Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "I swear it didn't taste like liver" liver recipe page

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member

Another "I swear it didn't taste like liver" liver recipe

Primal Fuel
    Primal lamb liver parmesan:

My first time with lamb liver. Bought it to bring my US Wellness order up to the 7 lb. minimum.

I took a plate, put a few tsps of coconut flour on it, lots of Italian spices, salt, etc...

Coated the lamb liver lightly in the spice/coconut flour mix.

Tossed it in a pan with a good 1/4 inch of hot palm shortening. Fried it lightly on both sides, then put it in a oven-safe dish.

Put some mozzarella cheese on top, spread some (soybean oil free) marinara on it, and tossed it under the broiler just long enough to get the cheese melty.

Really didn't taste very liver-ey. Maybe the lamb liver is just milder, or maybe those spices are particularly good at masking the flavor. I'm going to try to feed this to the GF with kelp noodles some time next week. She is NOT a liver fan.

Wonder if that would work for beef liver?? I've never had either, but I'm working up the courage to try.

I don't think you can drown out the taste of beef liver with a little garlic and oregano. I haven't tried this particular recipe, but I've tried many similar, and failed. Fortunately, I can handle the taste of liver. Not saying I love it (oh how I try to convince myself that I do), but I can handle it. The lamb liver definitely has a milder "liver" taste than any of the grass-fed liver I've had, arguably milder than chicken liver, which surprised me.

The wife and kids are going out of town soon and I hope to try liver (maybe this recipe) and some other things that I hate to cook because I'm going to be the only one that tries it. Thanks for the recipe.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, lamb liver is milder. And very yummy. I belong to a meat CSA that does beef and lamb. I always order some "extra bits" to go with my regular monthly allotment like marrow bones and liver. They are all really pleased that someone, anyone, wants this stuff.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. Sounds like it's worth a shot! Now to find lamb liver. Will try the butcher. Question... is Palm Oil the same as Coconut oil?

patski is offline Senior Member
    Metric, it isn't. But I'm sure coconut oil would be fine
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

DorschAaron is offline Junior Member
    I belong to a meat CSA that does beef and lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes, lamb liver is milder..
    Way milder! Made this recipe again last night, this time with zucchini "noodles." First time I've gotten the GF to eat liver, other than in liverwurst. Going to have to make lamb liver a staple.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey RichM,
    A bit OT but you mentioned kelp noodles in your OP. I've never tried those but I'm intrigued. How do they compare taste/texture wise to regular pasta?
    I use the konjac root shiritaki sometimes. Are they like those?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast