Page 81 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 81

Shop Now
    Oh, there are a lot of shitty gins. Gins that taste like cough syrup.

I hadn't had gin since my 20s, then read an article that literally piqued my interest enough to give them a try again. Same with bourbon and Scotch.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Oh, there are a lot of shitty gins. Gins that taste like cough syrup.

I hadn't had gin since my 20s, then read an article that literally piqued my interest enough to give them a try again. Same with bourbon and Scotch.
    With gin it's pretty much anything that is juniper forward that puts me off... I've tentatively tried a few of the ones that are supposed to be better such as Sapphire.
    Hendrick's and I get along. So that's where I stay. It's a safe place for gin and me.
    Gin is not one of my more adventurous avenues.

Bourbons I LOVE, and I'm a genuine snob over.
    And Rums.
    Scotch I admit I have not learned to like yet... I try on occasion. And fail. I was given Dewar's White Label awfulness by an alcoholic relative because they thought it would be funny when I was a child. ICK.
    I do like a few Irish Whiskeys though... Red Breast 12yr is my solid go to.
    Tequilas too I'm picky about and enjoy if they are good... but GRRRR *angry face* at the bad ones.

As little as I actually drink, you'd think I was an alcoholic by my liquor collection!
    That's what husband teases me about anyway.
    I once bought a small bottle of Remy VSOP(they had crap for cognac selection, and I was leaving it at brother's house anyway) and a decent bottle of Chardonnay (Jadot,$15 maybe) while visiting my brother... and the cashier lady wanted to know if I wanted the little bottle of Remy bagged separately for the ride home. I think she thought I was going to DRINK it. And I was all momentarily confused and said "No, I'm just baking a chicken..." Which really got her attention I guess, because then she looked at me like I had two heads. Silly rural folks.
    Admittedly, cooking generally only takes about half a bottle of wine, which means the cook should enjoy the other half during the meal preparation IMO.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-26-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Admittedly, cooking generally only takes about half a bottle of wine, which means the cook should enjoy the other half during the meal preparation IMO.
    There's a lot of truth to that, and I think the dearly departed Ms. Childs would agree also. She was one of the first to advise that we never cook with a wine that we wouldn't drink. And then when we watched her cook, she showed us why.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    There's a lot of truth to that, and I think the dearly departed Ms. Childs would agree also. She was one of the first to advise that we never cook with a wine that we wouldn't drink. And then when we watched her cook, she showed us why.
    I loved watching Julia Child when I was growing up... on PBS I believe. The old black and white programs. Heck, I still like catching those old shows sometimes.
    I'm pretty sure that watching her informed/formed my ability to cook, which I have done from a very early age, as much as spending time with my grandmothers in their kitchens did.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Hell yeah, PBS. That's all my mom watched for a long time, so it's all I watched too. We used to watch This Old House and Yankee Workshop with my dad.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    PBS was about all we kids were allowed to watch up until I was 6 or 7. I knew Fraggle Rock, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Sesame Street like most kids knew Transformers.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    PBS was about all we kids were allowed to watch up until I was 6 or 7. I knew Fraggle Rock, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Sesame Street like most kids knew Transformers.
    I cried when Fred Rogers died. It was like losing a member of the family.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    You might be interested in this: 35 Facts About Mr. Fred Rogers - mental_floss on YouTube (Ep.2) - YouTube. I'm a big fan also.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    You might be interested in this: 35 Facts About Mr. Fred Rogers - mental_floss on YouTube (Ep.2) - YouTube. I'm a big fan also.
    That was awesome!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I cried when Fred Rogers died. It was like losing a member of the family.
    It really was. I think I cried more for him than for some family members.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Page 81 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast