Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw, frozen beef liver pills page 2

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think you are just going to have to try around. My suggestion to you is to go to the nearest big-city gourmet shop and ask for pate and terrine and such that has liver as an ingredient. The bird livers are the mildest tasting, and with all the other ingredients in there, the livery flavor is also diminished.

If you hit a really good French cuisine place, the ingredients should be at the very least clean, although not perfectly Primal.

My hubby isn't a fan of liver, but just last week he said that braunschweiger was not too bad. It is pork liver, and really not strong tasting, at least to my sensibilities.

Beef liver is something to work up to. Just FYI, I have been a liver-eater all my life, but I get it that others don't.

The German-speaking countries all have lots of liver recipes, as do the Slavic countries. If you cook, seek out these cookbooks at your local library.

And give yourself time. If you kind of try it here and there, no pressure, it may just grow on you.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Stop lying. All the curry, lemon and vinaigrette in the world could not make liver not taste like liver. So glad to see a thread on the forum where eveyone is not saying "Liver, I love it". Come on!!! Everyone say it with me "Liver Sucks"
    Nope. If jammies can stick it out long enough to find a recipe she likes, you can too. Grizzly Adams would eat his liver as well.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    raw liver just sounds like a pathogen-incident waiting to go wrong. plenty of ways to make liver more tasty, just do a net search.

my mother used to boil livers for the dogs and the smell of it was sickening. she also cooked it to DEATH. it was MANY years before i was willing to try it -- as pâté. it was like tasting all the earth's minerals woven through edible silk made of butter and cream.

i prefer chicken livers and rinse them, then soak them in yogurt or milk or cream. water in a pinch. change the water several times. poach in home-made chicken broth with a few cloves of garlic til the centers are just pink. whizz in the food pro with some dried thyme, butter, cream and cognac. salt and pepper to taste. i will sometimes add a prune or two in there. this freezes well and am now in a phase of eating it a few times per week. it tastes better the next day and i prefer it not refrigerator cold, so take some out about 30 minutes pre-meal.

and you scallop-haters are absolute weirdos! lol. living in new england i have access to the best and i swear could eat them everyday.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    as pâté. it was like tasting all the earth's minerals woven through edible silk made of butter and cream.

and you scallop-haters are absolute weirdos! lol. living in new england i have access to the best and i swear could eat them everyday.
    I love that description. That's exactly what my homemade pate tastes like.

And scallops are a gift to us from the ocean goddess. They are only gross if they are overcooked.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Exactly.. make homemade paté or do as I: Slice it, fry it on a pan in butter and maybe some onion, squese fresh lemon on top and sprinkle on some salt flakes. Eat with some side dish you like.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12