Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF--help page

curlygirlclaud Guest

Intermittent fasting. How do you make it through the day without eating? Seriously! I look forward to my mealtimes and am hungry when mealtime arrives. Any hints and/or suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks and grok on! (I love that saying)

Prowler Guest

Are you ketosis-adapted? Have you been eating very low carb?

If you are keto-adapted it is very easy.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

What worked for me was eating plenty of protein and a lot of fat the meal prior to IF-ing. You can have it as a supper, say at 6PM. Then your IF starts. It's very easy to IF while you sleep, so if you usually wake up at 6AM, you already have 12 hours of IF behind you.

Then, when you're at work and constantly thinking about food because your hunger kick in, make yourself some unsweetened tea. That helps quite a bit.

Also, after a few hours of hunger pangs, they will eventually subside and you will no longer feel hungry. By the time you know it, 6PM rolls around and you can have another yummy supper.

Good luck!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

I am doing my first experiment with IR today. I had dinner last night around 7pm. I haven't eat yet, and plan on eating around 2pm. It hasn't been too bad so far. I have been on PB for a few weeks and have already adjusted to lower calorie. I am definitely looking forward to my lunch.

jennf is offline Senior Member

Curlygirl, I was just saying to someone this morning that I am nervous to IF because I still seem to need my food so bad. Heck, I'm proud of myself for only eating 3xday instead of 5!

I'm going to try to IF on Sunday - it's a quiet day, no strenuous exercise planned, etc. My goal is small - just to fast for 18 hours.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

It's a lot easier if you eat a good lunch, skip dinner, and then see how you feel about breakfast. It helps to have sleep in the middle of it while you adjust to the process. I've just started really trying to incorporate it into my life in the past week, but have experience with it from when I was hardcore primal over the summer. I usually find that when I truly listen to my body, it's that I'm bored or eating out of habit or feeding my emotions. I don't really think of it as "IF" or as something I need vast reserves of willpower for... I just listen to my body until I'm actually TRULY hungry again... and I find that I will eat two meals at a 4 or 5 hour interval, then not be hungry for about 20-24 hours

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I think it's important not to rush into IF-ing too quickly after going Primal as well. Let your body adapt to burning fat first, get used to what meals work for you and how much fat you require to stay satiated longer. When you got all that down, then you can use the tools mentioned above (listen to your body, check to see if hunger is real or psychological, etc.)

I think depending on how carb-dependent you were and how insulin-resistant you may be or have been, working on getting those figured out and healed is more important than IFing.

I've been mostly primal since November, and just recently started IFing to an extent-- just eating dinner at around 5 and then nothing until I'm hungry-ish the next day (so between 10-12). That's 17 to 19 hours... and that's about all my body is comfortable with right now. As I get better, I'm going to try a few longer ones, but definitely listening to what's going on with me.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

curlygirlclaud Guest

Great, thank you all. Actually this has made the concept of IF'ing more clear. I also eat a large lunch and a very small dinner at 5:00 ish and don't eat again until the next morning until i am hungry--9:00 ish. i guess i am actually IF'ing and didn't realize it. Again thanks!

KatFish is offline Junior Member

I've never really been a breakfast person. Most days I have to leave at 5am for uni. As such, IF wasnt exactly a new thing to me. I guess i'm lucky in that respect. However any longer than that was definately harder untill I lowered my carbs and uped my fat intake. It comes naturally after that, I don't really think of food whilst fasting for a day or so. That is untill my body decides it wants to be fed. :P

I also found that keeping my mind and body busy helps.

Good luck and have fun! ;D

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Eat a big ribeye steak for breakfast like I did. You won't be hungry for the rest of the day ;o)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast