Page 55 of 105 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 55

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Can you just not go?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    No, I have to go.
    I'm going to get my son and bring him home.

I had to arrange surgery for him because he accidentily cut off one of his fingers, he has been staying at my brothers house while healing from that, and now that it is getting better it's time for me to get him back to FL.

Today is a new day.
    No sucking whip out of cans.
    I'm slow cooking a pork roast with apples and onions.
    Roasting an acorn squash with it.
    Still a bit of the feeling I'll want to eat either Nothing or TOO Much.

This too shall pass.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Mmm that makes me think of both George Harrison and OK Go. Yeesh, cutting off a finger! Sounds like they were able to reattach?

I hope it goes well. Your food sounds tasty!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Seriously craving roasted onions.
    So I halved and sliced an onion and a half and laid it out on the pan with the pork loin roast.

So I'm going to fry up the apples separately for husband.
    He can have them with his sweet potato.
    I'll have savory garlic and butter acorn squash, and a pile of slow roasted onion.

He doesn't like onions.
    Weirdo.

Green things... Hmm... I don't know.
    I normally eat green things.
    I have brussels sprouts, but I don't know if I feel like eating them.

I also have to cook a big batch of bacon ends and pieces for husband.
    Some of that is going to end up in my mouth.
    I almost never eat it because of the salt.
    But when I have to cook it... a few pieces ALWAYS sneak in.

Re: The Finger- Yes they reattached sons finger in an ER visit... then he had to have a second more complicated surgery to reattach tendons and nerves. We're hoping he'll regain maybe 75% use. It was attached and had blood flow, but was not functional at all.

He is coming home to go back to school. He discovered the hardships of being a kid without an education (besides a HS diploma) and no work exp in the world, and he wants a "do over".
    So, we are rehabbing the hand. Putting him back under our roof. Getting him to work and into school... all of that stuff. Trying to be good supportive parents.
    Last edited by cori93437; 12-19-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

I have a tried and true onion tart recipe that could easily be done crustless, but I'm wondering if wilting the onions might be an issue sans salt. Might be worth a try. Here's a quick adaptation, untested. You're OK with wine, I'm hoping?

Slice 3# of white or yellow onions thinly, and cook in a large pan over medium-high heat with a generous dusting of black pepper, coating with 2T butter and 2T olive oil (more if needed to coat all). Normally, salt would be added for flavor and to sweat the onions, but the heat alone should draw out a good bit of liquid. The idea is to keep cooking off the liquid and then adding liquid until you have repeatedly broken the spirit of the onions and cooked them down to about 1" - 1 1/2" depth. But you don't necessarily want them to caramelize. A little browning is fine, but keep adding just enough wine to avert caramelization, and cook without a lid to allow liquids to steam off.

Once cooked down to a sweet, peppery mass (45 min?), allow to cool. You can prepare the custard simultaneous to the stirring of the onions. Use whatever ratio you like for the custard, but I would usually have 5-6 eggs and a healthy splop of heavy cream, a shake of nutmeg, a pinch of cayenne if you wish, and a grating of Parm if the salt does not bother you (really can be omitted or a lower-salt cheese used just for a little flavor). Combine with onions and bake ~25 minutes at 350F or until set.

The sweetness from the wine and onions combined with the pepper punch is exquisite. It's sort of like French onion soup quiche.

Oh, and I freakin' love the hell out of onions, and shallots, and leeks, and garlic. Set any combination of alliums to heat in olive oil and dinner makes itself, pulling inspiration from the air.

I'll be keeping that in my hat for my return home...

With toe surgery happening tomorrow, I won't be on my feet cooking!

And wine. YES!
    I may not drink much/often... but I'll never give up cooking with wine(and other alcohols).
    What should we do, cook with water?! *gasp*
    It's just not happening.

Lovely wide Parm shavings happen too... I forgive their salt. They are worth it, and bring MORE to the party.
    I do limit them to special occasions though.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

This recipe is big enough to absorb a lot of that salt.

Apropos of nothing, allow me to sidetrack the convo to relate what I will be bringing to the organization's holiday luncheon. There are about 75 participants, many are bringing the typical holiday sweets, but they needed some good main dishes, so I thought I'd dig up James Beard's chili recipe, sans beans (as James meant it to be). It's almost like a mole sauce, having some dark chocolate in the mix and (James is funky!) sesame seeds. I don't know why the sesame seeds really work in this chili, but who am I to argue with James?

So I'm going to have a description of the chili, since it ain't your typical ground beef and kidney beans swimming in a watery tomato broth. Remember that the following is accompanied by a picture of the Ron Swanson character from Parks and Rec...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DibpE4OMzZ...anson-meat.jpg

"This is chili. Texas-style chili. That means it is made with meat. Beef and pork to be specific. There are other things in the chili, but don’t ask me what they are. I don’t know.

"There are spices in this chili, but nothing that will make you forget the most important thing, which is meat.

"Some people enjoy a dollop of sour cream on their chili. I am one of those people. If you are looking for low-fat sour cream, then perhaps you do not understand the concept of the Texas-style chili.

"This chili is very rich, so a little bit is very satisfying. However, you may wish to have seconds. In fact, I’ve even been known to go back for thirds, please and thank you."

Owly is offline Senior Member
    FW, my partner is going to love that. I think I'll have to get the ingredients and try it out this weekend. I sooooo miss the flavours of onion soup. I haven't made it at home, and the restaurant version is never celiac friendly. This sounds like the perfect substitute.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Oh, and I freakin' love the hell out of onions, and shallots, and leeks, and garlic. Set any combination of alliums to heat in olive oil and dinner makes itself, pulling inspiration from the air.
    That is usually when the man swoops into the kitchen, nibbles on my neck, and tells me how much he loves me.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 55 of 105 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast