Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw, frozen beef liver pills page

jdc2130 is offline Junior Member

Smile Raw, frozen beef liver pills

Hi everyone-
    I've been reading the site for almost two years and this is my first post!

I recently added some chopped beef liver to my typical dinner of burgers and it was truly awful. I could not swallow one bite.

I've been scouring MDA and some other sites for info on swallowing frozen raw liver in pill-form, an idea that seems to have come from Chris Kresser.

So... For the people that do this - how much would one need to ingest in order to reap the health benefits? Are we talking a few per day or tons of pills at once 1x/week? Is it even safe to consume raw?? Should it be done in conjunction w/ a meal so as to prevent liver taste from haunting me? Is this even necessary if I'm getting choline from egg yolks?

Thank you so much everyone-I've already learned a ton from this forum already!!!!

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    I tried this once, years ago. I almost threw up. In just the time it took me to swallow it started to thaw and the texture and taste . . . . I tried it a few times and ended up feeding the rest to my cat because I just couldn't do it.

The only way I can eat liver is in liverwurst.

I'm considering dehydrated liver pills when I have the money to play around.

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    You need to try it with some fava beans, and maybe a nice chianti...

ueritaGro is offline Junior Member
    The only way I can eat liver is in liverwurst

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I wanted to do that, but it didn't work well for me. Plus there is a real risk of contracting parasites eating raw liver - even liver that has been previously frozen.

I hate liver too. I kept trying recipes until I found one I don't hate. The one I like is a curry fried calf liver with a cilantro lemon vinaigrette.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I wanted to do that, but it didn't work well for me. Plus there is a real risk of contracting parasites eating raw liver - even liver that has been previously frozen.

I hate liver too. I kept trying recipes until I found one I don't hate. The one I like is a curry fried calf liver with a cilantro lemon vinaigrette.
    Stop lying. All the curry, lemon and vinaigrette in the world could not make liver not taste like liver. So glad to see a thread on the forum where eveyone is not saying "Liver, I love it". Come on!!! Everyone say it with me "Liver Sucks"

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Liver is medicine. I take it once per week. I muscle it down like cough syrup, but with a dried blood and nickels taste, with a jug of water and a pool of hot sauce. The best thing I have found is to soak it in lemon or lime juice for 1-24 hours. It doesn't always work on the funkiest livers, but when it works it neutralizes almost everything offensive but the texture.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I really believe that if you really can't abide a certain food, you probably shouldn't eat it. I wasn't too fussy an eater as a child, but I wouldn't eat scallops. My dad tried to sneak them into something and I ate it and threw up on his shirt. Lesson learned.

There is so much beautiful nutritious food out there - why gag down something you don't like?

I still won't eat scallops. Blech.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    cool Joanie---I threw up scallops too and will never EVER eat them again. I also hate liver. I actually froze some deer liver and tried to swallow it but then freaked out about eating raw liver. Maybe I should revisit this in the fall (hunting season)...tried cooking the liver but it was HORRIBLE, and I'm a great cook!

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    You need to try it with some fava beans, and maybe a nice chianti...
    CaveWeirdo for the Win!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast