Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HBO - The Weight of the Nation page

Todd is offline Junior Member

HBO - The Weight of the Nation

Shop Now
    I didn't see a thread on this, so forgive me if there is one, but is anyone watching? It's available online on HBO's YouTube Channel.

I have been rolling my eyes quite a bit at some of the statements, but in part 2, some identified person of "expertise" comes on and claims that "A Calorie is A Calorie".

Not sure if I can call this a credible documentary anymore...

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I saw that. They had me hooked in part 1. The head of the Bogalusa Heart Study mentions insulin resistance and it's role in heart disease and weight gain. Then, in part 2, they come in with the calorie is a calorie crap, energy imbalance, etc. Same on CW nonsense.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Though not perfect, "Hungry for Change" is the only documentary I saw that I found myself mostly in agreement with, and that even surprised me with the information that was provided.

Todd is offline Junior Member
    It's irritating because people are going to see that and take it as gospel, without at least a second opinion or rebuttal.

ueritaGro is offline Junior Member
    The head of the Bogalusa Heart Study mentions insulin resistance

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I am watching this now. Some things that struck me:
    most obese people are poor.
    Environment/diet and genetics (but not all genes in very offspring) are contributors to propensity to become obese.
    An "I can't believe It's Not Butter Spay" was shown as a clip in contributing factors to obesity.
    In every yearly statistic graph, the level of obesity percentages rose, in accordance to the availability of pre-packaged, processed foods.
    That typical "Louisiana" spread included many items that combined carbs and starches, fried foods, with dairy and sugary desserts (whipped cream fruit-salad, as well).
    Many members of the long-term study in obesity and heart health became overweight, but many did not.
    The "bread-basket" and southern portions of U.S. had the highest levels of obesity. Are these also the sectors of our nation that have high poverty rates?
    Interesting documentary. A GLOBAL problem. I am one of the only family members in my clan who is not overweight or obese. I was chubby on my elementary school diet, starting in 4th grade, then broke away from that diet in junior high. My diet has never been high-cal, nor high fat, but for a long period, high alcohol (carb, sugar).
    I will keep watching.

The diabetes amputee portion really got to me. My grandparents are both type 2. My grandmother has had a toe amputated and has had several foot reconstructions. My grandfather, recently diagnosed with Type 2, is also on oxygen for emphysema, and has had cancer, told me that " he is is being punished for living a bad life." This breaks my heart. He didn't know, when he stopped smoking decades ago, that it would affect him like this. he also didn't know that his country food diet would lead to diabetes, and maybe his cancer. he didn't know, and still doesn't understand how it all works. I don't understand it all myself, so how can I help my grandpa, in his 70s, who thinks it's his fault?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Drivel for the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Drivel for the masses.
    If it gets the populace thinking and talking about the causes and prevention of obesity and related problems, you can hardly call it "drivel." Much of the advice given on the documentary, thus far, sans grains, has been original Cordain style paleo, that is, plenty of veggies and lean meat, fruit, all fresh, organic. It has, so far, advocated smaller portions and moderate calorie intake with exercise.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Drivel for the masses.
    Says someone with an avatar of from a teen trilogy that is a vapid waste of wood pulp and movies intended specifically to pander to the general unthinking mob girls.
    Excellent. You are good at this.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast