Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grok Day 1 page

GaGrokie is offline Junior Member

Feeling a little like my first day of college - excited, so much to look at and read, not sure where to go and know I'm going to forget something.

I stumbled across MDA while looking for ways of eating that could help IBS. I have suffered with IBS all my life and now in my 40's I've added high blood pressure and low blood sugar to the mix along with an irregular heart beat that I'm on meds for as well as for the high bp.

Last night I cleaned out the cubbords and my husband told me this morning that I kept talking in my sleep last night saying that I had to go to the grocery store.

This is how day one has been so far

Day 1

Breakfast

1 hardboiled egg and one apple (free range, organic)

tea - unsweet, decaf

Lunch

grilled fish

I think supper is going to be a steak

trustmrtwo is offline Junior Member

Welcome, it's good to have you here at MDA! I would suggest a little more fat at breakfast. Maybe consider 3 eggs and some bacon! MMMMMM. Also, do some research into Intermittent Fasting (referred to as "IF" here on the forums). This will help you greatly, along with eating real food, in relieving some of the symptoms you've described above. Stick with it and use MDA for support!

TenYearStorm Guest

I second the suggestion to eat more fats!

Sister Grok Guest

Thirded! Welcome!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

More food (definitely 3 eggs) and why aren't you eating any vegetables??? You should have a bunch of non-starchy vegetables or a salad with both the fish and the steak.

Can't help smiling at the image of an apple roaming the range ... I thought apple trees liked to stay put. ;-)

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

I'll third (or "N-th" depending on how many people respond before I finish typing) adding fats. Butter, coconut oil, bacon, etc will become your friend soon.

When it comes to starting out, you're likely to experience "low carb flu" while you break the addiction to sugar. When I went through it, I would literally feel like I NEEDED sugar or bread or something like it... and the best advice is when you feel the sugar craving, no matter how difficult it seems, eat some healthy fat INSTEAD of the sugar. The more you stick to need-sugar-feed-fat, the faster carb flu will go away.

You'll see people talking about intermittent fasting (or "IF") a lot. It seemed kinda scary to me at first, but you'll find that you'll fall into it naturally anyway as long as you really dedicate yourself to learning to listen to your body. It's an adjustment period, but you have to try and be honest with yourself as to why you are eating. Are you realling hungry? or just bored/stressed/happy/insert emotion here? As you progress out of the carb flu and into the energized, stabilized, wonderful feeling that PB brings and you probably keep reading about, you'll find that sometimes you just don't want dinner... or breakfast the next morning... or sometimes even lunch. This is ok and you should make sure NOT to just eat out of habit in those cases.

My other "starting out" advice is to follow the exercise suggestions as presented. Move around often at a gentle pace, lift something heavy a couple of times a week, and run "for your life" a couple of times a week as well. Don't give in to the temptation to exercise yourself into the ground. Exercise frequency seems to be like a bell curve of usefullness to me, with rest being just as important as the exercise.

Otherwise, welcome to feeling great for the rest of your life!!! You'll find this to be one of the best forums out there with extra nice and helpful people.

Thanks for all the advice. I did have a salad with the steak last night. This morning I had tuna with egg and about a handfull of nuts. With the blood sugar problems that I have had I have been eating about every 3 hours. My mid morning and afternoon snacks would be a banana usually. Yesterday I skipped the morning snack and did fine. I was not shakey or any of those low blood sugar feelings that I frequently have. I'm 5 feet nothing and weigh 114 which is the most that I have ever weighed in my life. I'm not worried about the weight but I do need to tone up and I am tired of going to the bathroom all the time and having to eat all the time.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

I think you'll find that Primal eating is a miracle cure for the irritable bowels. I certainly did better once all the grains departed. I had already gotten rid of the gluten a year or two before, but I still had non-conventional grains like quinoa or buckwheat (heck, it's a variety of pigweed, nothing to do with grasses!)

Yet when I dropped them I definitely did better immediately, and when I tried just a little quinoa after a couple weeks without, I felt worse immediately.

If you haven't read it yet, I strongly recommend Elaine Gottschall's book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" for all digestive problems. She eliminates the starch and disaccharides that people with bad flora or injured intestines cannot digest properly. (The enzymes for breaking apart starches and disaccharides into simple sugars tend to be hidden below a mucus layer so the starch sits around unabsorbed, feeding the bad flora.)

Her theories and history are much more elaborate of course, but that's the nutshell. I worked according to her plan for several months, and had almost NO hay fever last spring, after 50 years of misery with it every year. Obviously, she really did help me cure a leaky gut, which nothing else had done.

Primal luckily has quite a bit of overlap with her restrictions, by getting rid of the grains and table sugar, and by frowning on dairy a little. (Lactose is a disaccharide -- Elaine lets one eat very aged cheeses, or very long-fermented yoghurt, which is actually a pretty Primal approach to dairy.) She does allow more honey and sweet fruit than Primal people do (except as very occasional treats.) So, with unlimited honey and dried fruit, it certainly isn't a low carbohydrate diet -- but then, people with Crohn's and ulcerative colitis are so starved that they need calories very badly, but safe calories. The honey has both fructose and glucose, but an enzyme keeps them apart, so they are simple sugars, easy to assimilate.

And so I got a big honey habit going, which treated me pretty well, considering, but on the other hand I didn't lose an ounce, and heaven knows what my blood glucose was during those months. Now I've put it into the cupboard and I don't take it out, at least until the excess weight is gone and I feel really balanced. And then I'll just have a teaspoon or so in tea.

Where Primal and I can't quite agree is with some of the veggies, which I still can't handle very well. Anything with inulin (an indigestible polysaccharide) or its kin leaves me bloated and miserable. I hope eventually my gut will be healthy enough that I can gradually reintroduce some of this so-called "healthy" veg.

Best of luck, hope it all goes well for you. I bet it will, once you're past the immediate change-over! And maybe even right away.

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I have done good over the weekend and so far have not had any problems. I am pleasantly surprised at how I don't feel hungry during the day and like I have to eat something. I am going to have to lay off raw veggies for a while because when I eat a salad it just tears my stomach up. I'm doing a lot of looking for recipes on here. Fortunately with my blood sugar problems I have been used to staying away from sugar and sweets but the thing that I have missed the most over the last 3 days has been croutons in my salad and crackers with my tuna.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Day 3 was okay but I was really grumpy all day yesterday which is very unlike me. Maybe it is the time change.

Yesterday's eating went like this

Breakfast

3 egg omelet, with finely chopped onions and bell peppers.

tea - unsweet, decaf

one apple

no mid morning snack which used to be a part of my routine

Lunch

chicken salad

2 slices of tomato with cheese on top

tea

Supper

Pork Loin

cooked carrots

applesauce ( eaten while I was waiting for the pork loin to cook)

strawberries for dessert

wine, red merlot

tea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast