Page 78 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 78

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I know I haven't been around forever- but this made me think of you, Cori, when I saw it: About the Project | Crochet Coral Reef
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    That is fabulous!

My Clownfishes (Mac & Cheese) have just nested again this month, and this one looks to be a doozie.

Last month they hatched maybe 10 little babies... because of low fertility.
    Before that they had been eating all the eggs for a long time, or just not nesting for a while.
    (A lull in breeding activity is normal sometimes.)
    This time it looks like the managed to have a couple of hundred good eggs.

Now... nothing will come of it regardless. The community tank is not a proper environment to raise fry.
    Fry raising is hard business that takes a ton of work and several tanks of pretty much microscopic live foods brewing to achieve.
    I'm not into that.
    Plus their preferred nesting site is on a stationary surface that cannot be removed to a safe tank for hatching.
    Fry are food for the tank basically... or get filtered into the pumps.
    It's a tough world... even in a secure artificial one where meals are free and guaranteed .

But it lets me know that my old fish are still in top shape.
    And their parenting/nest antics are cute.
    The male really tends the nest, the female not so much... She mostly just meanders around and eats and makes a new big belly full of eggs for the next nest after those hatch.
    Unlike portrayed in the movie Finding Nemo, once the fry hatch the parents are DONE.
    They will eat the little fry boogers just like every other fish until they get big enough to be a recognizable juvenile fish.
    Most breeders keep the parents in a situation where they have a flat tile to lay on and then remove the tile when hatch is imminent if they plant to raise the fry.

I'm hoping this time I will actually get to see a few hatch...
    Last time I new they were close. I could see eyes and wiggling, but they tend to hatch in the dark and their weren't very many of them so...

Geez... now I almost want to set up some rotifers tanks and raise baby nemos... I just don't know what I would do with them all.
    Trade them to a pet store for credit I guess?

It would be good practice for if I ever wanted to raise some fancy fry later.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    At least the dingos won't eat their babies.

Dad hobbied guppies for awhile. I remember he'd put the fat almost moms in a plastic box thing with tiny holes in it and when the babies came, they could get out so she didn't eat them. Does that sound right? Or is it one of those childhood memories that gets bizarrely confused?

Anyway, cool on the pending parenthood, fleeting though it may be.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Joanie, that's what I remember too.

Cori and Nameless, I love the hair pics! Nameless that pink is AWESOME! Super cute!

Fish: super envious of your tank. Baby Nemos!! Thanks for clearing up that they don't care for their fry. I wondered about their emotional state of having so many babies and then having them all murderously devoured by tank-mates. Glad to know they will be unaffected.

Flowers: beautiful!! I didn't know you could put bettas in a tank to fight off 'skitos... And I was under the impression that putting multiple bettas in a confined space was a bad thing. I assume you've had luck with this before? They don't kill each other? Good to know if I ever decide to have a water feature in my yard.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Joanie, that's what I remember too.

Cori and Nameless, I love the hair pics! Nameless that pink is AWESOME! Super cute!

Fish: super envious of your tank. Baby Nemos!! Thanks for clearing up that they don't care for their fry. I wondered about their emotional state of having so many babies and then having them all murderously devoured by tank-mates. Glad to know they will be unaffected.

Flowers: beautiful!! I didn't know you could put bettas in a tank to fight off 'skitos... And I was under the impression that putting multiple bettas in a confined space was a bad thing. I assume you've had luck with this before? They don't kill each other? Good to know if I ever decide to have a water feature in my yard.
    My outdoor lotus bowl is quite large... about 36?inches wide and has lots of vegetation... the lotus, the iris, some other water plants (parrots feather)... so lots of hidey places where they can separate themselves.
    Yes, they will fight and such in a confined space... even the females. Except that I've had good luck keeping sets of say 3 or 4 females in a space where they can see each other (like 10 gallons or so) IF you introduce them all young and smallish, and watch for bullies. They usually establish a pecking order with these numbers and it prevents any outright killing. I once kept a lovely trio of ladies in about a 3gallon glass vase for a couple of years. It takes some knowledge of behavior and willingness to segregate or remove a dominant female fish sometimes though. And not every female you purchase is a good candidate for dormitory life... for instance: I just went and purchased my trio this week. An opaque white male with blue streaking(blue cambodian marble), and a pair of cambodian females with sheen (cambodian color is a white fish with red fins, sometimes with a reflective opal sheen that makes them look green/blue). I had them in three separate half gallon vases in my kitchen as temporary holding until they go into the pond, all lined up touching rim to rim... and one female jumped into the adjoining females vase and killed her. She is a very aggressive female. If they had been released into my outdoor pot though... it's likely that all would be fine because the aggressive one would chase/nip and the other would have lots of spaces to hide. Then they would each stake out their own area and mostly stick to it.

I usually add a male and a couple or three females to my bowl set up and have lots of babies by the end of the season that I try to give away. But... some years I've had HUNDREDS. I had multiple lotus bowls that year.

In a small, say 5/10 gallon or so, lily pot water garden just a single male would be fine to keep the mosquitoes all eaten up IMO.
    Of course... there are other issues. You have to make sure the water in your pot doesn't flow over the top when it rains or they will jump out which means drilling holes. Dragon fly larva will catch and eat the smaller ones if you have juveniles... Birds will sometimes catch and eat the adult bettas, I've seen it.
    And when it gets cold at night, you gotta bring him in or he'll die.
    Here in FL they can stay out and be fine for most of the year... I'm late this year(and didn't have any last year as I had other things on my plate). The cold nights don't hit until November, and they stop in Feb... so. In more northern locations you have to consider if your nighttime water temps will support a betta fish... ? I'm not sure.
    Even if I kept 10 over the cold spell... that would be 10 in half gallon jars for 3 months tops, not 6months.

But I enjoy them.
    They are very trainable and come to the top of the water to be fed in the summer and are like little jewels.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

And this... I don't know why, but this.
    I'm feelin it.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Also, summer came early... and Flaming June is a reality on my head.

I like it!

The color is quite BRIGHT in direct light.
    It reminds me of Annie Lennox's ultra orange-red androgynous do circa the 80's...
    And I was SOOOOO in love with Annie!

Was??? LOL Who am I kidding... I never stopped having a crush on Annie Lennox.
    One of my first loves... I was all of 10! LOVE I tell you. *sigh*
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-22-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hi Cori!

Awesome color! And the Flaming June ref! (I want an art poster of that!)

I saw the Eurythmics in concert back in the late 80s - I would do it again.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Love it, definitely suits you. For a second, the mirror smudge made me think you had your septum pierced and I had a momentary punk-girl crush.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cori, I love that color! And it makes your eyes look really big and beautiful.

Nameless, I thought I'd posted this, but I didn't. You freakin' rock pink hair. Honestly, I'm not blowing smoke up your ass. I see a lot of people with bright colors in their hair, but that color should be named, "Only for NamelessWonder Because No one Else Will Look That Good in it."

Y'all are making me think about getting streaks again. But it takes so much upkeep after the first six weeks. *whine* My hair is below my shoulders and dark brown. Last time I opted for black with blue streaks/highlights. It was beautiful until the streaks started to fade because she'd had to strip them to no color to get the blue to show. I ended up just buying black drugstore dye and doing the whole head.

I most likely will live vicariously through you guyses.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 78 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast