Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dates and Raisins during race? page

RoyHerb is offline Junior Member

Dates and Raisins during race?

Primal Fuel
    I'm very new to Primal eating, but have been dedicated to it for about a week now. I am a marathon runner, and have completed several fulls and halfs. I haven't eaten any processed carbs in the past week and am feeling fantastic! I have a half marathon coming up and I'm a little nervous about what to eat during my race. Usually for a half, I'll do one gel, but am a little scared that introducing it into my system might upset my stomach. My current thought is that I might replace my gu with a date or two, or maybe an ounce of raisins? They have the same carb count as the Gu plus loads of potassium. They don't have the sodium, but I do drink Nuun during any long run and am thinking it should be enough sodium to keep me going. Has anybody experimented with raisins or dates during long runs or races?

Thanks!

JimmyDamage is online now Senior Member
    Check this out first:
    How to Fuel a Marathon | Mark's Daily Apple

I will usually eat a few eggs and a piece of fruit before going on long runs and have been feeling great!

I have read that post. I have trained low and raced high even before I went paleo. I know what I want to eat before I run, the night before and the morning of. My concern is DURING the race. Taste is important to me... I'm not going to make some concoction that's described as "not astoundingly delicious" I would just use a gel and chalk it up to my 20%, but I'm afraid it will upset my stomach at this point. I need something carby, with electrolytes, that is portable...

Dates and raisins should be fine. I'm working towards a half (from couch-sloth a couple of years ago) and find on longer runs that Larabars (mostly dates, plus other Primal ingredients) make a solid and portable choice. But dates and raisins would be nice, compact energy sources.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    dates and the high fructose dried fruits are actually great for long runs. you're depleting liver glycogen quite a bit (!), and the fructose is really efficient at repleneshing. they're whole foods, and a lightweight choice.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I've used dates for long runs. They are awesome. I used to use dried apricots until I realized that they are really low glycemic. I switched to dates, which are like rocket fuel in terms of the GI. Easier to chew, too, when you are breathing heavily.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    dates don't make y'all cramp up? I don't run long distances but i have eaten dates on long bike rides and i know for myself that there is def a limit on dates that i must respect else there is intestinal distress!

When I read the nutritionals, one date is equivalent to one whole GU carb-wise. Maybe if you cramped you got too many carbs?

JimmyDamage is online now Senior Member
    At what mileage would you all recomend starting to usea carb boost? And what are we talking here 2-3 dates at a time?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't normally use a GU unless my run is well over an hour--closer to two. That is an individual call, though, everybody's body is different. My plan is to pop a date instead of one GU, so not more than one an hour. Like I said, I haven't tried it... but that's what I'm envisioning working, just from the nutritional information I read, but I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure yet.

Here is the information I found online:

GU:
    Calories: 100
    Fat: 1.5
    Sodium: 65 mg
    Potassium: 60 mg
    Carbs: 20 g
    Protein: 1 g

1 Date:
    Calories: 78
    Fat: 0 g
    Sodium: 0 g
    Potassium: 195 mg
    Carbs: 21 g
    Protein: 1 g

So if you chose to replace a gel with a date, you'd have to make sure you're getting your sodium somewhere else, such as salt tabs or a sports drink. I use Nuun, which is not PB approved, but sugar and calorie free, so it works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast