Page 89 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 89

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'll admit I haven't followed you from the beginning. The progress you've made in the short time I've "known" you though, is staggering. You are an inspiration to those of us working both for a functional body and against what our body is doing wrong.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Wow. Such an amazing recovery. It was about a year ago that I started participating (rather than just reading) in your journal. Even though we "witnessed" the changes it is still hard to fathom. It gives me hope for us all no matter what our issues may be.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I sure remember, especially since yours was one of the first journals I read. It's an amazing transformation. Brava, baby!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Wednesday and Thursday were pretty boring dinner days.

Burgers coated in the same garlic, herb, and all the chilis mix as those pork chops earlier... and salad with creamy chipotle dressing.
    Chicken breasts soaked in balsamic, tossed in garlic and herbs, grilled. Salad with creamy pesto dressing.

Now last night... Last night things got interesting.
    Actually all of yesterday.
    Husband got a call around noon from a friend about heading to Richloam to go trail riding/mudding with a friend but our Bronco hasn't been behaving that great lately. So he runs to the parts store to get some new fuel line and clamps.
    Then he gets a call from the office saying he has to come in a do some additional paperwork for a scene/dogbite he was on a couple of days ago... so there I am changing the fuel lines myself while he goes to the nice air conditioned office.
    He gets back, fuel lines are changed, truck is running great... time to take it too the woods!

We load up the things one needs... I fill my 70oz camelback. He fills a pair of those huge insulated bucket mugs... since we don't have a cooler spot welded into our bed yet so it can be strapped down properly. I get my waterproof neoprene lunch bag thing that our phones/wallets and gun goes in, plus a small towel for padding. Tool kit under the seat. Grab a towel.
    Off we go.
    There are two trucks, us in the 73 Bronco lifted 4inches on 36s and a Samurai on toyota running gear, lifted 6 on 39s. That's how you do it when you are heading to the middle of no where into the shit.

And all was going great!
    Until.
    The samurai drove himself off into a hole that looked like it had been made by a bunch of freaking deuce and a halfs... and high centered.
    OK, no problem... that's why there are two trucks here, right!
    We back our Bronco up to him, hoo the tow strap to our hook, and as soon as husband lets off the clutch the Bronco chooses that moment to die. And when he goes to start it... spins the starter. Bzzzzzzzzz. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's toast.
    Murphy was so hard at work in that moment there are just no words.

No cell service in current location.
    No way to tell someone where we are anyway, really.
    What to do... Hmm.
    You got it.
    Walk.
    Time for a lovely nature hike!

It was a long walk too.
    Along squishy sandy roads, over things, through water, around water through the woods at times where the water would be waist deep...
    Along the way husband managed to find cell reception on his phone a few times and made some phone calls. He found a friend who would go to the parts store and meet us at the hard road with a starter for the Bronco.
    I used my phone and an app to track us. We walked about 4 miles to get to the hard road to meet the person who brought us the starter, then we ran into another person who was trucking around Richloam but didn't have 4x4 so the couldn't take us all the way back to our trucks, but did drive us part of the back on the easy sections of road.
    All total we walked about 6 miles.
    Folks. That's 10 freaking K. A decent portion of it in the heat of the day.
    Yeah, I was feeling pretty stressed by the end of it... My head was aching and I was seeing streamers pretty bad, and I just needed to sit the hell down. But I was basically all right.
    And all I had 'eaten' all day was my morning iced coffee and a 2/$1 pack of "Deluxe Mixed Nuts' that I wiped as much salt off of as possible.
    My fingers were also getting numb from potassium depletion, but that's a particular issue for me because of my meds.

It was actually nice walking through the woods... once it got dark I got to see fireflys!
    I haven't seen fireflys in years... you just don't see them down here in FL the way you do up north.
    The friend on my husbands who was with us I felt really bad for though. He's really out of shape.
    I had to actually slow my pace and stay back with him so my husband could hurry on to the hard top road to meet the person bringing the parts.

The only bad thing that happend was an small fail on both mine and my husbands part.
    Once we got the starter back in the Bronco I got in while the guys rehooked with longer straps, and I was really tired and not paying much attention. And so was husband.
    So he just got in and started to set up for the pull.
    And when he hit the end of the tow strap the other truck was stuck really bad, didn't budge, and I got flung into the windshield... because I was just resting and not prepared/buckled and all that shit.
    My forehead hit the metal top bar of the windshield. I you know how and early Bronco is built... it's just a flat window.
    It made a little lump, and busted the skin a bit.
    Husband said it was so fast he didn't even see me hit, because it threw me right back in my seat.
    He asked me what happened, and I was all "WTF do you mean WHAT HAPPENED, my head fucking happened".
    Ouch.
    I got out of the truck and held onto my poor aching melon for the rest of the pill out. Heh.

Then, flashlights and assessment.
    Not too bad. I did take the opportunity to make husband feel right bad about it though.
    It's not even purple or anything today.

I drank a 'Cucumber Lime' gatorade on the way home... I figured what the hell.
    I needed some potassium.
    That flavor is probably the tastiest gatorade flavor I've ever tried BTW.
    Pictures of stupid truck debacle will be posted...
    It's just stupid trucks.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

I must also say that my least favorite pair of VFFs, my Bilikas, served me VERY well yesterday.
    They are obviously made a bit more 'sturdy' for a reason.
    By husband and the other guy were wearing standard tennis shoes and neither of them fared as well as I did.

It was requested that I take a few pics of the situation.
    I did... then I was in the mud along side my husband pulling that shot starter.
    Bleh.

Anyway...

Last edited by cori93437; 06-15-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

And the journey begins...
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Bet it felt mighty good to not be the slow one anymore!

Never been mudding, but it always looked like a lot of fun.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

It wasn't so much that... it was not having any fear.

I walked four miles out and was expecting to have to walk a full four back in and had no fear.
    I figured I could do it.
    That felt pretty amazing.
    Turned out I only had to walk back in 2 of those 4... but still.
    I could have.
    It might not have been at a race pace... but I COULD have done it.
    I did 10k yesterday...
    I amaze myself sometimes.
    Sure, I haven't done much of shit today though... there are wee sorenesses all about.

I was worried about our friend though.
    While I was hanging back with him I talked to him some about me not being able to walk at all last year... not but a block or two a year ago, and just 6 months ago I'd have to only go like 1 mile on my walks.
    Working up to things slowly is fine.
    Being "healthier" without being someone else's ideal of "Healthy" is fine.
    You have to just do things for yourself.
    I hope some of it helped him.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    My friend C has a cousin with a Samurai. He's been patching that thing up and it looks pretty awesome (read: great for off-roading, but shit for cosmetics). Super sturdy.

I can't find my photos of my baja bug getting stuck in the mud on my one off-roading trip

We called the water "poop latte" because it smelled like the former and looked like the latter.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ahhh Father's Day.
    I wonder how I feel about that?
    Let's see...

and

Make of those that you will.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 89 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast