Page 88 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 88

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    We love Hofman's Hot Dogs. Haven't tried the snaps...yet. They renamed them Coneys.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Trust me, you must try the Snaps!

Yeah, they renamed them... but they will never be anything but Snaps/Snappys to me.
    My husband's family is from upstate NY and so they have been eating them FOREVER. It's the only brand they eat. They are all loyal like that.
    For a long time the only way we could get them was when his aunt would bring a bunch with her when she would come down on vacation. Then the internet got going good and we could order our own from the website...
    But now it's better. It seems that there are enough NY'ers living in FL now that there is a good demand for them to be stocked locally in our area! LOL
    So, no having to buy in bulk and freeze. I can just grab a pack of fresh ones at the store now and then.
    It makes me insanely happy.
    You should have seen the ridiculous jumping up and down happy dance I did the day I first found them and presented them to my husband upon returning home with my treasure.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Backing up a bit...

During the monsoon on Saturday there were winds.
    Winds weakened a big branch in a BIG tree in our back yard.
    It's a Chinaberry tree pretty much at it's maximum height and spread. No small thing at all.
    Late Saturday night, after all the rain and wind had stopped, the branch fell.
    It didn't hit anything fortunately. Other than the ground.
    But it did present husband and I with a mess to clean up.
    This was accomplished on Monday with saws and wheelbarrows, and all the regular accouterments.

Anyway. The point of all this is that I impressed myself.
    Husband ran the saw, but with his bad knee(two surgeries last year) he didn't need to be doing too much of the lifting of the cut pieces... especially since he would be back lifting them and likely hurt himself.
    So we cleared the brushy stuff and I pushed it to the appointed place in the wheelbarrow, uphill every time of course.
    Then I started loading up the pieces of cut wood ever increasing in size.
    Husband was done with the saw before I was of course and he watched me squat, ass to grass, to lift a large piece and he was actually impressed. He noted that there was no way he could even go down that far and get back up.
    So there it is.
    I was lifting "weight"!
    Not lifting heavy by any means, to do such still wrecks my head immediately, but I was lifting weight on my squats.
    And that's pretty good.
    I still managed my 5k walk with the boys later too.
    I often still get visual streamer type disturbances during and towards the end of my walks, but I'm maintaining fine... so I keep at it.

For dinner on Monday I made pork chops.
    I only do one kind of chops, the center cut loin type... obscenely thick.
    I guess that's the porterhouse equivalent on a pig. About 2 inches thick.
    I threw a bit of sea salt at them and cracked some pepper on, then massaged an EVOO and fiery spice blend of dried garlic, herbs, and all the chilis(chili flake, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, cayenne, and ancho chili) onto them.
    Then- grill. I like my pork pink.
    They were delicious. So big neither of us ate the whole things, but really delicious.
    There was salad too... creamy garlicky dressing.

Tomorrow is CSA day... which means today is sort of clean out the refrigerator and use up the things day.

My chop was a good bit smaller than husbands... there wasn't much of it left.
    I ate it as a bit of a snack cold around 2 today along with half of a small avocado and some smears of that Churri I have.

Husband had his leftover half of his really huge chop for dinner as a repeat.
    More salad, plus a couple of slices of cantaloupe(1/4 of a small melon).

I didn't have that option having just the small bit of my chop earlier for a snack, sooo...
    A saute of half a bulb of fennel and a half a zucchini squash left from other pursuits earlier in the week, added some caramelized onions left from my Snaps the other night. A pinch of sea salt and few grinds of pepper keeping it simple.
    3 duck eggs whisked with a slash of cream. Into skillet to set, fold, and slide out. Plated next to vegetables.
    3 small tomatoes cut into bite sized wedges. Piled into the seam between eggs and veg. Sprinkled with a pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
    Dollop of Crema Mexicana.
    Tops of fennel added to finished plate.
    Really nice make-do dinner.

I need more duck eggs now.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-12-2013 at 12:11 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

So...after writing last nights post I was thinking, because while we were walking the boys last night husband and I were talking a bit, and I was whining about sweating BALLS on our walk.

Last nights route was our longer one, 3 and 1/4 miles, and it had rained most of the day. So though it was cool it was about 97% humidity. I may have complained about needing a butt massage too from the weighted squats...
    Husband pointed out the obvious. "At least you can."
    Point taken.
    So I was thinking about where I was a year ago right "now" and couldn't really remember... Silly me.
    I looked through my journal and found it easily enough. Page 13 and 14 if you are curious.
    I was waxing melancholic about my motorcycle and car that I hadn't ridden in forever... still haven't ridden the bike and it's still in the garage waiting to be sold(I'm really good at dragging my feet, there is a man waiting patiently to give me money.). I have driven the car a few times. But I'm still reticent about my old driving habits... I drive very little, and I've considering selling little car too. My life is very different now, and I'm trying to learn new ways of living it.

Anyway...
    I was also barely able to walk a block or two to the library by myself.
    My brain issues were actually getting worse instead of better despite being on a maxed out dose of one medication and I was facing possible shunt placement.
    Ahhhhh... perspective.
    No. I'm not the incredible shrinking woman, but recovery from such an illness is no small thing.
    Weight loss is ever so slow with me. Though a couple of people tell me I look "smaller" lately the scale does not indicate this change, though smaller sized bra band needs and gaping pants waist bands do... exchanging muscle for fat is an acceptable middle ground.
    And I haven't been weighing myself lately in bit of internal sister feels with Paula's Whole 30.
    Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Maybe I'll get to roll my eyes at the scale like normal.
    Either way I feel healthy.
    Not "thin" or "skinny" or "perfect" but HEALTHY and HAPPY, and that's what I'm here for.
    Sometimes it's hard to believe that I got what I asked for... and a little too easy to forget.
    *oofff teared up a bit there*
    Love you guys!
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Love you too cori. Sounds like you have come a long way, though being a dude and all I am wondering how you said the words 'butt massage' and your husband's first response was not, "okay then, lets go home and take care of that.'

Healthy and happy is the way to go. So happy for you.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

I'm low sodium... but I do use a little bit for flavor these days.

My daily intake is maybe pinch or two since I IF and it's just the one meal.
    I'm very sensitive to the flavor since I eat so little of it... so it works.
    This is also easier now that my medication needs are so low and my head is under better control.

Of course... eating out is still a bit of nightmare, and eating those Snaps is dicey, but neither is often.
    I have to take an extra dose of medication on those days to deal with the rise in fluid retention from the excess sodium.
    The other problem with eating out is sometimes things are overly salty tasting since I'm so used to eating LOW sodium. I have to go places that are really willing to cook to order... and stick to places I know have things that aren't horrible sodium bombs.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    So glad you're here with us to tell us about your recovery, at whatever pace it takes.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    It's funny how much it helps to remind you where you were and how different that is from where you are now.

Hooray for the LHT! And, really, being able to squat and lift logs is way more useful than being able to squat and lift iron
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

badgergirl is offline Senior Member
    You're doing so very wonderfully well and I'm very glad about that.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Food sounds wonderful! Grilled chops are the bomb!

Good for you on the LHT! Too bad for the tree though...

Yeah on the physical healing and progress!

And I have to agree with Canio..... butt massages are best done sooner rather than later...

Page 88 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast