Thread: Protein v. Carbs.. I don't know if I'm getting enough or too little. Help! page

RaiKobe is offline Junior Member

Question Protein v. Carbs.. I don't know if I'm getting enough or too little. Help!

Primal Fuel
    I went Primal a week ago and I've read a lot of the other forums and am reading his book right now. I know that you are supposed to eat anywhere from .7-1 times your body weight grams of protein a day and I am trying to do between 50 and 100 grams of carbohydrates a day. My problem is that I normally only eat 60-80 grams of protein a day and 40 or so grams of carbs. How do I increase my protein? Should I be worried about this or should I just limit my carbs even more? Should I eat more even if I'm not hungry?

According to my calculations I should be eating 100-120 grams of protein a day and that is not happening. I normally have an egg at noon or so and then chicken or steak for dinner with some leafy greens. I have cut dairy (except for eggs and a dash of cream in my coffee in the morning) I don't eat any grains at all. I have been having some fruit and 85% dark chocolate as a dessert because I am still major craving crap and I figured that would be healthier and more primal then the stuff I used to eat. I'm a seventeen year old girl, I'm five foot seven and I weigh 175. I need to lose around 30 lbs but I'm more concerned with getting my body fat down.

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

greenshady is offline Member
    The biggest thing you can do when starting out is to not count anything. This includes calories, protein, fat, and carbs. Give yourself a chance to adjust to the lifestyle. After you've been on it a few months, decide if you need to start counting anything. I only recommend keeping track of this stuff for stats nerds (like me sometimes) or if you're hitting a plateau and need to figure out where you're going wrong.

What you should do is focus on nutritious, whole foods.

If you provide a sample menu of what you've been eating for an entire day, I'm sure some of us can offer some advice though for making it better.

Also, eggs are *not* dairy.
    Last edited by greenshady; 05-18-2012 at 12:51 PM.