Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loosing too much weight & no appetitie. Can't get out of Ketosis. Help!! page

rocklobster is offline Junior Member

Loosing too much weight & no appetitie. Can't get out of Ketosis. Help!!

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

This is my first post here.

My naturalpath doctor has had me on a paleo diet for a year now to help treat my Candida. I started at 6'-2" 190lbs and am now down to 170lbs (42 y.o. male). Before I started I ate A LOT of refined sugars etc. My nickname was "Cake a Day" Joe at work. I had years worth of antibiotics for Lyme disease and Acne of my lifetime. You get the picture.

Now that I'm at 170, amazingly my cholesterol is now at 160 instead of 220!! Awesome.

But now I have a big problem. I'm kinda wasting away. I want to gain a little weight back and cannot because I have NO APPETITE. I look sickly. I am constantly in and out of Ketosis by confirmations of bad breath my wife smells and confirmed with keto urine strips. I have very loose stool every day almost to the point of diarrhea.

I tracked my carb intake for 4 days and it was typically 180g each day but I'm still going into Ketosis!! My general doctor says I'm starving myself which I agree with him at this point.

What should I do? I feel very lightheaded because I don't eat enough. My natural path now says I have a blood sugar problem because I should not be in Ketosis at 180g carbs a day. I don't believe her because I think I'm in a weird starvation mode because of the Ketosis.

What do you guys do after you get to your target weight. What should I do. I feel very sick, queezy etc all the time and can't break this cycle.

Many thanks for any help or thoughts.
    Joe

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Eat, eat and eat.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    If you have been VLC and are now just adding in carbs, it could take a couple days to knock yourself out of keto (although 4 days seems like a lot). Try bumping up your carbs to 200-300 (not garbage carbs) for a couple days and see how you feel. You might be one of those people that feels like shit on moderate to low carb. With a properly functioning metabolism, you don't need to restrict carbs; they aren't the enemy.

Make some big ass primal dessert and eat the entire thing. I bet you'll feel better

Food I need to avoid:
    Anything with yeast. This kills a lot. So many things have yeast in them including vinegar, breads, condiments etc.
    No wheat
    No processed sugars
    no almonds
    No dairy

Food I can eat
    Soy
    Nuts
    Beans
    Brown rice
    any meats (chicken, fish, pork, red meats)
    Non-wheat grains

How many calories should I consume a day at my target weight. I don't' work out right now. My goal is to get out and stay out of Ketosis.

Joe

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Seriously: start eating white rice. It's a great way to get lots of glucose, and it doesn't really make you very full. It's empty calories, but they're harmless calories and it's great for weight gain. Give it a shot. You can add it to pretty much everything. One of my favorite things is to add a cup of cooked white rice to a salad. It's like a fajita salad: grilled chicken or steak, white rice, avocado, pico de gallo, cheddar cheese and white rice in a cilantro/lime juice/balsamic vinaigrette over a bed of finely chopped romaine. Obviously the cheese is out for you, but no big deal. Actually, I bet you'd be able to handle goat cheese, and that would go very well with that salad. Chevre is awesome.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I like most beans. Red, Black, Lentils, garbonzo etc. I love beans but think they don't offer me enough carbs to get me out of the rut.

I never had a weight problem so when I went on Paleo for other reasons (Candida), I guess it's too much for me to take because I am loosing too much weight. Back when I used to eat cake and cookies all day long, I didn't gain weight and no one could believe it. No with paleo, my body must be starved for carbs.

I like your idea of white rice. A few others mentioned that too.

What is your exercise like? I bet if you you get in a nice workout, your appetite may pick up.
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I second the white rice idea. Potatoes too. With lots of sea salt and butter. Ketosis is not just from low carb. It is also from starving. You are starving.

Loss of appetite can be a zinc deficiency. So make sure you are getting zinc either through oysters or a supplement.

Are you eating a diet with only muscle meat? You should be eating offal too and a few other foods to get vitamins:

1. Liver once a week.
    2. Oysters for zinc.
    3. Brazil nuts for selenium.
    4. Sea veggies for iodine.
    5. Bone stocks and bone marrow.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Also - make sure you don't have an egg intolerance. That can cause GI upset and nausea as well. But add in the zinc right away.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure why you've been advised that you can eat nuts and brown rice as both have a high mold content and mold toxins promote candida growth. White rice does not have a high mold content so that is fine.

Also, I recommend sweet potatoes and white potatoes as good primal sources of starch.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast