Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me promote better health at workplace page

fishin-frog is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Good morning. I'm a long time lurker and first time poster here. I'm looking for ideas to politely encourage better health at my workplace. A group of very dedicated and selfless coworkers participate in the Susan G Komen 3 day walk for breast cancer research. One of their fundraisers is to place candy and snacks(chips and such) in the kitchen with a donation container. I'm all for raising money for a good cause and I believe their cause is noble. I think their choice of a fundraiser sends a bad message given the charity. Any suggestions the Primal crowd can offer would be appreciated. I'm sure many of you have experienced similar things at your work. Thanks!

PrimalChat is offline Junior Member

Trade emails with the kitchen manager - and get HR's approval ahead of time. The healthier people eat, you'd explain, the less sick time the organization might see. With their blessing, see if the kitchen manager can make a healthy offering one day a week. Call it Wellness Wednesday or something like that. And, for snacks, see if they could order packaged almonds to put in with the chips, candy, etc. At least that alternative would be available.

Resolve to Evolve

Jeff

Twitter: @jpickett1968

PrimalJ Guest

Good luck,

My workmates just keep repeating "everything in moderation" and "it's whatever works for you".

Both intellectually lazy arguments to make them feel better.

They're also gaining weight or struggling on very low cal diets and innefficient gym routines ("wensday I do upper arms, friday mid arms, etc.)

I attribute this to intellectual laziness - they're stuck in their ways and refuse to challenge what they believe. It's a comfort blanket, and telling them that they're wrong just makes them resort to the same old answers.

If you've noticed, the people that live a healthy lifestyle are often more "engaged" in thinking and constantly challenging themselves.

J

avocado is offline Senior Member

It's sad that they're using snacks and candy, it really is.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Yeah. Selling candy to support Komen for the Cure makes about as much as sense as sinking bazillions of dollars into researching "The Cure" in the first place. How about PREVENTION, people??? Get it right on prevention, and you won't NEED a cure, NOW WILL YOU??? *headdesk*

Sorry to shout. This might be a pet peeve of mine.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I attribute this to intellectual laziness - they're stuck in their ways and refuse to challenge what they believe. It's a comfort blanket, and telling them that they're wrong just makes them resort to the same old answers.

If you've noticed, the people that live a healthy lifestyle are often more "engaged" in thinking and constantly challenging themselves.
    Very well put. I see sow many coworkers in this description and usually chose to not even bother to ever say anything to them. They just get very defensive.

I always understood what it was, but you just put it so well here.

On the subject though...it might be very hard to change mind-sets of all of your coworkers single-handedly. If you're up to it though, why not make some home-made primal treats to raise the funds? For example, instead of making regular cookies, why not make some coconut macaroons? Just whip up some egg whites, add a bit of natural sweetener like stevia, and then fold in some shredded coconut. Bake just like regular cookie and offer your co-workers a healthy alternative they can feel good about buying and eating.

trustmrtwo is offline Junior Member

I agree with all of you so far. We're talking about a complete paradigm shift, and for most people that's not appealing (because they are lazy, not willing to challenge themselves). I'm still in the process of convincing my family (more importantly my fiance, to switch to PB, which has been so frustrating I've given up!!!). She is a P.E. teacher and has a good amount of physical science classes under her belt (kinesiology, anatomical physiology, exercise physiology etc..) Needless to say her CW attitude is telling her that I'm wrong. She also works out with a group of people at a large gym, they have a personal trainer and dietitian to "help" them. She's been working out for 3 months and hasn't seen impressive results (I think she's lost 3-5lbs). She is also victim to counting calories, as if they are the only thing that matter, which is SOOOOOOOO frustrating. I think we just need to do the best we can to promote health to people we work with or loved ones and if we can get them to eliminate processed food, that would be a great accomplishment. If anyone has any suggestions to help "convert" my fiance, let me know!

Prowler Guest

("wensday I do upper arms, friday mid arms, etc.)

I laughed out loud at this. So true!

PrimalJ Guest

too bad I have a typo...

Wednesday

fishin-frog is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. I knew this might strike a chord with a few folks around here. It's an uphill struggle, but worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast