Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Asian Rice Diets Do Not Cause Degenerative Diseases? page

westes is offline Senior Member

Why Asian Rice Diets Do Not Cause Degenerative Diseases?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One of the nutritional assumptions of most Paleo promoters appears to be that grains that came out of the agricultural revolution promote large carbohydrate overload. Wheat, corn, rice, oats, etc all seem to become glucose very rapidly in the gut. This stimulates large insulin responses. The sugar gets converted to the worst kind of VLDL fat. Heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, and maybe cancer all seem to correlate with these kinds of diets.

My question is why do Asian cultures that eat primarily rice based grain diets not seem to suffer from degenerative Western diseases? Assuming the general nutritional theory behind Paleo is correct, then is maybe rice somehow different than other grains? Are there other factors that can explain away why Japanese who eat rice and fish largely avoid heart disease?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    My question is why do Asian cultures that eat primarily rice based grain diets not seem to suffer from degenerative Western diseases?
    That's begging the question.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    That's begging the question.
    I don't understand your point.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that this really comes down to the health differences between eating wheat vs eating rice.

Wheat is the worst cereal by a significant margin because of the other bad things it has going on, not purely because it is a carbohydrate. Wheatbelly is a blog devoted to the evils of just wheat, and I recommend you preuse it. The main problem is gluten (specifically, the gliadin) that does all sorts of bad things. It stimulates appetite, punches holes in your intestines and has a generally inflammatory effect that your body does not enjoy.

Rice on the other hand is just carbohydrates. Which are fine, as long as you don't eat them to excess (i.e. in balance with the meat and veggies, not as the major part of your meal).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Gee. I don't know.

They are usually glycogen depleted before they eat it? And all the junk they aren't eating. Remember that rice is one of the better grains. Way better than GMO Round-Up ready hybrid dwarf wheat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    One of the nutritional assumptions of most Paleo promoters appears to be that grains that came out of the agricultural revolution promote large carbohydrate overload. Wheat, corn, rice, oats, etc all seem to become glucose very rapidly in the gut. This stimulates large insulin responses. The sugar gets converted to the worst kind of VLDL fat. Heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, and maybe cancer all seem to correlate with these kinds of diets.

My question is why do Asian cultures that eat primarily rice based grain diets not seem to suffer from degenerative Western diseases? Assuming the general nutritional theory behind Paleo is correct, then is maybe rice somehow different than other grains? Are there other factors that can explain away why Japanese who eat rice and fish largely avoid heart disease?
    Many(most?) people on here who are not VLC eat some amount of white rice. While it is technically a grain, it doesn't really have the toxins most grains do.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I am eating a little pre-gym white rice as I type this. Mmmmm...starch.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I think that this really comes down to the health differences between eating wheat vs eating rice.

Wheat is the worst cereal by a significant margin because of the other bad things it has going on, not purely because it is a carbohydrate. Wheatbelly is a blog devoted to the evils of just wheat, and I recommend you preuse it. The main problem is gluten (specifically, the gliadin) that does all sorts of bad things. It stimulates appetite, punches holes in your intestines and has a generally inflammatory effect that your body does not enjoy.

Rice on the other hand is just carbohydrates. Which are fine, as long as you don't eat them to excess (i.e. in balance with the meat and veggies, not as the major part of your meal).
    MagicMerl, I accept that wheat is inflammatory and has autoimmune issues. But I also thought that a major part of Paleo was a low carbohydrate diet, because of the damage caused by high glucose and insulin. The Asian result seems to contradict that.

Does anyone have statistics on what percentage of calories comes from carbohydrates (of all kinds) in a traditional Asian diet that avoids Western processed foods?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Oh hey, can we have another carb war thread? Because those are awesome. </snarkiness>
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    MagicMerl, I accept that wheat is inflammatory and has autoimmune issues. But I also thought that a major part of Paleo was a low carbohydrate diet, because of the damage caused by high glucose and insulin. The Asian result seems to contradict that.

Does anyone have statistics on what percentage of calories comes from carbohydrates (of all kinds) in a traditional Asian diet that avoids Western processed foods?
    It was. I think most primal/paleo/whatevers, especially the young and healthy, are evolving towards macronutrient neutrality.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast