Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Dulcimina) page 5

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh, sorry you sick. Best wishes.

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, Annie. My stomach is better now, by going back to a strict primal diet, but my psoriasis flared back up and never got any better. I'm back at my journal to start logging my eating and my progress towards psoriasis-free and gastroparesis-free. The awesome thing is that I did it once, so I know I can do it again.

OK. Let's go. I've been using several ways to track my progress in diet and exercise - this site, of course, Fitday, CalorieCount plus a spiral bound notebook from Barnes and Noble. I've been using Fitday for about four years, so it's got a good historical record. However, some of the foods I eat aren't on their lists, and I'm not sure you can add recipes, so I end up having to add each individual ingredient every day. I used CalorieCount for one week this month while I was collecting data for the American Gut project. I hated that it gave everything you ate a grade, and of course, things like a whole egg had a lower grade than egg whites.

So for record keeping, I will use fitday for weight because I have a nice graph going back to 2009, my notebook for everything, as I can't always record things right away, and then this journal for meals and workouts.

This week's menu:

Porridge - a couple pounds of cauliflower, riced; a can of pumpkin puree, a can of coconut milk, a handful of raisins, three eggs (all I had at the time), spices and stevia.

Coconut curried fish with string beans

Meatballs: used the recipe from Roost, with a pound each of ground beef and pork, plus 4oz liver. Served with spaghetti squash

deli meat and cheese: Thought I'd try liverwurst as an alternative source of liver. That's for lunch today so we'll see if I ever repeat that experiment.

Salad: mixture of shredded fennel bulb, swiss chard (from my balcony!), asparagus, mango, papaya and lemon juice

MOAR vegetables - leftover asparagus, broccoli: I may chop and roast these in some delicious fat.

papaya lassi: I have extra papaya, so I bought some yogurt and milk and will blend this up with a little cardamom and stevia on my workout day.

Chicken soup: Used up some bone broth and chicken breasts that I had in the freezer.

Stir fry: I've got some cabbage, and also some beef in the freezer. If I run out of food, I can cobble something together.

Mark's Philly Cheeseburger: I've got all the ingredients for this including the ingredients for the cheese sauce. I do want to give up dairy to see if that helps my skin, but I will have to finish this stuff off first.

Someone had mentioned in the comments for that recipe, that shredded cheese now contains starches. I noticed this too. The shredded cheddar had cellulose to prevent caking, and the parmesan (for the meatballs) had either potato and corn starch, or cellulose. Sure, I could buy a block of cheese, but you know what, this was my one little luxury! This weekend I have zested lemons and oranges, grated ginger and nutmeg; shredded zucchini; chopped tons of onions, garlic, parsley, cilantro, fennel, chard, chicken etc. Surely, I could take one little shortcut safely. Sigh.

Supplements: Mg2+, VitD and fish oil
    Rx: This is the first day of splitting Armour in two and taking with meals. This is a new 90 day supply
    Workout: walk to the library, about 20 mins one way.

Forgot to add - I have zucchini for the soup as well as some of the broccoli and asparagus.

I also have some smoked salmon, cucumbers, nori and guacamole (the kind that comes in a little single serving packet). Everything will keep until next week except for the cucumbers, so I may crunch on those as a snack.

I'm very happy that my stomach has calmed down so that I can get back to eating tons of vegetables.

Tuesday April 30
    Actual menu:

B: Cauliflower-pumpkin-coconut porridge
    coke zero (fail!)

L: ~3oz lunch meat (liverwurst, corned beef and beef pastrami - just enough to try them out)
    ~2 oz havarti
    fennel-asparagus salad
    coconut water

D: 3 meatballs and spaghetti squash
    3 sugar free gum (I was full but still wanted to have dessert; it's not ideal, but it kept me distracted enough that I didn't eat anything else for the rest of the night)

Exercise: 50 min walk in the rain

Supplements/meds
    Mg2+, fish oil, Vit D
    Armour tab in 2 - 1/2 with breakfast, 1/2 with dinner

Was very sleepy by 10 but didn't go to bed until midnight
    Woke up this morning with pins and needles in my hand. I normally get this at the end of a 3 month batch of Armour. I assume the Armour is losing its potency. In this case, I wonder if it's the change in how I take the Armour, i.e., twice a day with meals vs. 1x per day without. So this morning (Wednesday), I caved and took half on an empty stomach.

Plan for today:
    B: mango lassi, 2HB eggs (done)
    L: meatballs and spaghetti squash; fennel slaw
    ?: rest of papaya lassi after workout
    D: curried fish with string beans
    Exercise: NROLFW stage 2A3
    Supplements/meds: as described.
    I will update this tomorrow if anything changes from the plan

Thursday;
    B: cauli porridge, kombucha
    L: meatballs and squash; coke zero
    D: more porridge, 2HB eggs, 3 SF gum

Exercise: walked 10 mins at lunch and then walked home after work, ~3 miles
    Meds: 1/2 armour at 7:30 am, fasting; 1/2 armour with lunch. Supplements - yes
    Weight: 64kg. Yup, I'm using metric now. Much less crazymaking.
    sleep: Bed at midnight, up at 6am today, Friday. My alarm goes off at 7, so I went back to bed until then

Observations: Had heartburn and a little gastro after lunch. I decided not to test my stomach for dinner, and so had the porridge again. Yay for prechewed and predigested food !

I went to a nice seminar presentation by Stan Hazen yesterday. He of eggs (phosphatidylcholine) and red meat (l-carnitine) intake procmotes atherosclerosis. I asked my supervisor for permission to go, and he said, "Oh, i was planning to go too. And the director of our organization may be there too." So, in other words, no acting crazy, and shouting out "Liar!" when he uses the Nurse's Health Study or a Mediterranean diet study as support for red meat being known to cause heart disease.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. He made some pretty primal points in the intro.

He talked about the Turnbaugh et al. paper (Nature 444: 1027 (2006)) where they showed in mice that that the gut microbiome from obese mice can cause them harvest more energy from the same amount of food by metabolizing undigestible food into products like butyrate that we can absorb and get energy from. Totally primal in the sense that it's not always as simple as calories in, calories out.

He talked about the role of the environment in health. That everyday we eat kg quantities of foreign materials, and of course that is going to have an impact. The small molecules that our gut bacteria make from it can also alter us by acting as a hormone.

He posited that in fact, our gut bacteria may be the largest endocrine organ in the body; that it has plasticity which is dependent on the population variability; and that like other endocrine organs, may in fact be druggable, i.e., one could target production of various molecules by gut bacteria.

In his conclusion at the end of the talk, he spoke of getting nutrients from real food, say a steak, vs. energy drinks like Fuze or Monster. He had mentioned earlier during the talk that the amount of l-carnitine in Monster can be as much as 4-6 steaks. But it's really hard to tell how much is really there, because they use an "energy blend" which allows them to change quantities up at any given time.

He had a George Foreman grill in his office to cook all the steaks. One of the prices of fame was that he had to get rid of it. He's not giving any diet recommendations - he refers people to the standard AHA diet, whatever that is; I'm assuming CW.

So that's the beginning and end of the talk. I won't go into the meat (LOL) of the talk because that's basically what was written in the papers. What I did like was the way he ordered it: Phase 1 - Discovery based metabolomics; Phase 2: Clinical Validation; and Phase 3 Mechanistic Studies.

The discovery-based metabolomics starts with their GeneBank where they have been collecting samples from heart patients at the Cleveland Clinic. They looked at blood from randomly selected patients for analytes that associate with disease. They came up with several, but three analytes with m/z ratios of 76, 104, and 118 were correlated with each other, and these turned out to be choline, betaine and TMAO. There was a long explanation about how their metabolomics library said m/z of 76 was glycine, and what they had to do to figure out that it was actually TMAO.

All of that to say, that the way he tells the story, he had no agenda against red meat; this was just the way the data fell out.

This thread was inspirational. We weigh about the same (140lbs), and I have some of the same issues of gaining/losing. I saw that the potato diet worked for Martha, and it has actually worked for me in the past, but potatoes don't always agree with me. It looks like IF also, worked for her, and I sometimes find myself eating three meals just out of habit, so why not give IF a try? So, on Monday, I skipped breakfast. On Tuesday, had a Bulletproof tea, lunch and dinner.

I started Monday at 64.4 kg, Tuesday 63.8 and this morning 63.7. Those don't sound like big changes, but here's where I was the previous two weeks: Week 1 Mon-Thurs 64.6, 64.3, 64, 64; Week 2 Mon-Thurs 64.6, 64.3, 64.2, 64.3. The weeks before that were more of the same.

I jinxed myself last time I was losing weight, so won't get too carried away. But this is sort of exciting.

What I've been up to

I've sort of abandoned this journal and here's why. I found a functional medicine doc, and within that practice, I've seen him, and a naturopathic doc. I got a lot of testing done. I don't have those results on me, but apparently I have the vit B2 status of a vegan (j/k - but it's low), marginal Vit D (30nmol/L), and my intestinal microbiota is off enough to be of concern. My platelets, and hemoglobin are low but they think it's from heavy periods.

I have to interrupt myself to say one thing about Vitamin D. I had been taking 1000 IU of vit D for three months prior to testing to get that. The ND thought that was OK, because most of the testing for Vitamin D deficiency have been done in white people, so we actually don't know what the right ranges are for black people. Maybe we are adapted to having lower levels. She did counsel me to continue taking vit D, to make sure I was taking it with fat for better absorption and to take a better quality fish oil (I was trying to finish up my CVS brand capsules before starting on my fermented cod liver oil. At her suggestion, I threw all of the CVS stuff out).

Still, I was a little disturbed that she was OK with me being on the low end of normal. I've started trying to find papers to support what the normal levels of Vit D should be. I haven't found it yet, but interestingly, one paper seems to support adaptive responses in african americans that reduce the harmful effects of vitamin D deficiency on bone mineral density. However, that adaptation might not be present in other diseases where vitamin D plays a role, such as autoimmune diseases, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases
    Vitamin D and African Americans

Hmmm. I'm not sure if my vit D was measured in nmol/l or ng/L...will have to look that up at home.

And here is the abstract from a study on Vit D using NHANES III data : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11996918

"Bone. 2002 May;30(5):771-7.
    Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status of adolescents and adults in two seasonal subpopulations from NHANES III.
    Looker AC, Dawson-Hughes B, Calvo MS, Gunter EW, Sahyoun NR.
    Source

National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Room 900, 6525 Belcrest Road, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA. acl1@cdc.gov
    Abstract

Subclinical vitamin D deficiency may be common in certain subgroups in the U.S., but to date vitamin D data from other groups in the population have not been available. We used serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-OHD) data from 18,875 individuals examined in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III 1988-1994) to assess the vitamin D status of selected groups of the noninstitutionalized U.S. adolescent and adult population. Serum 25-OHD levels were measured by a radioimmunoassay kit (DiaSorin, Inc., Stillwater, MN; normal range 22.5-94 nmol/L). Because physical exams are performed in mobile vans in NHANES, data could not be collected in northern latitudes during the winter; instead data were collected in northern latitudes during summer and in southern latitudes in winter. To address this season-latitude aspect of the NHANES design, we stratified the sample into two seasonal subpopulations (winter/lower latitude and summer/higher latitude) before examining vitamin D status. Less than 1% of the winter/lower latitude subpopulation had vitamin D deficiency (25-OHD <17.5 nmol/L). However, the prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in this group ranged from 1%-5% with 25-OHD <25 nmol/L to 25%-57% with 25-OHD <62.5 nmol/L, even though the median latitude for this subsample (32 degrees N) was considerably lower than the latitude at which vitamin D is not synthesized during winter months (approximately 42 degrees N). With the exception of elderly women, prevalence rates of vitamin D insufficiency were lower in the summer/higher latitude subpopulation (<1%-3% with 25-OHD <25 nmol/L to 21%-49% with 25-OHD <62.5 nmol/L). Mean 25-OHD levels were highest in non-Hispanic whites, intermediate in Mexican Americans, and lowest in non-Hispanic blacks. Our findings suggest that vitamin D deficiency is unlikely in the two seasonal subpopulations of noninstitutionalized adolescents and adults that can be validly assessed in NHANES III. However, vitamin D insufficiency is more common in these two seasonal subpopulations. Of particular interest is that insufficiency occurred fairly frequently in younger individuals, especially in the winter/lower latitude subsample. Our findings support continued monitoring of this vitamin in the U.S. population."

also discussed in Forbes Kevin Ware And Vitamin D Deficiency in African-Americans - Forbes

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast