Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Please help, I've been diagnosed with familial hypercholesterolemia =[ page 6

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi MsSmith. This is an old thread, but if it's any consolation, it's still relevant. High cholesterol ran in my mother's family. Strokes and heart attacks killed the majority of her siblings. Her pappy died at age 54, long before cholesterol became a byword. Yet only 3 of her siblings died young (out of 16) - one as a soldier in WW1, one from drinking lye as a toddler, and one in his 40's from a bone infection. The rest lived from early 70's to mid 90's, through major inflammations, operations, and other of life's hazards. Oh, and the majority never ever had a weight problem. I myself had a major stroke at age 53, changed my lifestyle and eating habits drastically a few years later, going low carb and, several mild heart attacks later, have passed my 71st birthday and am hanging in there. After a very bad experience with statins, they will never pass my lips again.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    I am a bit afraid now because my lipid profile has always been bad and high cholesterol runs in our family. I am still unwilling to take a statin. I am going to stay on the Paleo Diet but decrease my fat grams to around 30 per day. I am going to keep my carbs between 20-25 for ketosis until mid Oct.

The ratio for the food plan I have for tomorrow is: protein 28%, fat 52%, carbs 21%

That still leaves me with more fat than protein and keeps me in the "strict paleo" category.
    30g fat plus 25g carb is just 370cal. You will need to eat an enormous amount of protein to meet your daily energy need. If your fat is 52% then you're getting less than 750cal per day. The numbers don't stack up

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

rory535 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasbill View Post

Genetic disorders require different recommendations. A uniform, dogmatic approach to every individual, even with genetic disorders, is incredibly reckless.

At the end of the day, I'm not a doctor, which is why I'm scouring for information among the Paleo community regarding dietary recommendations for this disease. I believe that the current low fat diet he's been prescribed is dangerous in other ways, but if the man can't metabolize fat, I'd assume that a blanket paleo recommendation would be dangerous. I look at his condition almost as if he's a diabetic, only instead of not being able to produce insulin and metabolize glucose, he's unable to efficiently metabolize LDL. Sticking with that example, you wouldn't recommend that a type 1 diabetic eat sweet potatoes, would you?
    Texasbill hits the nail on the head. I see so much general bad advice being dished out in these forums especially as it pertains to cholesterol, because people are trying to apply the one diet fits all regardless.

I was even scoffed at for being a troll when I suggested that saturated fat ain't good for everyone and my blood tests proved it. That was even before I found out that I carry the ApoE4 genes, so yes saturated fat my body cannot process which leads to very high LDL levels.

If anything is out of the ordinary you need to do your own investigative work versus listen to people here blindly, that's very dangerous. It's YOUR health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Hi MsSmith. This is an old thread, but if it's any consolation, it's still relevant. High cholesterol ran in my mother's family. Strokes and heart attacks killed the majority of her siblings. Her pappy died at age 54, long before cholesterol became a byword. Yet only 3 of her siblings died young (out of 16) - one as a soldier in WW1, one from drinking lye as a toddler, and one in his 40's from a bone infection. The rest lived from early 70's to mid 90's, through major inflammations, operations, and other of life's hazards. Oh, and the majority never ever had a weight problem. I myself had a major stroke at age 53, changed my lifestyle and eating habits drastically a few years later, going low carb and, several mild heart attacks later, have passed my 71st birthday and am hanging in there. After a very bad experience with statins, they will never pass my lips again.
    Thank you so much for sharing. I think I have made the right decision. I prayed about it. Though none of us can control what happens, I do have to do my best (just like everyone else) and make the best decisions possible for my family.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    30g fat plus 25g carb is just 370cal. You will need to eat an enormous amount of protein to meet your daily energy need. If your fat is 52% then you're getting less than 750cal per day. The numbers don't stack up

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Yes I know my meal plan for today was incomplete when I posted last night. I went to the grocery store and stocked up on Paleo goodies. I just had some sauteed in EVOO mushrooms, spinach, and asparagus and I've got my eye on some pork chops and coconut oil as soon as I catch up on replying to all you fine folks. Thanks!
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

MissAmandaLynn is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    Yes I know my meal plan for today was incomplete when I posted last night. I went to the grocery store and stocked up on Paleo goodies. I just had some sauteed in EVOO mushrooms, spinach, and asparagus and I've got my eye on some pork chops and coconut oil as soon as I catch up on replying to all you fine folks. Thanks!
    If familial hypercholeaterolemia is in your family then pork chops shouldn't be looked at twice. I came into this board in search on my quest on a the great question of what oil is ok, with a focus on coconut. Truth is while for a normal person coconut oil is probably your best option, for us with familial chosterol issues it is not option at all. And a non modified paleo diet for us is no option. I've heard twice a month bacon mentioned, pork, lamb. Anyonr with this condition needs an intervention with an endrochronologisr fast! I was born with the severe side of this condition, had a transfusion at birth because my blood was thick as molasses. The doc's wanted to put me on meds at 6 years old because my levels, on a fairly regulated diet were at levels that gave certain to a heart attack by age 18. With the sideeffects, such as memory loss, in adults my mom said no way to the harmful meds. So we saw experts, who also wanted me on meds but devised a strict diet and gave me 6 months to get my levels in normal range. As a child I tried to battle with the man for once a year cheese, my weakness. His response, nope, never, and so far with pushing the limits of his dietary requirements I have found everything he said to be right. Here's the deal... No red meats or dairy, ever. Lean protein such as chicken or turkey, prefferably steamed, white meat only 1-2 times a week (meaning 1 meal, not every), cold water fish 2 times a week (3 occasionally), besides that your vegan. And so not paleo you need fiber and lots of it. Beans, legumes, whole grains are one of the most intregal portions to getting your limits low. I reach for the ancient grains as unprocessed as possible. Egg whites are ok, never a yolk, but whether egg whites have much nutritonal value that can be absorbed without the yoke is questionable, so I only consume it here and there. Trust me I wish I could go paleo, the health benefits for normal folk are there. But those of us with this problem are 1 in 500. Your body isn't just producing excess cholesterol, it genetically cannot get rid of any cholesterol on its own. High fiber is the key to getting it out without meds. Proof is in my testing and the fact I'm 33 now, no heart attacks (a near guarantee for me they thought with diet) and becaue I'm so aware I can literally feel the difference in my blood movement without enough fiber and or too many fats. Sorry for thr rant but reading some of the food suggestions on this board really scared me.

MissAmandaLynn is offline Junior Member
    And sorry for the typos, I'm terrible at typing on these phones

Bryan Dobson is offline Junior Member
    I totally agree with the advice from MissAmandaLynn. Those of us with FH can take no short cuts and cant follow the same rules as those with normal high cholesterol. Its all in the detail. I have really struggled with the detail on diet. All I get told it eat a healthy low fat diet. I am doing the same thing. No red meat, pork, duck etc. Only chicken, turkey and fish. No seafood except scallops and mussels. Soya porridge or alpen (non sugar version) for breakfast. Mackerel salad for lunch with lots of beans and pulses. No sauces or mayo. Also no desserts, sweets, chocolate or sugars. Not even in coffee. Its a bit depressing but we have no choice?
    What I would like is any recipes where we can at least feel like we are eating something nice. Sweet stuff is the biggest problem. Most recipes which claim to be healthy options just are not extreme enough for FH

Quote Originally Posted by MissAmandaLynn View Post
    If familial hypercholeaterolemia is in your family then pork chops shouldn't be looked at twice. I came into this board in search on my quest on a the great question of what oil is ok, with a focus on coconut. Truth is while for a normal person coconut oil is probably your best option, for us with familial chosterol issues it is not option at all. And a non modified paleo diet for us is no option.
    I don't know what the diagnosis is, just that "high cholesterol runs in our family." I had an executive panel done in Dec. and I am going to compare it to the last 5 yrs. executive panels. I just haven't had the opportunity to drive all the way across town with my daughter to get them yet.

I haven't had coconut oil or anything with coconut in it in weeks. I am only using palm shortening, ghee, and olive oil (sparingly). I am eating a thin bone-in pork chop every day (discarding the fat portions) and either chicken breast, chuck roast, rib eye steak (also discarding the fat portions), or 90/10 ground beef every day. It will probably be mostly PC and GB or PC and chicken. Two meals. Maybe there will be days when I don't want to eat meat, but I am not going to force myself to go without it. I rarely have bacon, eggs, or cheese. I do not eat legumes. I can't tolerate beans of any kind post cholecystectomy. Grains cause excessive bloating for me, as well as heartburn. I do not eat fish/seafood of any kind. I exercise almost daily (when I can), 2 miles on the treadmill at 3 mph.

I appreciate your concern and I'm sorry you've had so many health problems. I hope you are doing much better.

ETA: Here are my new macros. I was eating meals of PC and CB and then alternating with the potato hack diet. I have stopped doing that and have increased my carb portions from around 30 to 50 grams.

Pork chop, ground beef, squash, raw carrot, ketchup/mustard (52 grams fat - 932 calories)
    Pork chop, ribeye steak, squash, roasted carrots (66 grams fat - 961 calories)
    Pork chop, chicken breast, squash, raw carrot, ketchup (36 grams fat - 830 calories)
    Pork chop, roast, squash, cooked carrots (57 grams fat - 987 calories)

Option: Smaller portions of squash to add green (snap) beans. I am limited with veggies, also due to being post cholecystectomy.

As I said, I will probably do the PC and GB and PC and CB meals more than the roast or ribeye meals with PCs.

Salad with and without grilled chicken is also something I enjoy.
    Last edited by MsSmith; 01-23-2014 at 06:33 AM.
    48 - 5'7.5"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456