Thread: Deciding my goals; starting strength vs body by science page

Deciding my goals; starting strength vs body by science

Shop Now
    Hi everyone!

It's a while since I posted here, last time I had just begun starting strength. I would say I was a true ectomorph if it wasn't for the pot belly and saw good results from that workout but I started to get aches and pains from the super heavy lifting and basically i ate too much (50% of my diet must have been milk)! I put on over a stone and got the heaviest I've ever been (172lb @ 5'10'') and felt great (about my strength gains and bigger body!) but my body fat % must have been over 20% and I wasn't happy with how my stomach hung over my trousers when I sat down :/

I ended up eating a normal amount of food (LC paleo) and stopped focusing on progression (basically because I wasn't eating enough) and ended up 160lb.

Recently (last two months) I started the Body by Science programme (still LC paleo) and I've shrunken to 155lb and 14% BF (calipers first thing on a morning, fasted) and I don't feel like I look much better than your average skinny fat CW in the gym!

I'm just pretty frustrated and don't know what my goals/plan of action should be; I love being bigger but hate being fatter, I also love the BBS workout (especially since they are only once every 5-7 days).

I know this post is getting super long but I've found that I simply can't fit in enough time/money to prepare and eat enough protein and fat to gain more muscle but when I add carbs the gains round my middle come faster than anything else.

Thanks everyone for reading that! Any advice would be greatly appreciated (going on holiday in 2 months haha! )

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Try a paleo leangains protocol?

Lift fasted in the morning, using a reverse pyramid setup for progression. Bookend your workout with BCAA's, and eat a normal lunch and dinner. Sprint once a week and go on some long hikes/walks 2-3 days a week?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength but you have to go for progression otherwise you are just warming up.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    Try a paleo leangains protocol?

Lift fasted in the morning, using a reverse pyramid setup for progression. Bookend your workout with BCAA's, and eat a normal lunch and dinner. Sprint once a week and go on some long hikes/walks 2-3 days a week?
    Is this all Leangains is about?
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Chaloney is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Is this all Leangains is about?
    Mostly, plus carb re-feeds with the post- heavy-lifting meal (ie a sweet potato with lunch on lifting days). The insulin from the carbs is supposed to help get the amino acids into the muscles rather than being used for gluconeogenesis. Also, he gives you an 8-hour eating window each day (noon til 8pm) then a 16 hour fast, ending with your workout, then the post-workout meal. Or just ending with lunch on non-workout days.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Keep up BBS and eat more = more muscle. Do starting strength and eat more = more muscle.....there is a pattern here . FYI, I've used BBS to put on some significant mass the past six months. I am relentless about hitting higher tul's or upping my weights each week.

The part about not worrying about progression and how much you are eating are your two real problems.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-15-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks for the advice everyone! A mixture of BBS and leangains sounds like it might be a good route, I think i just have to be consistant in eating more; that's the part i find the most difficult, not the work outs. I need the opposite of a gastric band!

I'll let you know how i do

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grouchos_tash View Post
    Recently (last two months) I started the Body by Science programme (still LC paleo) and I've shrunken to 155lb and 14% BF (calipers first thing on a morning, fasted) and I don't feel like I look much better than your average skinny fat CW in the gym!

I'm just pretty frustrated and don't know what my goals/plan of action should be; I love being bigger but hate being fatter, I also love the BBS workout (especially since they are only once every 5-7 days).
    I've been pretty pleased with BBS. The most important part is the effort and continuing to contract the muscles beyond where you feel comfortable. When it starts to burn is when you know the work has just begun. Couple of video examples:

BODY BY SCIENCE TRAINING VIDEO 2 — TODD BEARD

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    eat more and work out super hard to gain muscle. There are other programs like 5-3-1 that have slower planned progression and don't "require" as much overeating as SS does. But you need to eat protein and work super hard to gain muscle mass; if it was easy, everyone would be hyoooj.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/