Thread: Primal Journal (Dulcimina)

Threaded View

Primal Journal (Dulcimina)

What cheating looks like

On Friday, I was 149 lbs with a 31 inch waist. By Monday, I was 153 lbs. Yesterday, I was 155. My head felt like it was stuffed with cotton wool all day. On my 3 mile walk home from work, I noticed that my fingers were swollen like boiled hotdogs. This used to be a frequent occurrence when I was thirty pounds heavier, not so much in the last year. Once I got home, my ankles were swollen. The allergies/itchy palate came back. I have flaky psoriasis patches on my face. I didn’t sleep until midnight, but woke up at 5am. I stayed in bed until 7am trying to get some rest. I’m still exhausted. This morning, I was 156lbs.

I didn’t intend to start my journal (my second post on the forums!) with such a negative post. I’ve been lifting heavy things for almost nine months. I’ve been primal +dairy for six months, and low carb before that, sleeping the sleep of the righteous for two months and intermittent fasting for about a month. No throwing up after every meal.

Heck, I’ve had my mom, who has been type II diabetic for over thirty years, and stubborn to boot to try paleo for a month now. She still eats limited amounts of beans and rice, and she says that the sweet potatoes and plantains don’t cause a big rise in her blood sugar. I got her to go out on her balcony for ten minutes a day for Vitamin D, a big deal for someone who doesn’t drive, and doesn’t seem to go outside except to go to church and to doctor’s appointments. T he swelling and pain in her feet has reduced so much that she is even talking about going walking in the mall with my dad.

So, I know I can do this primal thing. I know that I can use it help other people. But every six months or so, a wave of magical bs thinking sweeps over me. I can have cake in the house and not binge! It’s gluten-free so it’s OK! This is my 20%! One bite won't hurt!

So, I am starting my journal with a reminder that when I cheat, I gain seven pounds (of hopefully water) in six days. It hurts my brain. It hurts my skin. It hurts my intestines. It probably hurts my kidneys, if extreme water retention is anything to go by. If whatever I am hoovering into my mouth is worth all of that, then please, go ahead and have another piece.

B: Cake. I found a recipe for a cake called bibingka that contains sweetened condensed milk, mochiko flour, coconut milk, young coconut in syrup, brown sugar and eggs. I've been eating it since Saturday. I put the leftovers in the freezer so I wouldn't be tempted. That worked really well.

So what’s the plan for the rest of the day?

L: Either Frittata and/or slow cooker pork with coleslaw dressed with olive oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, cilantro.
    3 strawberries

D: MDA’s faux pho (can’t remember the real name) with some mixed greens stirred in after heating it up

Two one-hour sessions of walking (walk to the library at lunch and then walk home) instead of lifting weights

Go to bed at 10 pm tonight.
    Last edited by Dulcimina; 05-16-2012 at 08:23 AM.