Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Mom with a SAD Toddler. Please Weigh In! page

DeilaMiah is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Primal Mom with a SAD Toddler. Please Weigh In!

Primal Fuel
    I'm a late in life mom. Although I already have grown assed kids (eyeroll... you other parents know), I went and had another.

He is 3. He is headstrong, stubborn, defiant, independent..... in other words... a royal pain!!! (smiles)

I have been Primal/Paleo for about 5 months now. It works for me as I have Fibro and CFS... and being a Grok makes me less painful and less tired. Although I have done everything I can to get my son to go Primal, he still holds out for certain things like:

Ramen Noodles (GAW the smell of them sickens me)

Kraft Mac&Cheese (YELLOW POWDERED CHEESE?!?!??)

Breakfast yogurt with FIBER ONE CEREAL

Crackers

I truly TRULY need ya'lls help. In September we are to be stationed in Germany for 3 years and I would like this sweet child o' mine to be converted before we leave.

ANY and ALL suggestions will be taken!
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Annana is offline Senior Member
    All I can really think of to recommend is that you just don't have that sort of thing in the house. If it's not there, then maybe he'll then eat something else? My daughter is 3, but we went primal well over a year ago so she never really got into grains at home. Unfortunately her grandparents insist on feeding her them. But if she wants something that is sometimes in the house, such as a cake, she'll just eat something else if told that that there isn't any left.

I don't know if that'll be any help, but hopefully someone else will have better advice! I guess you could even try making homemade macaroni and cheese with gluten free pasta; it's not the best, but it's far better than Kraft! And also, plain live yoghurt with fruit added in would be a good breakfast; that's what my daughter usually has.

I know it sounds weird, but you could also explain to him why those foods are bad. It may not seem like he's interested, but it's surprising what they listen to! I keep talking to my daughter about why some food is bad for her and why she shouldn't eat too much of it. She seems to remember, but it doesn't always put her off. But hopefully it will once she's older.

Anyway, good luck!

Annana.

Thanks so much for your response. Trust me, *I* don't bring that crap into the house any longer.... it's all my hubby. When I am too tired to cook, he decides it's time for Ramen or Kraft or Hamburger Helper.

I would LOVE some recipes that I can *do* ahead of time so that my Bubbi wouldn't have to resort to *daddy;s cooking*. Heat & eat!

PS. The more I find something disgusting, the more he finds it funny to eat. THAT'S how I got him to eat broccoli!!
    Last edited by DeilaMiah; 05-16-2012 at 01:37 AM.

EMAIL ME!

Annana is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a crock pot? I've had one in the cupboard for about 3 years but never used it. I finally gave it a go last week and it's amazing! You just stick in your ingredients in the morning, turn it on, and supper is ready at dinner time! It's amazing when you don't feel like cooking, and you can make almost anything in it. I put in two sliced onions, a kilo of rolled brisket, two bay leaves and a bottle of ale, then left it on low for 9 hours. We ended up with a very tasty meal with no effort. And they apparently use less energy than a lightbulb.

Other meals that are good ahead of time are things like curry, stew, shepherd's pie and chilli. And almost all of them can be made in a crock pot too. That's funny how you got him to eat broccoli! 3 year olds are really weird; I know mine is!
    Oh, and for quick easy meals, things like pork or lamb chops with some steamed veg only takes about 10 minutes. Or fish, or steak with veg.

billp is offline Senior Member
    You can only do so much with little children. If they like something and want to eat it, they can be pretty insistent. I like to think that as an adutl I probably don't know what their nutritional requirements are as well as their own tastes do, but still, I don't want anything to go too far.

So, what I do is:

Allow bread. Home made only, contains lard which is a great preservative. I offer it fried in dripping or with butter and honey. I don't eat the stuff myself but it is what they want to eat.

But... I offer alternatives. I also offer eggs, boiled or fried, and meat, and especially big bits of roast animal fat and skin which they love. Usually they will eat the fat and leave the meat.

I buy the odd quail to roast. This is very popular because one 3yr old can almost manage a whole one, whereas with chicken they can only manage a bit. It is much more impressive to have your own bird to eat.

I offer veg but the only stuff that ever gets taken up are raw carrots and raw peas. Cooked veg of any kind seems totally out.

Seeing as neither of them will eat potatoes or sweet potatoes (and nor would I at that age) I also offer rice. And wheat spaghetti sometimes too because life it too short to be strict about these things. Normally if I am offering meat and fat too, then not much pasta or bread gets eaten.

I do offer ice cream, but now all the old nasty ice cream is used up I only offer "clean" ice cream, like the some Haagen Daz stuff with no veg oil, colouring or HFCS. Vanilla and Strawberry are both in that category. With meant and especially fat ever available the take upo of bread, pasta and ice cream is really much reduced. I don't think it is necessary to reduce ti to nothing as neither of them are over weight or have any allergies. If they want to give up wheat when they are older thy can, and if they started having problems I would in a flash.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Here's some things that work for us:
    breakfasts: alternating porridge and ricies (with yoghurt,raw milk and cream on top). we initially tried them on soup / bacon and eggs but they rebelled and we decided it wasn't worth losing the war over
    snacks: fruit, nuts and carrot slices are pretty much it now
    dinner: they enjoy sausages and steamed carrots/broccoli (green trees). We have lots of other meats too but those are the highlights.
    dessert: usually bananas, whipped cream and some grated chocolate. home made ice cream is a fun alternative

Our kids do miss and ask for breads (and pizza), and once in a blue moon we will relent and make some. But they have adapted fairly well to primal treats, particularly pudding.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Have you discussed the issue with your hubby? I have a nearly 2yo boy and 4yo girl. DD was somewhat resistant to the changes at first, refused to give up her fake cheese. We stopped buying it and now she'll eat slices off a block that is real cheese. Kids won't starve themselves, but some will refuse to eat what you serve if they think you'll cave and let them eat whatever.

Using a crockpot is a great idea, makes things easier. We do lunch meat once a week as our non-cooking meal. But we also make plenty for leftovers each time I cook. This week we had baked chicken with green beans and potato fries, pizza made with a cheese crust, and a breakfast casserole with hashbrowns, sausage, cheese, egg, sour cream, and butter, tonight we'll grill. Both kids ate plenty each night.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I have read that it can take up to 10 tastes for a child to like a new food and I've experienced it with my 9 yr old son. That doesn't guarantee they will like something after 10 tastes... The taste buds of a child change a lot and things do takes radically different to them. My son still considers Brussels sprouts the epitome of evil.

My son too eats SAD. At your sons age, you can certainly try substituting healthier versions of his favourite SAD foods. Definitely a great idea above is also to make sure you have primal offerings with the SAD food. Smaller serving of the mac & cheese with broccoli 'trees' and if your son demands more m&c 'sure, but finish your broccoli trees first'. My son eats an enormous amount of veggies and know that if he wants something junky, he has to eat veggies or fruit too. I'd say how he'd become Super Boy eating one of the super magical foods (and he would chant the list 'blueberries, almonds, dark leafy veggies, protein, water' I kind of made them up back then). I'd claim to feel more muscle and see how much faster he was after eating the good stuff. I'd marvel and he'd peacock his superpowers. When he ate something not so good and show me his muscles I'd sadly say I saw no difference but not to worry all he needed to do was have another bite of the pepper-boat and the super powers would come back. He is now in the habit of knowing that if he finishes dinner and is still hungry, his choices are veggies or fruit.

I am slowly reducing the SAD aspects of his diet, but he doesn't like to eat a lot of meat, so it's hard on that end. I am constantly struggling against his changing tastes and uninterest in new things so I feel your frustration. My husband doesn't eat fruit or veggies at all which KILLS me. And our budget is tiny, so it's tough. There is a paleo book for kids coming out called 'Eat Like A Dinosaur'. You might want to look for their website as they raise two young'uns as paleo eaters. Here is their website Paleo Parents

I'm sure you are doing this already, but I made it fun and a game to eat the stuff I wanted my son to eat. 'No, don't eat my trees (broccoli). ' giant monster son is eating our garden, we must flee', cutting the sweet peppers into 'boats' and him biting holes in them to sink them, and stuff like that. Veggie faces, having HIM help make and set up his dinner, giving him choices 'do you want this or this' so he feels like he has a little control...

My big mistake was not serving enough cooked veggies. He pretty much will only eat them cooked if it's a stir fry. And that's a weekly tradition - Monday night stir-fry with lots of brightly coloured bite sized veggies and meat!

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I would have a chat with hubby, and see if you can agree to eliminate the 'quick and dirty' meals. Then set up a plan for what to have instead.

Crockpots are great, I use mine frequently. But that only works if I remember to plan to use it, chop the veggies the night before, and make time in the morning for assembly. However, when it is done I put stuff in the freezer for rapid meals.

My real go-to for kids and insta-dinner is meatballs. I make a huge batch of primal meatballs about once a month. Then portion into baggies (usually 20 per bag) and throw in the freezer. On those real crunch nights, I will put a bag of frozen meatballs and jar of (no sugar, good stuff) tomato sauce in a pyrex, and nuke it until cooked. Meanwhile, make white rice in the rice cooker with broccoli or other veg in the steamer basket of the rice cooker. Twenty minutes tops, and dinner is done, plus everything used for cooking goes in the dishwasher.

At three, they are...ehem....tenacious. But I think not having the stuff in the house for a length of time is critical.

Hi everyone and thank you all SO MUCH for your replies.

Let's see if I can address it all.

1. He is certainly a stubborn teenager trapped in a 3 year olds body. He wants what he wants. To the point that he no longer goes to the grocery store. He isn't whiney, he is repetitive.

2. *I* am to blame as well. Since I only became Paleo a few months ago, I definitely fed him the Ramen noodles and mac&cheese (never the Hamburger Helper though UGH) so, attempting to keep those things away from him throws me into SUCH a guilt.

3. Zavier DOES eat primal I'd say... 75% of the time. I just really REALLY want the *quick and dirty* out of his life. We have shiritaki noodles to replace the Ramen, which he DOES like (no *real* calories but it's usually drenched in ghee and spices). I have made nut crackers, which he gobbles up. As for the mac&cheese.... I need a REALLY cheesy recipe to blow his mind.

4. DH. OY. Talk about a teenager trapped in a man's body. He thinks he's giving us *treats* when he gives Zavier that crap... or buys me M&Ms.

5. I have 2 Crock pots.... one for *food*, one for making Kefir. I think I must have every frikken INFOMERCIAL gadget on the planet! (Dehydrator, BlendTec, Indoor Grill, NuWave, Juicer, etc) I just don't have the counter space to keep them all on hand. Which sucks. It's one of those *out of sight, out of mind* situations for me.

6. YOU GUYS ROCK!!! I think my post was more of a vent then anything else.... although I am so very thankful for all of the suggestions. I bought the *Eat like a Dinosaur* book for Zee..... but those certain foods he just doesn't seem to want to let go of.

EMAIL ME!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast