Thread: Dr admits "he is wrong about cholestoerol" page

ljp
    ljp is offline Junior Member

Dr admits "he is wrong about cholestoerol"

Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

just had a great read of this! it was great to have a DR admit that for 25years as a heart surgeon he was wrong about cholesterol causing heart disease.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Really tempted to print 25 of these on the work printer and put them next to the AHA guidelines for a healthy diet handouts.

donlumber is offline Junior Member
    A Skeptical Look at Dwight Lundell, M.D.

Unfortunately it's like having Ted Nugent for a anti gun control spokesman. *sigh*

Roach is offline Senior Member
    As near as I can tell, quackwatch is not to be trusted

donlumber is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, I think you also have to consider if any of the information is libel since he's saying things that fly in the face of CW and the people that make money from CW have power and money.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Excellent read! Thanks for posting.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljp View Post
    Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart Disease -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

just had a great read of this! it was great to have a DR admit that for 25years as a heart surgeon he was wrong about cholesterol causing heart disease.

Yeah, the press actually picked it up some years after he retired and published a book dating this. Still, better late than never.

He's worth listening to on this podcast:

The LLVLC Show (Episode 571): Dr. Dwight Lundell Reacts To Media Attention Of His Column ‘What Really Causes Heart Disease’ Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Politically motivated attempts to character-assassinate a well-qualified man who's long served the public and got to the top of his profession by hard work do not impress me in the least. I think, in fact, it tells us something about the people trying that on.

Jodis is offline Member
    I worked (as administrative support) for a number of cardiothoracic surgeons, in a teaching program (a University), for about a decade. The gamut of doctors from full professors on down to residents and medical students. I observed and worked with many many doctors and would-be doctors. I can tell you that, just like the rest of the population, doctors are a totally mixed bag. While none are truly stupid, they certainly are everything and every gradation between extremes. And yes, there are incompetent doctors out there.

I have long noted that Quackwatch has a rigid CW bias. Yet, this Dr. Lundell has lost his license to practice. To me, the most likely scenario is that neither one should be trusted. Not that I think Dr. Lundell is wrong about his stance on cholesterol. I just question his motives for "jumping on the band wagon". He didn't do the research (at least, he doesn't claim he did) leading to these conclusions. His experience as a cardiothoracic surgeon may lead him to agree, but he's hardly the first to bring out this evidence.

I guess I wouldn't call him as bad as Ted Nugent, but given his losing his license to practice, what benefit is he to the primal/paleo food consumption plan? Not much. IMO, of course; YMMV. I think we need a better spokesperson than Lundell.

tristonian is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know this isn't the focus of the OP but I'm curious as to what makes Quackwatch not a reliable source. While I've only looked up specific information on their site a small handful of times, I'd like to know what makes them not so trustworthy. Also what is CW?