Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Eating Just One Meal A Day? page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    I know it's off topic but it's just for you to consider - but someone who is very active, exercises 5 days a week, keeps a low carb diet and only eats about 1200 calories seems to me to be on a road to disaster.
    I don't see what that would be true. When you are so small, you simply can't eat so much. I'm also 5'3" and never eat 2000 calories a day. I usually eat more like 1500. I'm not 120lbs. Can't seem to get below 135, probably because I can't seem to get down to 1200 calories and stay there long enough.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I'm 5'4", 155lbs, goal weight 135-140lbs, and currently have enough muscle to be <20% bf at that gw.

I am losing pure fat at a rate of 1lb/week, which I am fine with. Currently I eat 2200 calories/day on average, usually for 1 meal/day, sometimes including a coffee with cream during lunch. I work out 3-4x/week doing heavy lifts and sprints, and sometimes I do a three hour or so hike on the weekends. Seriously, you do not need to eat 1200 calories/day...in fact you should be eating more so as to not depress your metabolism.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Sakura, you can do it because you are very muscular - being under 20% BF at 140 lbs would be my wet dream!

Women with different body type (i.e. shorter, thinner bones) might not be able to put on enough muscle and their food requirements is lower.

I am sure all of us tried to eat more and exercise less (who wouldn't want to!!!)

For some women, the miracle does happen, and they gain muscle and do not gain or even lose fat. The rest increase body fat too fast. When I was trying to bulk up, I gained 12 or 14 lbs over 2 or 3 months, by eating 1800-2200 cals a day (my height is 5' and 6&1/2 inches), and lifting 3x a week with slow cardio. I gained 75% of fat, with very marginal increase in strength (my weakest lift, the OHP increased to 68 lbs at the body weight of 132-134 lbs; now, at the body weight around 120 lbs, I can do 5x62# of the overhead press).

I find that when I am close or slightly under 20% BF, the 3,500 cals rule to put on a lb is no longer valid. It takes much less extra calories to pile the weight up like mad. My body simply wants me to be fatter than that & works swiftly and efficiently.
    Last edited by Leida; 05-18-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I've often wondered about the calories ppl are eating per day when they eat once a day, or even twice. I usually eat twice. I have had a 24 hour fast one time and I think my calories came in around 700-800.

I am normally a Fast5 but had to eat an early lunch yesterday (or late breakfast) and breakfast this morning. The last two mornings, I have been trying to drink coffee with half&half as opposed to BP coffee, so maybe that is part of the difference. Also I have been busy outside, working up more of an appetite I guess.

Anyways, I was wondering about the low end of the calorie scale. How that affects a person. I know what CW says but sometimes I am confused on forum opinions.

Leida, I agree with you that body type has a lot to do with it. But I also think that because you have a lot of hormonal problems relating to high stress levels, it makes the situation a lot worse than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Anyways, I was wondering about the low end of the calorie scale. How that affects a person. I know what CW says but sometimes I am confused on forum opinions.
    Really, really depends on the person, imo. Genes set your potential, and hormonal regulation helps to bring you to that potential. Calories, in my opinion, help to set the hormones right, and if you aren't getting enough of them or too much of them, screw up the hormonal balance and keep you from reaching that potential.

Cin
    Cin is offline Member
    I am moving toward one meal a day, it seems.

I am now hungry during a 10 am- 1 p.m window (and I eat a large meal), and then again around 8 p.m. (I eat a snack.) I could skip supper most days of the week and not miss it -- at this point if I do eat supper, it's a very small portion so that I am eating with the family.

The miracle of PB for me is this appetite control. I used to be constantly hungry. My weight number hasn't changed much but my measurements sure have! I am a full size smaller and have lost inches everywhere.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Women with different body type (i.e. shorter, thinner bones) might not be able to put on enough muscle and their food requirements is lower.
    That's me.
    Believe me, I've tried so many different combinations and different kCalorie levels, and the only way I could lose weight (and not much muscle mass) is low carb, low cal, no processed junk. The two reasons being : my body type and my messed up metabolism due to yo yo dieting since high school.
    I suppose my other question for the one meal a day folks is this:
    Since that's a lot of food and protein in one sitting, is it possible for some of it to be converted into (glucose?) and stored as body fat?

I have heard from friends in the bodybuilding world, that you are not supposed to eat more than 4 - 6 oz. of protein at one sitting because what I described above will take place.
    So if you don't mind, do you think this is true or another load of CW BS?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    B.S.
    I easily eat a pound of meat at a time in my one daily meal. Lost four pounds in the last two weeks without trying.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    The two reasons being : my body type and my messed up metabolism due to yo yo dieting since high school.
    Are you sure it's not just your messed up metabolism and nothing to do with your body type?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast