Page 80 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 80

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I agree.

Do you suppose, as cave dwellers, we were monogamous or do you think we slept around? That'd be an interesting study.
    I think that there was a sort of monogamous pair bonding... but not necessarily the sort of permanent "marriage" pairing we think of today because of hugely different factors. The village = family factor mostly. More like serial monogamy perhaps, plus some sleeping around.
    Pair bonding seems very natural for humans. Even for those who are seed spreaders and go through periods of "I must have them all" there is usually eventually a special bond formed with another human.
    Also, even in the most primitive tribal groups there are expectations to partners with whom there are offspring... I'm quite sure that this developed very early in human development as it is the best solution for all concerned in the group.

However, I think that the book Sex at Dawn is probably closest to the mark. Things were pretty egalitarian. I don't think that there was so much ownership of the opposite sex. That doesn't make sense until later in history when the passing down of fortunes came into being; women=property because of heirs. This is the modern way of thinking about sex. (Uggghhh, and the way uneducated males are always saying that in prehistory human males just basically raped whatever woman they wanted.)

There are actually some small tribes still in existence where it is taboo for a woman to have more than two children with the same husband, and all the women have multiple husbands. This taboo likely came about because of the small genetic pools that they lived in. In this case not putting all of your genetic eggs in the same basket makes the most sense, and that would have been likely for our ancestors even further back as well. A female producing all of her offspring with only one male in her lifetime does not allow for good genetic variability in small gene pool situations... plus if a disease/illness were to strike it would increase the likelihood of all the offspring succumbing. Bad odds indeed.
    And of course in history their are many cultures that looked on sex before marriage as normal and natural, indeed in some a pregnancy preceding the "marriage" was almost required as a blessing.

Perhaps with very early peoples they didn't even consider the pairings so important with youth, because babies were so precious and easily lost, and were a group effort to raise anyway. Perhaps the more permanent pair bondings really only happened in their own time as they aged a bit. The ones who survived longer surely would have formed closer bonds as they aged...
    Just a thought.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Gotta love serial monogamy. Best of both worlds. I've had three relationships that were longer than seven years, and three that were about three years. So I've been paired up in years for just over half my life, but I also got to trash around and sow some wild oats. (One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, whore. LOL) The trashy times in my life were just as satisfying as the paired times but for different reasons.

It would be nice to pair up one last time for this final push to eternity, but at my age, a lot of the good ones are either taken or dead. haha!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Hear, hear!
    A toast to ALL the times, the mellow and the bawdy!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Ohhhh... this deliciousness is happening at my house ASAP!
    Ginger Beer Concentrate Recipe - Cookie and Kate

I may leave out the sweetener from the concentrate completely and then try it with adding the vanilla stevia liquid I like on a per drink basis. I can always make up a bottle of some syrup from my organic raw cane sugar (sucanat) to add to it as well to sweeten after mixing for husband since he prefers the real deal. Though husband is not generally a fan of my super spicy ginger beers... maybe he'll like it at half dose? LOL

I'll be drinking ginger-lime-mint sodas all lovely summer long!
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes, this seems about right... LOL
    (I actually saw the male spoof version first as I don't watch TV to see regular commercials... I had to look the real version up to compare.)

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Ohhhh... this deliciousness is happening at my house ASAP!
    Ginger Beer Concentrate Recipe - Cookie and Kate

I may leave out the sweetener from the concentrate completely and then try it with adding the vanilla stevia liquid I like on a per drink basis. I can always make up a bottle of some syrup from my organic raw cane sugar (sucanat) to add to it as well to sweeten after mixing for husband since he prefers the real deal. Though husband is not generally a fan of my super spicy ginger beers... maybe he'll like it at half dose? LOL

I'll be drinking ginger-lime-mint sodas all lovely summer long!
    That looks awesome! I bookmarked that one fersure.

Come summer, what alcohol would pair well with that, do you think?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    That looks awesome! I bookmarked that one fersure.

Come summer, what alcohol would pair well with that, do you think?
    All of them.
    Rums in particuar for a good Dark and Stormy. You could choose a clear rum for a cleaner taste though.
    Hendrick's Gin. (The only gin I drink... YMMV, preference and all.)
    Bourbon of course (good bourbon)... with a bit of mint added IMO.

Vodka- the Moscow Mule is really tasty if you make it with some added vanilla, and a splash of pear nectar! (I use vanilla bean paste.)
    Hell... I guess that's not really a Moscow Mule anymore, but it's a fine drink.

There is a drinks list at the bottom of that page!
    I love all drinks LIME and Ginger! It's a bit of an obsession. I play with them.

It occurs to me that I've never really done tequila with gingerbeer.
    Hmm... it does seem that there might just be a flavor clash there.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-26-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Oh, they all look good. In 32 days, I'm going to the one grocery store I know that has fresh ginger and a great alcohol selection.

B*tch-lite

Hendrick's gin isn't the only one I will drink - I enjoy good old Tangueray and can switch up with some Bombay Sapphire - but it is truly my fave. Odd how tastes change, used to hate gin, and now am a gin snob. That's not a martini... it has vodka in it.

Yes, thoughts are turning to booze, the countdown has begun. This week has lasted, by my estimation, approximately all fargin year long.

My thing with Hendrick's is easily explainable.
    When I was 16 I had a night with a fifth of cheap gin in which I consumed near the entire thing neat, right from the neck of the bottle.
    I didn't touch, or really even get NEAR gin again for years.
    *shiver*

Now I find Hendrick's pleasant because it is herbal and complex in a good way, without it shoving juniper berries in my face in a way that makes me want to run screaming from *omg what have I done to myself* flashbacks. Heh.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 80 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast