Thread: Does coffee ruin your fast? page

Ribbons is offline Senior Member

Does coffee ruin your fast?

Shop Now
    I was listening to a paleo podcast today and a woman (I can't remember her name) said that coffee is insulinogenic (is that the right word?) and because it's a stimulant it makes you produce adrenaline. But lots of people who IF say that coffee is fine because it doesn't have calories. Do you still get the benefits of fasting if you have plain coffee?

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    Yes, definitely. I put whole raw milk in my coffee when I drink it, fasting or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffdv View Post
    Yes, definitely. I put whole raw milk in my coffee when I drink it, fasting or not.
    But if the benefits of fasting are about the hormones involved then doesn't the insulin and adrenaline mess with that?

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    [from Mark's q and a on fasting recently]

Can I drink coffee or tea during a fast? How about adding cream or coconut oil to it – will that take me out of the fasted state?

Coffee is actually beneficial for fat-burning, especially during a fast. One study found that an infusion of epinephrine – a hormone which coffee increases – during “starvation” enhanced its lipolytic and thermogenic effects. In other words, fat-burning and metabolism up-regulated in response to epinephrine (more so than usual). Epinephrine also lowers appetite, which can be extremely helpful for people trying to stave off hunger during a fast. Tea, and anything non-caloric, is also fine.

Adding a pure fat source won’t “take you out” of the fasted state, and it may take the edge off the hunger, but it will reduce the body fat you burn by a bit.

Read more: Intermittent Fasting FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    [from Mark's q and a on fasting recently]

Can I drink coffee or tea during a fast? How about adding cream or coconut oil to it – will that take me out of the fasted state?

Coffee is actually beneficial for fat-burning, especially during a fast. One study found that an infusion of epinephrine – a hormone which coffee increases – during “starvation” enhanced its lipolytic and thermogenic effects. In other words, fat-burning and metabolism up-regulated in response to epinephrine (more so than usual). Epinephrine also lowers appetite, which can be extremely helpful for people trying to stave off hunger during a fast. Tea, and anything non-caloric, is also fine.

Adding a pure fat source won’t “take you out” of the fasted state, and it may take the edge off the hunger, but it will reduce the body fat you burn by a bit.

Read more: Intermittent Fasting FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thanks
    That's interesting. But what about the insulin and adrenalin?? Should I stop worrying about them?

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    It is my understanding that adrenaline encourages fat metabolism, not inhibits it. AS for insulin, coffee alone does not trigger an insulin response.

Also in one of Mark's many fasting posts was mention that as long as you eat/drink less than 15% of your normal caloric intake it still counts as being in a fasted state. I regularly fast 20 hours and eat hour hours dinner to dinner, 2-4 times per week. Sometimes I'll get pretty hungry at 3 or 4 and I'll have a handful of almonds or a hard boiled egg to help make it through to dinner. I think we all tend to over-analyze this whole thing, I know I certainly do. After losing 47lbs in 8 months I still weigh every morning and every night and write it down. Don't send me hate mail, I don't care, I'm still going to weigh. I CAN'T STOP!!!!

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    The only ruinous effect I get from coffee is when I go to the bathroom.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

oh no, tmi! wrong thread! :-)