Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Mushroom Sausage Casserole, very low-carb! page 3

Heartland is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I made this tonight. I used fresh cauliflower that I cooked, added lots more onion and some peppers as well. Other than that, did it exactly like the recipe. It was incredibly greasy and I rinsed the sausage after cooking.

The flavor was OK, but the fat was overwhelming. And I am one of those who usually love MORE fat. Not this time. LOL.

sigzephyr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poplou View Post
    I am hoping to try this tonight. Can anyone advise what pork sausage is? Is it actual pork sausages or is it what we buy in Australia labelled pork mince (ground pork)?
    I used pork and fennel sausages and removed the casings.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have a couple of pounds of chicken hearts and gizzards, so I am thinking of making this recipe with cooked chicken innards instead of cooked diced chicken. Hmm?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

tsjoy2write@yahoo.com is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Tealia View Post
    I've been craving a warm hearty casserole for a while, and stumbled upon this one being shared on the web.
    I don't normally share recipes, but man, this sounds like something I can eat every night!
    There's about two pounds of vegetables, and two pounds of meat packed into it!

Only draw back is that it has cheese, but I've never been dairy sensitive myself.
    Perhaps someone knows of a good dairy-free alternative for other Primal forum users?

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
    3-4 cups diced cooked chicken
    1 pound pork sausage
    1 stalk celery, chopped fine
    1 tablespoon onion, chopped
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked well and drained
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    Salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Paprika, optional

Brown the sausage with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir the softened cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all of the ingredients and spread in a greased 9x13" baking dish. If desired, dust the top with paprika. Bake, covered with foil, at 350 for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until hot and bubbly and the top is lightly browned, about 10-15 minutes.

Per 1/8 Recipe: 550 Calories; 40g Fat; 42g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

I made this for a potluck today and it was devoured! Everyone LOVED it! The only things I changed was I left out the onions and instead put about 2 tsps of garlic powder and I mixed about 2 tsps of pakprika into the mix and left out the cheddar until the last 15 min and melted it on top. YUM YUM YUM!!!!!!

praetorian55 is offline Junior Member
    Wife made this on Wednesday - only change was to remove sausage drippings to make it not so greasy (after seeing comments about the grease)

EXCELLENT recipe!!! Everyone ate seconds and loved it! It's even better the next day as leftovers....

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I just made this for dinner and it was really delicious and hearty and so great as a winter meal with a salad. Everyone (primal and non) loved it. I added extra onion and did also remove sausage drippings. Thanks so much, it's always great to add another winner to the repertoire!

shadoemckee is offline Junior Member
    Okay, it was too good to pass up. It's in the oven as I write! Yummmmm! Thank you. After dinner update...really good. I asked Hubby if I should add it to the recipe box and he said, "yeah, I'd eat that anytime!" I also added more onion.
    Last edited by shadoemckee; 01-10-2013 at 05:10 PM.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    This was AWESOME! Kids even went back for seconds!

BTW, I didn't drain any of the grease and it turned out great for me. In fact, I used the same pot that I cooked the chicken in with coconut oil and didn't even drain that out either.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it!

praetorian55 is offline Junior Member

BEST Primal Recipe Yet!

PrimalCon New York
    I just wanted to say that this recipe is amazing. I originally found it some time ago, and specifically searched ou this thread to voice our thanks.

My wife has made it several times and it's simply delicious. The best part is that it keeps so well that she makes it on Monday and I can have it for lunch or dinner for several days after that.

Thanks again!

Modifications:
    She makes it with a rotisserie chicken and drains the grease from the sausage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast