Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kombucha page 2

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Has anyone tried making it with Green Tea?

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

Yup, I make mine with green or white tea and both turn out more to my liking than when I did it with black.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

That's great! You get the benefits of both worlds that way.

I can't wait for my SCOBY to arrive.

How long does it usually take you to make a gallon batch?

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Time to make a batch -- depends partly on the temperature in the room. It does its thing faster in the mid-70's than the low-60's. Anywhere from ten days to three weeks, depending on temperature and how far along you like it. At first it doesn't have much tang and is sweeter, kind of too bland, then it gets fizz in it, is a little more acid, and I like it that way. Then it gradually turns to vinegar, which isn't too bad if used in a dressing or sipped very slowly, just a little bit of it.

If you're just beginning, it may take awhile to get the start up to size. The mat fills the top of whatever container it's put into. You want a mat about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick before starting the next batch. The thicker the mat, the faster the next batch goes, of course.

One doesn't guzzle this stuff -- a wineglass full is about right, once or twice a day. The trouble with bottling it is that people started thinking they should drink as much as if it were soda or iced tea.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

P.S. If you want a whole lot, or want it always at just the right "done-ness", then start multiple batches and renew them in rotation. I keep three going. When you renew it with fresh tea, pour the old off into a jar and stick it in the fridge, and drink from that till the new is ready.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

FF, you rock, thanks!! This may be my new weekend project.

yeah, I drink the GT Dave's stuff. I prefer the cranberry style... so probably will experiment with adding to REAL cranberry juice and see what happens.

I like the probiotic effect-- I've tried to do fermented veggies and my experiment was unsuccessful! I may try again in the future, but I KNOW I like kombucha, so it's not like I'm making myself drink something I don't like JUST for the taste.

And yeah, I usually drink half the bottle, which is about a wine glass serving at a time. I don't want to overdo it. Since giving up the dreaded evil diet soda, it's kind of my treat drink.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12