules that repair damaged cells and make new DNA. This helps prevent chronic inflammation, which has been implicated in the development of a number of diseases, including heart disease, cancer, stroke and Alzheimer's. Under the time-restricted feeding schedule studied by Panda's lab, such low-grade inflammation was also reduced.
    "Implicit in our findings," says Panda, "is that the control of energy metabolism is a finely-tuned process that involves an intricate network of signaling and genetic pathways, including nutrient sensing mechanisms and the circadian system. Time-restricted feeding acts on these interwoven networks and moves their state toward that of a normal feeding rhythm."

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Interesting! Reinforces my natural tendency to eat once a day. For years, I tried to follow CW/SAD~ all I got was high cholesterol and a big ass Now I've gone back to skipping meals~ I feel better, am dropping the weight and have much more energy. Glad to see that there are studies that follow along with the idea that when you eat counts too.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I started eating like the mice after Mark's fasting series, i.e. I generally wait until late morning to eat, then eat again at dinner. Generally I have a few nuts or something in between but only a bit of cream in my coffee in the morning, which Mark says is ok.

My doc has been freaked out about my liver enzymes. Of course, she wanted me to take heart and cholesterol meds, which I refused. She also told me to stop taking dessicated liver, choline and turmeric, without listening to why they are good for the liver. I am looking for a new doc. I think fasting will help my enzyme count. I hope so.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

peril is offline Senior Member
    Mice are adapted to eating grains, not high fat diets. Interesting result, but no diet study on rodents is applicable to humans
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Mice are adapted to eating grains, not high fat diets. Interesting result, but no diet study on rodents is applicable to humans
    Mice are omnivores, so a grain only diet is not natural for them either. I do agree with you that rat studies are not applicable to humans though. I'm glad to see that they plan on following up with human studies, I'll be interested to see what happens.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Fat doesn't cause increased blood glucose.

noreaster is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=spincycle;835404]I know humans are not rats, but I started Fast 5 (IF with a 5 hour eating window) 4 weeks ago, and after reading this I think I'm reaping more benefits than I knew QUOTE]

Don't forget also the benefit of your body producing massive more amounts of HGH when you are fasting. Studies in the last several years of shown the body can produce up to 20X the amount of HGH while fasting for up to 24hrs. If you read about HGH it is like a natural anti-aging miracle elixer. Sign me up.