Thread: Proposal to give statins to all over 50s in the UK! page

Proposal to give statins to all over 50s in the UK!

Primal Fuel

Sugar is my nicotine...

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    yep -- makes me angry!

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully NICE will decide that it isn't cost-effective to spend all that money on statins. (It works these things out using a formula that works out how much it costs versus how many years of decent-quality life are added with the intervention.) It would make their task easier if there was a randomised controlled trial comparing a low-fat diet intervention with statins, but I don't believe there is one. The evidence as it stands shows that statins do work to stop people dying of heart disease.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Are they insane!? I thought it must be April 1st for a moment. If they'd seen what they can do to people - my mother lost her sight (thankfully temporarily) due to the effect on her muscles and suffered a lot of other side effects as well. Bloody moronic brainwashed doctors.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    No, actully its a great plan, think of all the money they will save by not having to pay out years of benifits to all those retired people if they shorten their life 5-10 years
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

peril is offline Senior Member
    Based on a meta-analysis, which are far from being definitive. Would be good to know how old are the studies. Any drug trial conducted before the protocols were improved after the vioxx scandal is suspect. Using any in a meta-analysis makes that analysis suspect
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    No, actully its a great plan, think of all the money they will save by not having to pay out years of benifits to all those retired people if they shorten their life 5-10 years
    Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory, & I'm seriously beginning to wonder about this one. Statins, stents & official diet advice are all relatively cheap ways of making people die younger, & the only aid to quitting smoking that's really effective (e-cigs) is the only one that isn't endorsed by the NHS. The result, as you say, is a big saving in pension & benefits costs.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    A decently-performed meta-analysis is quite definitive, as long as you stay within the bounds originally set. It's a bit of a leap from 'statins are better than doing nothing' to 'statins are a better and more cost-effective means of reducing deaths from heart disease than other interventions such as lifestyle change'. The paper quoted addressed only the first proposition. NICE, rightly, will be looking at the second proposition as it analyses this paper. It is under absolutely no obligation to take any heed of the recommendation in this paper's conclusions.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member

typo

As long as I can sell my prescribed statins on to someone who feels they genuinely need them without making a loss, I'll roll with it. If the NHS gives them away in an attempt to force them down my throat then I'll make a tidy profit selling mine on.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 05-18-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.