Page 85 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 85

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Congrats on the new "little" one!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I'm lost... what's GSD? Is that a breed of German Shepard? Congratulations. He's very pretty.

We got a cat named Sophia and promptly renamed her Brinn, however, we usually refer to her as "CAT" in a loud, thunderous, get-the-hell-off-the-counter or stop-clawing-the-couch voice.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    That one took me forever, too. GSD- German Shepard Dog. Not sure why they have to specify that it's a dog, though . . .
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    That one took me forever, too. GSD- German Shepard Dog. Not sure why they have to specify that it's a dog, though . . .
    Yeah, I have never understood that either but it seems to be the commonly used abreviation. That said I don't get DH or DD or any of that either. Especially when it is "My DH is being a total jackass today..." so yeah, explain why you are calling him your Dear/Darling Husband again?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    We got a cat named Sophia and promptly renamed her Brinn, however, we usually refer to her as "CAT" in a loud, thunderous, get-the-hell-off-the-counter or stop-clawing-the-couch voice.
    Fae was named "Moose". Such an awful name for such a beautiful cat. She is also known as "fat cat", "sweetness" (Hulky hates that one and has started picking it up :-p), "kitty", "love muffin" (I call Hulky this too) and "CAT" (when she's meowing incessantly or scratching...it doesn't work). Also "Jesus F'ing Christ" when I trip over her in the dark. Hazards of having a navy blue carpet and a mostly-black cat.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    GSD- here in America the common speech version or whatever is "German Shepherd", but in the larger dog community... as in including Europe where the sweet babies are from... the proper term for them is actually German Shepherd Dog. That's actually what they are called. Translate Deutscher Schaferhund and that's what you get. GSD is just more correct.

It's just a thing. Most people not around them don't know so it's no big deal... I forget and use GSD all the time.
    Look up info of German Shepherd's on any breed website, including wiki, and you will quickly realize how fast it goes from a title with the Americanized version to all GSD all the time.

If I didn't leave my phone in the kitchen I'd take a pic of the big guy laying next to me right now. He is integrating into our family really well.

As far as names... I'm not sure it matters quite as much if cats do a solid recall. With a 100+lb dog, and Gunnar is supposed to be at 109 and very slim so we are looking to add about 20lbs to his frame, a good name recognition and recall, and other obedience, is extremely important IMO.
    His training to Gunnar is going very smoothly just as I thought it would due to it sounding so much like his previous name. And also working on just his general comfort in this new family and response to recall... and giving lots of affection and treats.
    Supposedly he was NOT able to be crated previously... I bought him a crate anyway. And I already have him choosing to go lay in it on his own sometimes. Positive reinforcement is a beautiful thing.
    And for being such a huge boy Gunn is a sensitive flower... and a bit of a cuddly bug, and smart of course! <3

Saturday when waiting for the meeting I was so nervous. And then his owner was a little late, so I thought maybe she had changed her mind... But then she finally called and we took our guy, Tommy, over to the dog park to meet her at about 3:45. The two big white shepherds checked each other out with some good normal dog sniffing, then strolled around together. We let them do their thing for a while to see if there would be any problems. Nope. A little posturing play, which is normal between two guys... but nothing more. We tossed a frisbee for them and there was no aggression in the competition. They drank from the fountain together.

So we sat down to talk. This woman really didn't want to give her dog up, and my heart went out to her. She is in a tough spot personally... losing her home, gone through a messy divorce from a marriage that ended because of domestic violence. She was very, very emotional. There was crying, and hand holding, and even some hugging. I told her about some of my own hard times to try and help her see that sometimes the dark spots are there to help you appreciate the brightness in the world... it depends on what you focus on. You move forward and things do get better. So we came to the house so she could see where he would be living and see how he would interact with the littles too... it went fine. They all played in our big back yard. We explained that we expect mistakes from new guys moving in and that it's no big deal... things happen and positive training and all that. And she actually decided to leave him with us... she left at about 7:40.
    She had been looking for a home for Gunner for about 6 months and just not found someone she was comfortable with, I guess I'm just glad that my husband and I could give her that sense of peace along with giving him a good home... because he is giving back to us already.
    Also... I'm keeping some contact with her. I offered her that so that she can see updates and pics of Gunnar sometimes.

It's a win for everyone. I think that Gunn was getting stressed in her home by the stress level there. He had some possible bad habits according to her... not able to crate, greedy finger-bitey treat taking, and some food aggression with her other dog (which IMO was her other dog's food aggression not his).
    We simply are not having those issues or are smoothing them out so fast as to make them non-issues. It took one day to get him to be comfortable choosing to lay in a crate in his own. No, I'm not going to shut him in and leave him in it anytime soon. Training. He did get my husbands fingers twice the first day... we did some positive reinforcement for "easy" and he is extremely, extremely gentle since. We continue to reinforce. And we are monitoring for any food aggression issues between our pack members. We do not allow that mess.

Anyway.
    That's the story of how Gunnar came to live with us.
    Sometimes things fall in your lap. I feel good about it.
    We helped a dog, the owner was getting so close to having to move for fear of eviction that she was beginning to fear having to take Gunn to the Humane Society or whatever, which is why we always adopt/rescue.
    Husband (and I) got a great new 'kid', and we really helped a person too.
    Everyone won on Saturday.

Edit: as a side note... my cousin pointed out to me that even though I didn't even realize I'd done it I gave Gunnar a famous "twin" name... Since as I pointed the other day Thomas is greek for twins.
    I LOL'd.
    Back in the day it was a rock band called Nelson --> Gunnar and Matthew Nelson, twin sons of Ricky Nelson, and grandsons of Ozzie and Harriet Nelson.
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-03-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

canio6 Guest
    Great story So happy for all involved.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Emerson, AKA the mountain lion was a sweetheart. He was also known as "Goddammit!," "Damn Cat!," and "Sonuvabaitch."
    Patch was "Demon Kitty," "Goddammit!" "Ow!" and "Little Shit."
    Valentino is also "Chinese Family Pack," "Johnny Depp," and "Dumb Shit."
    Bob is "Cheesecake," "Goddammit!" and the "Blob."
    Punk is "Fu Manchu," "Orange Puppy," and "Goddammit, get out of there!"
    Butch was also "Dog" and "Take a Hike."
    Kasumi (my current mutt) is also "Froot Loop," "Goddammit," "Sweetheart," and "Squeakysqueaky."
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I got a little teary-eyed. Glad Gunnar is settling in so nicely.

Feeding a dog treats when they are super gentle is my FAVORITE. Sasha has always been super gentle with that.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's fantastic that it's a win all around! And I bet she's double-happy that you're going to let her keep in touch with her furbaby.

I think this house's dog is getting familiar with "Oy!"
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Page 85 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast