Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just starting: constipation page

orielwen is offline Senior Member

Just starting: constipation

So I've been at this for a few days now, eating lots more meat and vegetables than I had been. I seem to be having a bit of a problem pushing it all through. I've read Mark's poo article, but not quite seeing my problem: it doesn't hurt, but I have to strain for ages and then only get small pieces. I feel just a little overfull in that area.

Should I cut down on the vegetables? eat less in general? eat more vegetables? add ground linseeds? Thoughts?

billp is offline Senior Member
    More water. Usually the most important thing. Also make sure you are eating enough animal fat with your meat.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Please check out this website: Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

I have 6+ years of IBS, and the info on this website has been finally helping me to recover.

In a nutshell:
    1)Keep fiber low (10-15 grams/daily or less)
    2)Take a good quality high potency probiotic
    3)Eat some good quality fats

There are other useful things on the website. I'm currently using the GI Recovery supplements and the Hydro C supplement, which is a form of vitamin C that is safe on the stomache and helps to produce bowel movements without the laxative effects. It works like a charm (this from someone who has had the worst results ever from every laxative I've ever tried).

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    So I've been at this for a few days now, eating lots more meat and vegetables than I had been. I seem to be having a bit of a problem pushing it all through. I've read Mark's poo article, but not quite seeing my problem: it doesn't hurt, but I have to strain for ages and then only get small pieces. I feel just a little overfull in that area.

Should I cut down on the vegetables? eat less in general? eat more vegetables? add ground linseeds? Thoughts?
    Drink more water.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Taking a magnesium supplement may help. I had similar issues, but taking 200mg of magnesium chelate twice a day took care of it. I actually started taking the magnesium due to leg cramps at night, which are also no longer a problem.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all. I'm drinking more water and it seems to be helping. You might be right about the magnesium too: I've been waking in the night which I read on another thread might be a sign of lack of magnesium. I'll see if I can spring for some brazil nuts.

kap
    kap is offline Member
    I have found that a pretty good slug of coconut oil gets things moving right along. Especially in the early stages of using it.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post

Gut Sense: Restoring Natural Bowel Movements

Crofter is offline Member
    I found Kefir or live yogurt a help plus a tablespoon of ground flaxseed per day. Plenty of fats in the diet too. It lasted about 2 weeks with me then sorted itself out and I now poo easily and at least once a day.
    I must admit I nearly quit primal by the end of week 2, glad I didn't as I'm so much better eating "clean".

Dave

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Definitely second the magnesium! It will help with digestion, muscle cramps and sleep. Natural Calm, which is magnesium citrate works great! I have had sleep problems since I was like seven and nothing has helped like magnesium!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast