Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Guide to Primal Resources page

mikewootini is offline Senior Member

Los Angeles Guide to Primal Resources

Shop Now
    I did some searching and couldn't seem to find a good thread. I thought I'd start one for those living in or visiting Los Angeles.

There are a ton of farmers markets, restaurants, and shops - though I've had a hard time finding 'groups'.

Some good places I've found so far:

Shopping:
    Santa Monica Farmers Market on Saturday (Arizona and 3rd)
    Santa Monica Farmers Market on Sunday (Main St)
    Hollywood Farmers Market on Sunday
    Lindy and Grundy's Butcher (Hollywood)
    Cooportunity (Broadway in Santa Monica)

Restaurants:
    Animal (ask them to point out the non gluten things) (Hollywood Area)
    Another Kind of Sunrise (breakfast, run by paleo-crossfit-chef) (Abbot Kinney, Venice)
    Akasha (Culver City)
    Euphoria Loves Rawvolution (Vegan but amazing!) (Santa Monica)
    KBBQ Places (I refer to these as dirty primal places - meaning the meat origin is suspect)
    K-Town: Parks, (best)
    K-Town: Kang Hodong Baekjeong (Best and cheapest)
    K-Town: Chosun Galbi, (second best)
    K-Town: Palsaik (specializes in Pork Belly)
    K-Town: Road to Seoul,
    K-Town: Feng Mao (All dirty primal but still not bad - even has 'fake' dogmeat which is pig heart)
    Kreation Cafe (Santa Monica)
    Lemonade (Venice, Brentwood, etc)
    Lucques (WeHo)
    Picca (West LA)
    Rustic Canyon/Huckleberry (Santa Monica)
    Tar and Roses (Santa Monica)
    SmokeCity BBQ (Sherman Oaks)
    Baby Blues BBQ (Santa Monica)
    Benny's Tacos (Santa Monica) (awesome organic rotiserie chicken)
    Wurstkuche (Little Tokyo, Venice - Pork Italian and Exotic Sausages only)
    Brians Bowls (Delivery Service - http://www.briansbowls.com )

Fitness:
    Peter Rouse and Alicia Fong at AF Performance
    The Rings, Bars, swings, on the beach in venice and santa monica
    Santa Monica Beach bike trail
    Topanga Canyon Hiking
    220 Fitness
    Dogtown Crossfit
    Temescal Canyon (in Pacific Palisades)
    Paradiso Crossfit (My box and it's awesome!!)

Please add MORE!
    Last edited by mikewootini; 05-23-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: updating a list
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

Here is my review of Euphoria Loves Rawvolution on Yelp:

Euphoria Loves RAWvolution - Santa Monica - Santa Monica, CA

I am basically the opposite of the sort of person you might expect to go to Euphoria.

I'm a total carnivore. I eat pounds of meat (aiming for grass fed) everyday. Many animals have died for my pleasure of eating them. See, I eat paleo and stay away from vegetarian places, and usually run far away screaming when I hear of a 'vegan' place. Most vegan places peddle in soy and wheat based foods and I stay away from grains, legumes, and soy like the plague.

When I first learned of this place, I was exceedingly skeptical that there would be anything I could eat that didn't have wheat, soy, or legumes in it. I started with my usual questions - "Is there wheat and grains in this?" "Do you use soy at all?" "What about sugar?" When I heard "NO" to all that, man was I super surprised to learn how wrong I was!

I first met them at the Santa Monica Farmer's market and tried a 'breakfast' wrap. ( I recommend the red sauce spicy one) My first thoughts were - how is this going to taste good? I'm just going to be hungry in about 15 seconds after eating this. Boy was I wrong, it was super delicious, flavorful, and fresh. This brought me to go to the restaurant - they have a bunch of delicious smoothies and foods there that they do not have at the market. Oh and deserts! They are super delicious - especially the cheesecake.

So since I live close by, I challenged myself to eat there everyday and try something different each day. Some of my favorite things to eat here include:

1) anything that is breakfast like
    2) the 'enchilada'
    3) coconut jerky!
    4) the green smoothie
    5) "cheese" cakes

It's not that the food is just good, inspite of being vegan - it's good because "It's GOOD" and would choose to eat this regularly.

If they had something weak here, I'd say it might be the pizza, because it's not 'pizza' like you expect it's going to be. This is not to mean that it's not GOOD. Same goes for the 'burger'. My only gripe is that places make things like this to make it more approachable and sadly disappoints when it's not EXACTLY like a cheeseburger or piece of pizza.

I warn you that this stuff is raw. Don't be an idiot and expect to go in here and ask them to cater to your whim if you are not going to eat 'raw' food. It's not Burger King and you can't always have things "your way." Your ancestors ate raw food all the time - with dirt on it even - so can you (note: there is no dirt on the food here). If you aren't open minded or into trying new things or you need to fill your fat face with pizza, then head down the street to fill your pie hole as there is a pizza place on the same block.

The atmosphere is a little wonky, but I like that about it. If feels almost like a coffee shop and might seem a little confusing the first time you go inside. Its super friendly and 'chill' - So if you are in a super rush or something either call ahead for pickup or practice patience when you arrive. The people here are friendly and helpful - they'll answer most any question you have, and if you need to talk to someone just grab one of them - if they don't know about something someone will and will come out and tell you. I don't talk about meat in this place, this is vegan territory and want to respect the harmony of the joint - these vegans are at least eating actual 'vegetables' (well fruits and nuts too), much respect.

Raw local food isn't cheap. Sure some of the stuff might seem pricey, but have you tried making these things yourself from organic local foods? If you are - then you know the cost that goes into it. The food is also very filling - so you might not 'need' as much as you might think. Order something sans smoothie and you might be very full very quick.

I love BBQ, steaks, sashimi, chickens and other delicious animals - but this place is in my top 10 of restaurants in LA, not in spite of not having meat - but because they make great food that is also good for you.

Now if only they dubbed 'Bacon' a vegetable...
    -mikewootini

KimT is offline Senior Member
    This is too funny! I live in San Diego (moved 2 months ago from PA), but have frequented Santa Monica to take courses at AF Performance and worknwith Peter for the past 2 years. Peter and Alicia are great! To add to your list, Kreation Cafe comes highly recommended by them. I've had it a few times and it's good. If you know how strict Peter is, you'll understand that a restaurant recommendation from him means it must be good quality stuff. I just went to the market with Alicia a couple weeks ago and it was really good.

I'll definitely check it out. Peter and Alicia really helped me out with some sticking points. They are also a great source for pharmaceutical grade supplements. I love how they have animals running around - in the past I would have cringed from my allergies, but alas - no longer.

I'm also originally from PA, though I haven't lived there in over 20 years. :-)
    -mikewootini

jakey is offline Senior Member
    in culver city, akasha gets grass-fed red meat, and sources everything fresh, local and organic. soto and picca in the kosher corridor on pico do the same. tar & roses, rustic canyon, lucques... most of the fancy upscale newer restaurants all do grass-fed, local organic. we have farmers market coming out of every end.

in short, i love LA>>>

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I'll be in L.A. for E3, this year. Have any of you tried the Burger Lounge? I stumbled upon it, when someone in this forum posted a link for grass fed meat.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    I'll be in L.A. for E3, this year. Have any of you tried the Burger Lounge? I stumbled upon it, when someone in this forum posted a link for grass fed meat.
    it's legit, though not my favorite. they fry their fryes in peanut oil, fwiw...

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    it's legit, though not my favorite. they fry their fryes in peanut oil, fwiw...
    Noted on the peanut oil, and the fries. What is your favorite, then? I'm up for any personal recommendation. Last time I was in L.A., it was all about the Mexican shops, for me. I haven't been to The Hat, in a while. But, since I'm more or less Primal/Paleo, I'll have to make some adjustments.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

patski is offline Senior Member
    Wifey and I are heading to LA for our honeymoon this July; Paleo/Primal restaurants/eateries duly noted! Keep 'em coming!

Also, to the OP: Where are Animal and Lemonade located?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

I recently found this great BBQ place that gets their meat from a farm in CO that are pasture raised.

It's in the valley and it's called "Smoke City" Texas-style barbeque in Los Angeles | Smoke City Market

It's in the Valley near Sherman Oaks.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Wifey and I are heading to LA for our honeymoon this July; Paleo/Primal restaurants/eateries duly noted! Keep 'em coming!

Also, to the OP: Where are Animal and Lemonade located?

@Patski:

Animal is great, make sure you get a reservation or don't mind eating there late - animal restaurant
    It's on Fairfax near by Hollywood. I have a menu somewhere with all the paleo/primal stuff checked off.

Lemonade has a few locations, the 2 I've visited are in Brentwood, and closer to where I live in Venice. It's a good quick place for lunch - Lemonade Restaurants ? Lemonade LA ? Seasonal Southern California Comfort Food(sm)
    -mikewootini

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast