Page 19 of 105 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Feet First: In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past page 19

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I like "how we met" stories. Particularly good ones
    A friend and I were riding around drinking beer and stopped by the grocery where a friend of mine was getting shopping carts in. I saw my future wife getting carts in as well, I asked my friend her name, he told me and I said "you can tell her she's on my to-do list". Couple months later I get laid off and go to work at the grocery store (actually back to the grocery store, I had worked there previously) just in time too, as she broke up with her boyfriend within a month of me starting to work there.
    Check mark on the to-do list.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Geek and I met twice, both times in engineering classes taught by inept morons.
    The first time I was attached to someone else, so we just hung out during and after class (best thing alphabetical seating has ever done for me.) Our first conversation started 5 minuted in on the first day when I groan and and said "I hate Windows, but I'm glad it's not Mac." It went from there. because of the way our classes broke down, we both had to kill half an hour after graphics let out. I ate more breakfast that semester than I had since elementary school, because of Geek.
    The second time was during a "Sadistics" (stats) class. I sat next to him because he was the only person I recognized even remotely. We got to talking again, most of it involved just how much we just wanted out of school and how [university] was ass raping us for football money. Class started and ended. We hung out some more after class. In the next month, we spent the majority of the time we were not sleeping or in class with each other. One night I ended up getting violently ill and he insisted on coming over to make a soup I could keep down. I didn't have the energy or the desire to fight him, and he made soup. Then we sat and watched movies (no, seriously, he somehow fixed my stomach with half a bowl of soup. I wish I could claim some low intentions, but I was sick and then I wasn't.) We ended up making out while Robin Williams talked about "BING, chickens done." Around midnight, and neither of us remember if it was before or after midnight, we come up for air and water. Before I could even run it through my mental filters, I hear myself say "I guess we're dating now, huh?" and Geek say "Looks like it. Now, where were we?" We joke that we slept together our first night (I refused to let him drive home exhausted and he refused to leave me until he knew I was well, and for some reason, him sleeping on the couch never crossed our minds.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

It had been a bad decade. I refer to my 20s as the Black Years partly because that was all I wore, partly because I'd had a bad fucking sneer of an attitude towards the world, and partly because I'd surrendered years of my life to an emotional black hole, with W. at the center of it all. After several abortive attempts to pull free of the black hole's gravitational pull, I spun off into a new direction. Quit smoking, worked out, stopped wearing all damned black, got a new girlfriend. At the time my nickname was Elvis, and her actual given name was Priscilla. That was cute, but it didn't work out for us either. I was 30 years old and wondering what the fuck I was doing besides pissing away time.

Mrs. FW had just broken free from her own dating miasma, some douchebag lawyer named George. Her luck in dating had been no better than my own, but her sister worked at a law firm that the company I worked for in that job on the carousel of crap jobs dealt with almost daily. Sis was cute, but she was married. Still, she thought I was nice enough to invite to a bigassed St. Patty's day party at the local Knights of Columbus attended by literally everyone in her family tree and their friends and their friends' friends. Being a shy and retiring soul, my first instinct was to politely beg off, but having had the aforementioned disastrous decade and needing something of a change of pace, I agreed.

So I went to the KoC and met, in short order, my future BiL, future FiL, various uncles, cousins, classmates, family friends, and... the once and future Mrs. FW. Mrs. FW, let's say D., kept coming over to check me out, but I was just being chill at the bar with Sis and future FiL. Different vibe from the fallback plan of going home and watching X-Files. As the night went on D. and I found ourselves paired up and talking politely and when the night began to get late D. asked her sister to take her car home for her and we headed to my posh luxury vehicle, a Buick Skychicken that soon captured her fancy with its collection of glow in the dark bugs glued across the dashboard, and Fell on Black Days by Soundgarden cued up on cassette, a song D. herself was very much into. Black Days is therefore "our song," rather sweetly.

As I drove home I was in full babble mode, with injudicious and pompous expositions of love and not looking for love and relationships and who knows what else. Mrs. FW recalls fondly how I swept her off her feet, but not all the bombastic relationship editorializing. The evening ended later, but it was all very sweet and clumsy. Sister says she was not trying to hook us up, but when she saw us together a light went on over her head, and she thought, Hmmmmmm.... If that was our first date, then it was painless, none of the expectations of dating, got all the inlaw introductions out of the way, and with all the awkward shit out of the way all the dates to follow were smooth sailing.

We'd both been used to roller coaster relationships, unneccessary drama, and suddenly we both found ourselves without that. Neither of us back then were the kind to jump into something impulsively, like moving in with someone and shacking up, but 3 months later we were shacked up. We got along well right from the start and ever since; she's known me for 17 years and we'll be married 14 this October, and for some reason she still thinks I'm the lid to her pot. We spend an ungodly amount of time laughing, so much so that I worry we must both be daft, and we still don't get tired of being with the other. On days when I'm hen-free and doing manly tasks, I miss the little coot and look forward to regaling her with intrepid tales of bravery. I started cooking well to impress her, going from bachelor staples (boxed mac and cheese, frozen pizzas) to gradually expanding my skills, and eventually that cooking became part and parcel of our revitalizing our health and lifestyle, for the PB tie-in. For all our differences -- the punk king and disco queen, the wonkish bookworm and amiable socialite, etc. -- there's something remarkably similar at core, and we skipped the stage of finishing each other's sentences and moved directly to ESP. I can't tell you how many times I bring up something she was just about to say, and vice versa.

After the bad decade, everything got better. And stayed that way.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If Boyfriend and I get married, I'll regale you all with the tale of how we re-met. He hates it because it is rather embarrassing for him, and rather complicated (both coming out of relationships, partially as a result of meeting). Someday, we might have to make up a new story for the masses.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    awww cori. <3

after reading your story and FW's, i guess i could say i've been pretty lucky for having no dating experience. hubby and i were young in stressful households, and within a few months of dating we decided that we were going to eventually get married. i think he was the stoic man i was used to, but he was also really touchy-feely with me (which i wasn't used to at all, whether it was family hugging-type stuff or sexual). honestly, other than kissing a kid on a dare in 7th grade, and one peck on a guy's cheek when i was 15, i had no experience with sex or dating. he was intelligent and had a broader perspective on life, whereas i came from a family that was not academic at all and i always felt the odd person out at home. so we really clicked, and whether you want to call it love or teenage infatuation, we got hitched a little over a year later. you guys know most of the rest of the story, we've had a lot of ups and downs. we've both had to deal with the other person growing up, maybe i was going at a faster pace because I had a closer connection with the needs of our kids, and was so used to isolating other people from "my problems" and needs. anyway, he's coming back home in a few weeks (date keeps getting pushed back; he's starting a business out there).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If Boyfriend and I get married, I'll regale you all with the tale of how we re-met. He hates it because it is rather embarrassing for him, and rather complicated (both coming out of relationships, partially as a result of meeting). Someday, we might have to make up a new story for the masses.
    why don't you tell us anyway? maybe you're not married, but that doesn't mean your story is insignificant.

the story of how my husband and i met is sort of embarrassing for him too, he likes to pretend it didn't happen that way. yes, i married a socially awkward geek. (in his defense, he has figured things out)

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Yay for stories! *claps hands happily*
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I posted the pic...

Yay for all the stories!
    I like them.
    Finny... husband and I have the ESP too, we say the same thing at the same time so often.
    Friendship romantic relationships is so often undervalued... and it's a shame.
    So is laughter.
    I think that if you can laugh together, you can make it through anything.

Husband and I were friends for several months, dated living separately for over a year, then got married.
    It's still the running joke that he had to pester me into even dating him.
    And his side of that joke is that it worked... because he got what he was after on the first date!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap, Cori- you're gorgeous. Like the dress, too
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

your hair is so gorgeous, and the look on his face tells me that he was thinking of all the dirty things he was planning to do with you.

Page 19 of 105 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast