Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why Asian Rice Diets Do Not Cause Degenerative Diseases? page 4

apple is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    They don't eat the giant pile of rice we get from Asian restaurants, that's why. They eat a small amount of rice with their typically small meals. I understand many Japanese people eat sushi rolls for lunch, not sushi rolls for an appetizer to a giant lunch with rice stir-fry (like we do at Japanese steakhouses).

Moreover, white rice really is more of a whole grain food, not nearly as processed as grain flours that make up a lot of the grain consumption of American and Western European diets. If you think about digestion in a macro way: we are digesting our food to break it down and absorb nutrients. Flour is already ground so finely that our bodies don't have to break it down as much (even "whole grain flour"), and it has a greater surface area compared to a real whole grain. This means it is broken down into glucose and absorbed much faster than white rice. So Asians that eat their 1/3-1/2 cup white rice with a meal STILL get a slower glucose rise than an American eating whole grain toast every morning.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    If I may add an observation - The image of people all over Asia riding their bikes for transportaton has gone through a huge change. I've been going to China on a regular basis (4-6x/year) since 2001. On my first trip to Beijing, there were bikes EVERYWHERE, more than cars; also, many men were still wearing the "Chairman Mao Pajamas." Now, there are very few bikes, car traffic is horrendous and no one wears those PJs anymore.

Just sayin'....

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I just bought The China Study so I can answer questions like this. I didn't realize there was a rebuttal book as well, more reading! My boss (a fitness instructor) has bought into The China Study, and has basically turned vegetarian. She does not quite know the extent of my eating habits. I don't want to go there until I read the book and can defend to the death! Although, she has a better memory for facts than I do so I may get creamed

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    They don't eat the giant pile of rice we get from Asian restaurants, that's why. They eat a small amount of rice with their typically small meals. I understand many Japanese people eat sushi rolls for lunch, not sushi rolls for an appetizer to a giant lunch with rice stir-fry (like we do at Japanese steakhouses).
    That's not my experience. Chinese stir fry meals (that they cook for themselves) tend to be a big portion of rice, a medium portion of veggies and a small portion of meat. In about a 5-3-1 ratio. Again, that's only in my experience. I'm sure different cultures do things differently and asia is so huge that almost any generalisation is untrue.

Moreover, white rice really is more of a whole grain food, not nearly as processed as grain flours that make up a lot of the grain consumption of American and Western European diets. If you think about digestion in a macro way: we are digesting our food to break it down and absorb nutrients. Flour is already ground so finely that our bodies don't have to break it down as much (even "whole grain flour"), and it has a greater surface area compared to a real whole grain. This means it is broken down into glucose and absorbed much faster than white rice. So Asians that eat their 1/3-1/2 cup white rice with a meal STILL get a slower glucose rise than an American eating whole grain toast every morning.
    This seems like a way of rationalising complex carbs into your diet. I'm not a carb hater, but I don't think that that's good reasoning. All the glucose chains get broken down to glucose. The only 'solution' is to not consume excessive glucose.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I've been to a few traditional Asian places, when I used to live in L.A. The common denominators were rice being served last; and considerably small in portion size.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I found in Korea that the rice portions were also quite small, usually about 1/2 cup (except maybe in bibimbap, but even then, less than you'd be served here). But from my experience, most of the world also has much smaller serving sizes in general than you'd get in a restaurant in North America, particularly in the US (although we are catching up here).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    One thing I noticed when living in Asia is also that their desserts are very bland and lacking in sweetness for most part. So people aren't inhaling 200 grams of sugar when they have some sweets with dinner.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    If people can get access to truly traditional Asian cuisine, I'm sure they'll be well-served.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    They don't eat the giant pile of rice we get from Asian restaurants, that's why.
    I'm late to the thread, but that's correct.

Example: Korean daily proportions 300g rice, 300g vegetables, 230g animal foods.
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/1/44.full.pdf

I've gone off on people who misrepresent the diets of Asia before but don't feel in the mood right now.

A few quick points. Don't become fixated on rice, rice portions are small and have decreased over the years. Sugar/HFCS consumption is low in NE Asia, KR in particular does not like a sweet taste (that's a huge clue to how they hold the lowest obesity rate in the developed world). Dairy isn't big in NE Asia either, Koreans especially hate cheese. Bread is disliked as well. "Vegetable" oil consumption is low. Water or tea is the drink of choice. Portions are normal. Asians eat a good amount of fatty meat, they like the fat/skin. Basically everything that makes Americans sick isn't done in Asia. Easy.

Grains are necessary post-Neolothic to support the population. That doesn't mean they are great. But it also doesn't mean you need to have obesity, diabetes, heart attack, cancer on a Neolithic diet.
    Last edited by KimchiNinja; 11-24-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast