Thread: stretching the supplements page

fragileknees is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I went out and purchased a really good mutli-V and fish oil. Due to sticker shock, I am considering alternating the two. Day 1 take the multi, Day 2 take the fish oil, then repeat. Grok certainly didn't get every nutrient every day, so this strikes me as a way to buy some insurance without breaking the bank. Thoughts?

Brit is offline Junior Member

I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents...

I take fish oil if I have a meal with very little to no Omega-3's and probably some Omega-6's, to keep the ratio in check. If you eat a lot of fish, then you probably don't even need to take the fish oil.

As for the MVI, even with using "fitday" and eating good meals I'm still low on some things. So I take my MVI daily.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

I wonder about this too... how can you IF properly if you still take your vitamins in the morning?

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

@darienx19 - Just take your vitamins with your meal whenever you break your fast. Your body shouldn't be taking in nutrients during a fast. All nutrients used to come from food, so it's just natural to take them with a meal. Also, all of the fat soluble vitamins will just pass right through you if you take them during a fast. You need some fats with them(obviously!). ;-)

Your body will be fine for a 24h (or more) fast without your MV.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

@Flash: Thanks! I never really thought to think of it that way. I normally would just skip the vitamins anyway during an IF, but wondered if I should bother taking them. I do sometimes down the vitamins with a glass of juice and run out the door... going to stop doing that and bring them with me for when I eat lunch from now on.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I take 1 fish oil a day but if I go out to eat or eat CAFO meat or something I'll take 2. If I eat salmon I might not take it at all.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

avocado is offline Senior Member

"Grok certainly didn't get every nutrient every day, so this strikes me as a way to buy some insurance without breaking the bank."

I've had that on my mind for some time. I think it was true not only on a day to day basis, but also, obviously seasonally. Maybe there's something actually healthful about, say, getting cruciferous veggies in the cold season and not getting any cruciferous veggies in the summer. Maybe there's something healthful about getting food A, B or C for several days in a row (like you would hunting/gathering) and then getting something else.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'd put it like this: "some" is better than none, but "ideal" is better than "some." It's a cost-benefit analysis, so the answer will be different for each of us.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid