Thread: Knee recon page

ljp
    ljp is offline Junior Member

Knee recon

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I am going in for a knee reconstruction in a few days (scary).
    Any tips from other grok/groketts on ways to keep using my leg muscles without risk of injuring my knee after the surgery?
    I will be doing some intense physio to get back to walking and cycling in a few weeks, but any tips would be great.
    Also while i am unable to do much exercise what do you suggest i aim to eat during recovery? I have found i have not been hungry as much while i am sitting around being chair/bed bound the last week. I have still lost a bit of weight, but i am thinking it could be muscle tone (due to me being unable to work out)
    Any motivation, quotes or help in general would be greatly appreciated.

The volleyball cripple.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I think this is something best answered by your physiotherapist. It really depends what your injury is, where any instabilities are, and so on. What worked for me to recover from an MCL tear is not necessarily good for someone who's having ACL surgery or getting a meniscus problem fixed.

However, for recovery, your body is going to need quality protein and fat. I'd make sure you're eating lots of nutrient-dense foods, bone broths, eggs, good meats, and so on.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

b.good is offline Junior Member
    I'm about 3 months off of an ACL reconstruction and Meniscus repair.

I would recommend calf pumps-move your toes forward and back. My doc was very specific about that. Also hip excercises and anything your physical therapist shows you.

Eat lots of fermented foods and veggies to keep your digestion going and I would recommend getting a good probiotic. The doc will have you on antibiotics and some gnarly pain meds that will have you constipated for sure. Also go outside and get some sunshine and fresh air every day. After the first couple weeks you can do lots of planks/stability excersises. and STRETCH! a ton also. You will be happy you did.

Hope this helps. Be patient, the first coupld of weeks suck but it gets better fast!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b.good View Post
    I'm about 3 months off of an ACL reconstruction and Meniscus repair.

I would recommend calf pumps-move your toes forward and back. My doc was very specific about that. Also hip excercises and anything your physical therapist shows you.

Eat lots of fermented foods and veggies to keep your digestion going and I would recommend getting a good probiotic. The doc will have you on antibiotics and some gnarly pain meds that will have you constipated for sure. Also go outside and get some sunshine and fresh air every day. After the first couple weeks you can do lots of planks/stability excersises. and STRETCH! a ton also. You will be happy you did.

Hope this helps. Be patient, the first coupld of weeks suck but it gets better fast!
    This^ +1 I went throught the same procedure, but did not have the nutritional knowledge I have now. It would have been very helpful in recovery, especially the constipation.

ljp
    ljp is offline Junior Member
    the food will have to change! and i am about to go all fermented foods and veg to get my guts back in order. they gave me a very light laxative to improve bowel moisture, so far not working.
    Patience is not my strong suit, but having exercises to do is really helping.
    Calf pumps are great, thank you. I am doing all the hamstring and knee ones from the physio.
    Any specific hip flexor ones you could recommend?
    Sunshine, reading, resting and stretching seems to be my routine for the next little while.
    Thanks for the replies, helps a tonne to read about ways to help myself recover.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    You'll be up and about before you know it. Stay hydrated too, it helps a lot. Rock out with your Grok out!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I'm bicycling a lot this year and have begun to experience a little soreness in my knees as a result. I'm planning on trying very hard to regularly consume bone broth and hope that helps. I know I also just need to let my knees rest more, too, but I'm having so much fun on the bike. So I'm hoping copious amounts of bone broth will help both of us. It's so good for joint health! And you should be able to get it in and keep it down even on a hindered appetite. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have a quick recovery!