Page 25 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 25

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hmm... this falls under the heading of 'learn something new every day'.
    An Iraqi, female fronted, Black Metal band...
    When Black Metal's Anti-Religious Message Gets Turned on Islam - Kim Kelly - The Atlantic
    It seriously never occurred to me that this was a possibility.
    I hate it when I see something and realize that I've had my head up my own ass because of my own "no way" initial reaction to it.
    But on reflection... OF COURSE!
    There is a lot of cultural 'hate' towards women in the areas of the world that have a majority practice of Islam.
    Some people would disagree with that.
    That's why 'hate' is inside those little marks.
    What I call hate, the Muslim man might call protection of cultural values.
    You know... like this.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-clothes.html
    That's not part of this discussion.
    That women feel the oppressive and often violent nature of this religious arrangement is inarguable, and well documented.
    And with technology what it is, there would be exposure in some cases to outlets for frustration as Black Metal.
    Heck... it could have been a part of an innocuous sounding 'music' class that was attended at a foreign university.
    It was brought back and started as an an underground rebellion type movement...
    And thus... OF COURSE!

I'm not exactly a fan of Black Metal, but...
    I introduce you to Anahita, and Janaza.

Rock on. You have my respect.
    May the Shia never find/identify you.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-12-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

The story I posted earlier reminded me that I needed to revisit a speech/presentation I saw a while back by African novelist Chimamanda Adichie.
    It is called The Single Story, and I watch it again every once in a while to remind myself that the world, and the people in it, is always greater that our own limited perspective of it.
    The message seems a bit simple in some ways, but when I have a reaction like I had to the story earlier I'm reminded that most of the information we get about far off places is very filtered. I had no frame of reference for an underground Back Metal movement in which a woman might participate in a place such as Iraq. But the truth is, I shouldn't need that frame of reference specifically. Historically, wherever there have been fundamentalist religious practices, there have also been underground resistance movements.
    And I need to sink that into my thick and lazy skull.
    And keep it there.

It's worth a gander IMO.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Today... I was accepted for a consult, and appointment was scheduled, by the neurosurgeon!
    (More later.)
    Or not... having a cruddy tired day.

Last edited by cori93437; 07-19-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

So... HUGE mistake was made this week.
    (Yeah, I'm skipping over the whole I got an appointment thing... I've been feeling like crap lately and not wanting to write anything that causes me to think too much. Appointment with NS is soon, I have less anxiety about getting the appointment of course, but it's just been replaced by anxiety over the initial consult and potential procedures.)

So... mistake.
    BIG, big, big mistake.
    Husband decided that he wanted to go to a live Bellatore MMA fight in Tampa this Friday.
    So he tld me to buy the tickets... because that's how he always does it, and I'm home, and he can't buy them from his work PC.
    And he tells me to have them kept at willcall for pick-up.
    THEN, a day or two later, he tells me that he doesn't think I should go to the fight...
    Fine, whatever... he can take a buddy.
    Except that he had me buy and pay for the tix...
    Which means I HAVE to be the one to pick them up with original purchasing credit card and valid ID.
    Bellator Fighting Championships
    Yep... me and my stupid, suckass, head are going to a live MMA fight.
    I'll survive I'm sure... whether I'm able to actually function for a few days is a different story.
    Last Friday when I went out hubs and I had a quiet dinner then walked around BestBuy a little and I got seriously wonky, and got right to the edge of going into that "hole" where I drool and look like I've stroked out or something. I managed to get to the car at just "the world is completely surreal and my grasp of reality is tenuous". I chilled out, closed my eyes for a while, and came back without getting too far gone.
    A live MMA fight isn't likely to be as easy...
    But hey! It's a welterweight tournament final, welterweight feature fight, and two light heavyweight semifinals on the main card... so if I can manage to remain mostly conscious it should be enjoyable!
    Husband is alternately threatening to either leave me in the car or just pretend not to know me when the EMTs come to drag me off so he can finish watching the fights... Though he says he'll come find me later. *sigh*

My fingers are crossed... you could cross yours for me too if you think about it tomorrow evening.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    *fingers crossed*

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Toes too, just in case.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My veins are crossed! (Used that lame one on the younger brother back when I was a kid... he couldn't counter it, ha!)

I'm ALIVE!
    By the power of sweet, sweet, narcotics... I'm aliiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvve.

Not so sure what's going to happen when they wear off...
    But I have the sneaky feeling that there will be the sensation of hitting a brick wall involved.
    I'm pretty sure it's already started to apply itself with some nice warm up thunks to the head...
    But ... umm... I'm kinda pretty high, and it's hard to care.
    Ohh... if it could manage to feel exactly like drinking a pan galactic gargle blaster that would be TOPS!

And on the bright side I only had to close my eyes and take drooling "time outs" like 2-3 times or something...
    OMG, Sofa KING loud! And bright moving lights everywhere and ahhhhhh.
    Narcotics are good friends sometimes.

Oh... and I ate all those muthafuking mangoes... and I'm gonna lasso that little Debauchery around the throat next time I see her.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    well here's to fleeting moments of fun! i hope it lasts a while for you.

Narcotics LIE. Lie, Lie, Lie, Lie, LIE!
    Seriously.
    Lie la lie! Lie la lie lie lie la lie.

I slept all day and, evidently, while I was sleeping I took every hit those MMA guys took in the ring last night.
    More Lies are a strong possibility.

Also Debauchery followed my husband to the store...
    And made him bring home cherries!
    But since they are the only food I'll actually consume today... I'm letting it slide.

Sleep is going to happen again soon most likely.
    After I'm done heating my head/neck via heating pad... then chilling it out it with Biofreeze and ice packs.

Saorise- I noticed that your new endeavor is off to a good start on Fb. Congratz!
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 25 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast