Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Dulcimina) page 2

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So I never did finish yesterday.

I had the ribeye, a couple small pieces of grilled chicken, one ear of corn, a third of a Hass avocado and a few tablespoons of the "ice cream". The ice cream had a weird texture and I could taste too much of the banana coming through.

My dad was in charge of the grill. He acted a little weird wrt the ribeye because i asked him to turn it with tongs instead of a fork which would pierce it, cause all the juice to run out, and the meat to dry out. I told him I read that on the internet. A bit of banter ensued about needing the internet to grill. But I digress. He ended up pulling the meat out before he thought it was ready because he didn't want to overdo my internet meat. The internet told me 8 mins per side. My sister had me check the temperature. 110oF, so not even rare. i put it back on the grill, even with the hole from the thermometer that would surely have all the juices running out, woe is me, etc.

When we pulled it out, I slathered it with butter to finish. It was a perfect medium rare and the juiciest, most delicious piece of beef I've ever eaten!

Yesterday's meals:

B: Frittata
    L: 2 chicken thighs and roasted cauliflower and broccoli
    D: beef soup with swiss chard
    Dessert: rest of the banana ice cream, equivalent of 3/4 banana
    5 sf chewing gum

No exercise

Today:
    I slept only 5 hrs last night. I went to bed a little before 10 and was wide awake at 3am. Usually, I'll go back to sleep eventually. Today, I didn't, so I read a book. I did end up taking a nap midday.

Exercise: I meant to go into work so that things wouldn't be backed up tomorrow. That didn't happen. Since the gym is in the building at work, that didn't happen either. I did end up taking a long walk, 1.5 hrs, to go to the store and the library. I saw some old people attacking a tree with purple leaves. The same trees were on my side of the street. Eventually, I saw that they were full of fruit the same color as the leaves. i thought they were plums at first, but when I finally grabbed one , realized the fruits were cherries.

I ate one and didn't die. It was the most sour cherry thing I have tasted. I forage! I am so totally primal!

Meals:

I had to go to the rental property to meet the pest control guy. So I just grabbed 2oz cheese as I ran out the door. Apparently, I have rats. He suggested that I could turn a hose on the burrows and bash the rats on the head when they emerged. I think he was joking...

Lunch: 2 chicken thighs, roasted broccoli/cauliflower
    Dinner: beef stew with butternut squash and kale; iced tea sweetened with stevia; cashew butter with dates

Slept 7 hrs, woke up naturally 30 mins before my alarm went off

B: frittata.
    L: baked chicken, roasted cauliflower and broccoli
    D: salted cod and greens; mango; 3 dates; handful of raw almonds

Exercise: started nrol4w again
    12 mins of intervals on the stationary bike

Have been 150lbs two days in a row.
    Slept 7 hrs
    B: frittata
    L: Chipotle bowl, coke zero
    D: greens and salt fish
    chewing gum

Wow, it's been a whole year since i started here!

Iíve decided that for Lent, Iím going to be the best person that I can be. My own imperfect self, but the best version of that that I can be at any given moment. Perhaps that means Iíll have a few sweet treats at a moment where I had not planned to. Iíll have those treats, and then try to figure out how to avoid that situaion the next time.

But believe it or not, Iím not focused solely on food. I figured the best me will get 8 hours of sleep. Which means no more Daily Show at 11 when I know Iíve got to be up by 6:30. It means less teevee overall, because I canít fit TV plus everything else I want to do between 8pm when I get home (if Iíve gone to the gym after work) and getting to bed at 10:30. It means less internet surfing at lunchtime, and more taking a walk in the winter sunshine. It means making my bed in the morning before I leave, and washing the dishes at night. It means doing some of the things that I have been putting off forever, like re-wiring the lamp the buzzes and cuts out, or buying the blackout curtains so that I donít stay awake fascinated by the pretty grid that the streetlights make on my ceiling.

The hope is that if everything else is in place Ė the sleep, the walking, a clean, uncluttered environment, and less stress from procrastinating that the eating will fall into place also.

So now to the eating.

The menu for next week will be coconut oil-poached tilapia with asian pear slaw from thepaleomom.com. I donít really care all that much for tilapia, but Iíve got a large bag taking up room in my freezer.

Papas rellenos Colombianas. So my coworker from Guatemala who brings me goodies made by his 70+ year old mom like yuca bunuelos, or tamales at Christmas time, mentioned that his brother in law from Colombia was trying to make some potato dish with ground beef and hardboiled eggs. He didnít think I would be able to eat it because it contains flour Ė arepa flour. Are you kidding me? Yah, I know corn isnít terribly primal, but you brought me tamales! And Iíve done Whole 30, as well as a superstrict autoimmune protocol for 45 days, with no issues on reintroduction. I think I can have this dish. So after looking around, I found a recipe at mycolombianrecipes.com. Itís basically mashed potatoes stuffed with beef-vegetable mixture then fried. Iím not a fan of frying, mainly because of the lingering smell, so Iím going to try an egg wash/almond flour coating and then baking.

On the same site, I found a recipe for sopa de camarones, coco y platano. This website is speaking my language Ė not Spanish, obviously, but the language of shrimp, coconut and green plantain soup. It uses 3 cans of coconut milk to 1lb of shell on shrimp for 4-6 servings. I may reduce this to 2 cans plus a can of bone broth.

Quiche: I have many quiche/frittata recipes, but the one Iíll be making is one from shecookshecleans.com that has bacon, Emmentaler and cream as the main ingredients. Iíve got some powdered buttermilk, Iím wondering if I could a spoon or two to sour the cream a little. For the crust, Iím going to use hash browns. Yes, folks, I tried the infamous Potato Diet, and now have about 8 pounds of potatoes to dispose of, hence this crust and the papas rellenos above. Iíve got two cauliflowers sitting in my refrigerator drawer. If there is more potato leftover after the above, I may also do a mashed potatoes mashed cauli mixture.

Cottage pie: Iíve got two recipes for this. One is a ďcupcakeĒ recipe from PRIME pursuit.com, and the other is made in a castiron pan from NourishedKitchen.com. Iím going to go with the cupcake version so that I can freeze leftovers in individual portions. It calls for butternut squash, so I can use up my senior citizen squash for this and use my two sweet potatoes elsewhere. It also doesnít call for any dairy. I think Iím dairyed out with the quiche. Iím not going to use the pecans. Theyíre just for garnish, and I donít see any point in adding extra nuts to things just because.

Meatballs over spaghetti squash: Iím using the recipe from Roost: A Simple Life. Iím not using veal, but I can mix in either ground pork or ground chicken with the beef. I have a jar of Raoís spaghetti sauce aging in the refrigerator. Iím stoked to have a recipe to use it in.

Desserts

Two recipes from Fitnesstreats. Chestnut cookies. 6tbsp chestnut flour, 1tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp of honey. Thatís it. Iíve got a bag of chestnut flour that I want to use up, and this is this weekís recipe to get that ball rolling.

Sweet potato fig pie. This is basically a mashed sweet potatoe with some figs, egg yolks and a little cornstarch. I may sub in arrowroot starch, but I havenít decided yet.

Other
    Marmalade: I found a beautiful recipe for marmalade on the Wednesday Chef.com. It called for two ingredients: Seville oranges and sugar. And what did I happen to stroll past in the produce section of H-mart in my frantic search for sazon Goyo con azafran but a whole pile of nubby bitter oranges.. I snagged a pound which is 1/3 of what the recipe calls for, and I bought a bag of white sugar while wandering around town late Friday night. I know sugar is pretty frowned on here, but I think Iím OK with this. I love sour things Ė I have a brick of tamarind sitting in my refrigerator to make juice, no sugar added; I suck on lemons; I make my kombucha sour- but I donít binge on any of those. Iíll have to figure out how I will use it, as I donít want to compound matters by buying gluten free breads or crackers to serve it with.

Two things:

1) Metric FAIL. Because 200 deg C is not equal to 450 deg F
    2) And metric FAIL. Because I actually bought 1.2 kilos (6 oranges) which is exactly what the recipe calls for. For the love of sugar, I cannot recreate how I came up with ď1/3Ē.

So that was really one thing, not two. But what this meant is that when I bought that 4lb bag of sugar on Friday night, I figured I would have leftover to spare. Instead, Iíve had to come up with 2 keys of white sugar. Which meant dipping into my kombucha sugar stash. I remember back in the day when you could buy 5 lbs of sugar for the same price. If I was a drug dealer, I would be cutting a bitch right now.

But that stuff on the stove smells really good. Iíve been going in and out of the apartment just to get a fresh hit of the aroma when I come back in.

I am in so much trouble. It is at the stage where Iím supposed to spoon some into a saucer, and place the saucer in the freezer to see if a skin forms. I keep tasting it. I should add bittersweet to the list of likes.

The word that has been coming to mind, over the past two days is mindfulness. I had some Hershey's kisses leftover from Valentine's day. I had a few...and then a few more. Then I realized there was something blunted about the taste, and I didn't like them that much. I'm not one of those people that loves dark chocolate, but after months of no junk candy, my perception changed. More importantly, instead of continuing to binge on them anyway, I took the rest of the bag to work to share with my colleagues.

my first primal party

This was an unbirthday party for my niece who just turned 12.

The menu:

Nibbles:
    Homemade plantain crackers (recipe from the paleo mom)
    Baby potatoes wrapped with bacon
    clockwise on large plate: toasted nori, rice crackers, dried kimchi (from Trader Joe's) and smoked salmon

Drinks:
    Sangria - virgin and um, non-virgin (not shown)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Main course:
    Jerk chicken wings
    rice and peas
    quiche (chicken sausage, because some family members don't eat pork , and I already had one dish with bacon)
    broccoli crunch slaw (not in picture)

I didn't mean to have the rice and beans. I asked my mom to bring the chicken, and a couple of other things like a cake tray. She asked me if I needed rice to go with the chicken. I said no. We ended the call with her saying, "So I just need to bring the chicken and the rice and peas, right?" Um, no. But my mom is old school like that, so we had rice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast