Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bananas, Leg Cramps & Sugar Addiction page

kjake55 Guest

Primal Fuel

I suffer fron serious calf and foot cramps and have had them for most of my adult life. They are severe enough to wake me out of a dead sleep and will literally curl my toes into unnatural positions. I've been told that they are a result of 1)wearing stupidly high heels for everything in my yournger days, 2)poor circulation in my lower legs and feet and 3)old injuries left unattended.

I have taken multiple steps to correct the issue including regular massage, wearing lower heels, quit smoking and eating a banana everyday.

Here's the dilema. Until recently when I started going primal I had no idea that I had a such a sugar addiction! I always knew I had a "sweet tooth" but I kinda got smacked in the face when I started keeping my food journal on-line. I've successfully beaten 2 other addictions (cigaretts and the abuse of food as a source of comfort) and although currently struggling will beat the need for a sugar fix as well.

Question. Can anyone suggest a suitable substitute for my daily banana. I know they are way high in sugar but I also know they help keep my legs healthy. I've tried it out to be sure and yes, withinn 3-4 days of not eating bananas I start getting the cramps again. I don't want to sub a pill for the banana. I take a MV and krill daily.

P.S. Sorry for the long post. I'm really just trying to learn all this.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

it's likely the potassium in the banana that is helping out with the cramps. just sub out the banana for even better sources of it. there are lots like sweet potatoes, beet greens, tomato puree, halibut or tuna. do a google search and lots of foods that are even higher in potassium than a banana will come up.

jostle is offline Senior Member

You may need to intake more magnesium, which should help with the muscle cramps.

"Magnesium has also been implicated in the prevention of muscle cramps and muscle spasms."

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/jalali/magnesium.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=1 2011773&ordinalpos=9&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.P ubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Here is a good detailed chart of natural sources of magnesium such as spinach, almonds, and pumpkin seeds.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=75

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I sorta have the same thing going on with the bananas and leg cramps. I used to eat a banana every morning and quit. My legs get crampy from time to time. I eat spinach and almonds daily so I'm guessing it's a potassium thing. Really looking forward to some banana "ice cream" this weekend though.

If worse comes to worse, I think I'm going to start taking a regular potassium supplement since I'm not a big fan of eating sweet potato, tuna or beet greens on a regular basis.

Anybody got opinions on potassium as a supplement?

1968Tigers is offline Junior Member

For potassium eat avocado. They are one of the highest foods with potassium. Far better than the sugar laden banana.

The Magnesium advice is also very sound. Most people are deficient in magnesium as it is vital to proper muscle and nerve function.

Especially the heart muscle

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Check if you are anaemic, vitamin B12 deficient. It may help to take vitamin B complex, and some type of trace mineral supplement - for instance use celtic sea salt instead of normal salt.

Catalina is offline Member

I get those sometimes--ow!! I find I don't get them when I take my calcium supplement regularly, but based on comments from some other folks, that may well be because it also has 300 mg of magnesium.

P.S. I hardly ever wore high heels, so don't waste any time beating yourself up over that!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

No heels here either. I used to be practically addicted to them though. Legs getting used to being barefoot nearly all the time now after a winter full of shoes with heels?

chubs is offline Junior Member

Use to have bad cramps too, bananas helped, but found chicken works better for me.

Trinkwasser Guest

Generally seems to be an electrolyte imbalance, but *which* electrolyte may vary.

I went through a bunch of these some time ago and started using Lo-Salt instead of conventional salt (I'd been taking a line of sodium bicarbonate to reduce acid reflux which may have whacked up the sodium too much, and according to my electrolytes this seems to have worked)

Recently I've had a few more after a long period without any cramps, this time I'm trialling tweaking up the magnesium.

One warning about potassium - read the small print if you are taking any meds, particularly blood pressure meds or diuretics: some do not react well to extra potassium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast