Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kombucha page

Daemonized is online now Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I have never tried kombucha and I'm just wondering who else has and what the general consensus is around here about it.

(It's fermented yeast tea for those that don't know what it is)

Thanks

Daemonized

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

Personally, I'm a big fan of it. Just make sure, if you're considering making it yourself, to give the SCOBY plenty of time to eat up all of the sugars, otherwise you'll be drinking a good amount of carbs.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

I love it. Also good for the intestinal flora. In the late stages it yields a good vinegar.

Don't waste money buying it in bottles in a store. Get a start and make your own.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

Anybody have any good links to starters and a how-to guide for kombucha?

I do get the store stuff, but it's pricey. I'd like to try to make my own.

Also, I don't tend to like it straight... i get the kind mixed with something else. Any ideas on that?

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Daemonized is online now Senior Member

What do y'all think of the laundry list of benefits that it's meant to have? I'm almost scared to try it as addictive as they say it is.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Kombucha-Tea

@Minxxa - You're drinking G.T. Dave's I'm assuming? If so, to duplicate his flavors simple juice a very small amount of your favorite fruits (or ginger, or green veggies, etc.) and mix it in after you finish the brewing process. If you don't have a juicer, use a blender with a little of the kombucha added for liquid. If you don't have either, buy a bottle of 100% juice (make sure it doesn't have anything other than the juice of the fruit you want in it, no apple or pear juice fillers) and put a splash in each cup. Best of luck to you!

gini is offline Senior Member

I like it occasionally, though recently the vinegary taste has not been as pleasant as previously.

@Daemonized - I drink it for the anti-oxidants from the tea and the probiotic flora from the fermentation. I'm sure those could be helpful in many ways, but don't treat it like a cure-all snake oil that some have made it out to be.

It's only as addictive as any other caffeinated drink. That being said, don't down multiple glasses a day or rely on it first thing in the mornings and you'll be fine.

born2Bprimal Guest

I LOVE kombucha! I also like sauerkraut. I was making kombucha last summer and it was super easy (had to stop over the winter though as I keep my cave too cold).

I'm not sure about the benefits, but it did help me kick my diet coke habit.

I like these instructions

http://smallnotebook.org/2009/07/27/how-to-make-kombucha-tea/

If you don't have a SCOBY, make sure to scroll down to the "How to Grow a SCOBY" section

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I actually tried the srore bought stuff for the first time last week and I fell in love.

I ordered a SCOBY from Marilyn, the Kefir Lady. I've ordered some kefir grains from her before and she has the best stuff. Her product also comes with a thick brochure with instructions and alternative uses.

Google her up if anyone is looking to buy one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast