Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Guide to Primal Resources page 2

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewootini View Post
    @Patski:

Animal is great, make sure you get a reservation or don't mind eating there late - animal restaurant
    It's on Fairfax near by Hollywood. I have a menu somewhere with all the paleo/primal stuff checked off.

Lemonade has a few locations, the 2 I've visited are in Brentwood, and closer to where I live in Venice. It's a good quick place for lunch - Lemonade Restaurants ? Lemonade LA ? Seasonal Southern California Comfort Food(sm)
    This is great, thanks! Haha, we're staying in Venice Beach! =)
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

mikewootini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    What do they sell at the farmer's market?
    Could you post what some of the prices are on fruits/veggies & meats?

I have been thinking of commuting to LA every few weeks to stock up on groceries. The supply of whole foods around here has dried up, because very few can afford it, and so stores no longer stock it. I know it is a little bit less expensive to get foods in LA, but I am curious to the difference.
    I've found things to range a bit depending on the time of year and what I'm getting. I can give you a breakdown of my pickup today at the Santa Monica Farmers Market on Main St.

3 bunches of Asparagus - $6
    Mustard Greens - $1.50
    2 lbs of Rabbit Sausage - $8
    Quail (about 1.5 lbs) - $12
    Porkchops 3lb - $12
    Beef Stew pieces 1lb - $8
    Free Range Eggs XL -$5 (I've seen eggs as low as $3.50 and as high as $5.50)
    Baby Zuchini - $4
    Brocolli heads - $1.50
    3 lbs of ground beef - $20

There was also some Dates, Olives, and Almonds (plus nut butters) but I didn't get those.

I'm not sure which is the best market in LA - but I do like the Jimenez Family Farm and try to go to the markets they are at as they have a great selection of Rabbit, Quail, Goat, and lamb. Their Rabbit Sausage and whole rabbits are awesome.

ps. I updated the list - if you have more confirmed restaurants with sourcing info for their foods post it here and I'll update it. - if you can include the neighborhood.
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

GrokMendoza is offline Member
    Just out of curiosity where does everyone live at in LA? I'm bringing this old thread back from the dead

I updated some things on the list. Since I'm doing a Whole30, I'm very strict right now. The Co-OP is here to save the day!
    Daily they make 1-2 things that you can eat without fear. Same goes for their Roast Chicken which is Free Range/Organic and treated with olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika.

(to answer your question - I live in Venice)
    -mikewootini

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    Wurstkuche in Little Tokyo has a great selection of sausages. Avoid the fries unless you want to include them in your 20%...

Incredible draft beer selection.

Some of the sausages are decent. I'd go with the ones that you know for sure aren't factory farmed animals like bison, duck, alligator, rattlesnake, etc. At least stuff that is much less likely to be anyway. Ther eis a Wurstkuche in Venice as well, they have a cider and wine selection as well.
    -mikewootini

Grokalicious is offline Senior Member
    I live in Tarzana and just picked up a CSA box this morning and need to find another grass fed beef source. My beef was frozen (not the end of the world) but the date it was processed is 7/12. I work in Hollywood during the week (driving around selling wine) so am free to go wherever but going cross city to the Westside seems daunting somehow!

Anyone into sharing a cow? Lol.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces,
    never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.

Flavia Weedn, Flavia and the Dream Maker

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

I'd say I would - but I don't have room for a freezer and currently mine is full.
    Hmm.. maybe some folks have some ideas on small freezers?

If you are in Hollywood, check out Lindy and Grundy's on Fairfax.

Currently I get mine from Rocky Canyon at the farmers Market. They are at the Santa Monica and Hollywood one. If you have any ideas for other places would be good. Hmm.. maybe it's time for an LA Primal meetup group?

Quote Originally Posted by Grokalicious View Post
    I live in Tarzana and just picked up a CSA box this morning and need to find another grass fed beef source. My beef was frozen (not the end of the world) but the date it was processed is 7/12. I work in Hollywood during the week (driving around selling wine) so am free to go wherever but going cross city to the Westside seems daunting somehow!

Anyone into sharing a cow? Lol.
    -mikewootini

Grokalicious is offline Senior Member
    I took a little break from the forum so excuse my utter lateness in replying! I'm back to work on Thursday and will check out Lindy and Grundy. Another cool spot (restaurant) is Short Order. Grass fed burgers. Sooooo yummy.

I would love to schedule a meet up with other Primal folk. I often feel as though I'm on an island with this way of life! Just spent some time with an old friend and all she had to eat at her house was Oreos, Coke, Kraft cheese singles, etc. ugh!
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces,
    never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.

Flavia Weedn, Flavia and the Dream Maker

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

GrokMendoza is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We should totally do Primal meetup. I currently stay in Van Nuys but am free to travel wherever. I moved here from my homestate (Kansas) in January so it would be nice to meet some Primal folk for a change!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast