Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any karate players out there? page

adamm is offline Senior Member

Any karate players out there?

Primal Fuel
    Yesterday at class, as I finished a kata (form) and felt my pulse about maxed out, I wondered if this qualifies as a sprint. I mean, I do katas in class, and it I NEED a break after going through a kata three or four times in a row. Heck, I could use a break after doing it once.

My heart rate goes up, I'm breathing like I've run a marathon, and my whole body is fatigued. Now, this is a different feeling than when I run sprints. I mean, I do my proscribed sprints once a week per PB guidelines, but I'm wondering if katas would qualify instead.

Any thoughts on the matter for those who do them intense?

--Me

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Not a karate dude, but I don't think you can do a kata with the intensity for it to qualify as a sprint. Real sprints are all-out as-hard-as-you-can-go efforts. A kata can be performed with some level of intensity, but not high enough to qualify as a sprint.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I think Shadowboxing, and hitting the bag have better potential for all-out intensity. Sometimes, so does sparring, but it depends on how long the rounds are; and how much speed/power will be involved between the two. But, this is just my opinion. Katas, from having talked to a Goju-Ryu practitioner, have a certain rhythm, with respect to execution.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Okay, shadowboxing and bag-hitting I do have experience with. And they can be done with INTENSITY. But it's STILL not sprinting, in my eyes.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't sprint really mean "an all out effort that mimics a fight or flight response"?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Okay, shadowboxing and bag-hitting I do have experience with. And they can be done with INTENSITY. But it's STILL not sprinting, in my eyes.
    I understand your line of reasoning. Most people, when they shadowbox, take their time. Also, they're not using their feet 100% of the time. Same thing goes for the bag.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Quote Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
    Doesn't sprint really mean "an all out effort that mimics a fight or flight response"?
    I think it can be taken that way, in the right context. But, from RichMahogany's standpoint, all out sprinting is something totally taxing/stressing to the body, which is why (I think) we only do it as often as we do (not frequently).

It really depends on how you do your kata. I've done hyung (Korean word - same thing) in tang soo do that leave me wiped out when I'm done with them. The higher in rank you go and the more complex your hyung get, the more likely you will get a "sprint" response when you're done. I don't sprint outside of tang soo do. If aspects of class don't qualify as a sprint, then I'm not getting my sprint training in.

Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    I understand your line of reasoning. Most people, when they shadowbox, take their time. Also, they're not using their feet 100% of the time. Same thing goes for the bag.
    The word "sprint," in this context, doesn't mean "work really hard." It means move with the absolute top intensity you can manage for a short burst.

You can work really hard shadowboxing and/or sparring. I doubt you can reach quite the same level doing kata, but I am willing to concede the point for the sake of the argument.

I'm not saying your proposed exercises aren't worthwhile. I'm saying that the word "sprint" means something different than simply "high-intensity", which is what I think you are confusing it with.

Here's a few ideas I've been thinking of for sprinting that might suit/fit your applications:

Have someone hold a heavy bag and throw a 50 punch/kick combination (10 5-strike combinations, something you won't have to stop and think to remember) as hard and fast as you can, letting form go slightly out the window for the sake of all-out intensity.

Have someone bigger/stronger/better at wrestling than you stand with his back to the cage. You each get one underhook. For 20 or 30 second stretches, try to take him down like your life depends on it. You should fail. If you don't fail, get a better partner. Rest 1 minute, repeat.

If you have enough space, pick up a like-sized partner as if you were gonna judo-throw him, then sprint across the dojo/academy/gym/whatever. When you get there, put him down. He gets to pick you up and sprint.

Any other suggestions? I'm always looking for way to incorporate sprints into training. Thanks.

HavMom is offline Junior Member
    I doubt a kata or form would qualify as a sprint. I taught taekwondo and even the Black belt forms with 81+ moves and lots of kicks are generally not done fast although doing them several times together is a bit of a workout. However, I would compare sparring or mad minutes on the heavy bag equal to sprinting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast