Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok how does this sun exposure work? page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

Ok how does this sun exposure work?

Shop Now
    Heya,

I live in Montreal, I am very pale (red brown hair, blue eyes and dead fish white skin.) I burn very fast or at least I always have. I wear a Tilley hat, long sleeves and avoid the sun all the time. It hurts my eyes and it hurts on my skin as soon as I am in it.

I have always avoided the sun and now I hear that we need it, PB lifestyle demands it and folks seem to be suggesting that it is now not an issue for them? Hunh wha?

Can someone explain the thinking, and how it is supposed to work? I would love to end my life as a cave troll and be able to actually enjoy the sun but I dont quite know what questions to ask.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Well, I live in Northern Washington now and the sun here is nothing. In Idaho, I ate SAD and burned all summer long. Here, I ate SAD and barely got peels. Now that I eat this way, I cannot burn at all, even if I push the limits! I just turn brown. But I have not tried a day in Idaho, so I don't know how protective the lack of grains really is yet. But I also feel the sun right away and it does bother my blue eyes. So I wear shades if I'm out for a long time, and the warmth has yet to become a burning. I'm pretty sure mileage varies widely on this topic. Are you a red head?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I am a red brown blond head. No one color. But very pale.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Gradually increase your exposure - maybe 15-20 minutes a day for a few days, then 30 minutes for a few days, and so on and so forth. Allow your skin to adapt.
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

Kinnell is offline Member
    I'll just point out here that the best way to get sun exposure is when it's cloudy. You'll get less intense sunlight, but it'll come at you from all directions which is a win whichever way you look at it.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    If you can find a copy of "Protein Power Life Plan" at the library, the Doctors Eades provide a short section with a suggested sun exposure regimen based on skin type and with adjustments for different latitudes.
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

yes I can understand how to increase my exposure but how does a PB lifestyle improve my resistance to sun damage?

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnell View Post
    I'll just point out here that the best way to get sun exposure is when it's cloudy. You'll get less intense sunlight, but it'll come at you from all directions which is a win whichever way you look at it.
    Even cloudy days can cause sunburns. with fair skin, you'll still want to follow the slow exposure plan regardless of how much sun is "out".

Sun exposure produces Vitamin D in your skin which helps with the absorption of certain elements found in food - like calcium. It also helps with mood enhancement. I know a lot of people (myself included) who take Vitamin D supplements to reduce depression (I supplement because I work in an office with north facing windows, so I get no sunlight unless I go outside). I think it has something to do with helping in the production of serotonin.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I am a former redhead(it darkened to brown) and I am married to a redhead with a strawberry redheaded son. I completely understand on being a cave troll. The theory on how paleo helps is that getting vitamin D levels high enough helps stop the burn and having high vitamin A levels(from all those vegies and liver) actually tint the skin and form a physical block to being burned. I am still pretty new to paleo and not that strict yet. So far my family and myself still wear hats and sunscreen and hide from the sun during peak hours. I got crispy last weekend going fishing. The only thing that tans on me is my freckles and my son is a paper white redhead who at five years old apparently doesn't tan at all. I live in NW Washington where the sun isn't that intense.

Selkie is offline Junior Member
    I used to avoid the sun like the plague. I hated it and it hated me...or so I thought. Within minutes of walking outside, my flesh felt like it was on fire. I could burn so fast. I used the thickest, highest rated sunscreen I could find AND cover up as much as possible,....and still wind up with pink skin. I have auburn hair and PALE skin.
    Once I got going primal-wise, I was stunned to notice one day that I was sitting in my car with the sun directly on my face and arms for some time without realizing it. I couldn't believe it.
    It now takes nearly half an hour in the sun with no sunscreen on for me to even pink up. That is amazing to me. I can only believe that it is how I have been eating that has made the difference. I haven't changed anything else. Once you ditch all the non-primal stuff, try going outside late in the morning for starters. Stay out on a nice day for twenty minutes or so and then check you skin. Do this at different times of the day, keeping an eye out for any pink areas. I think you will find this less and less of an issue.
    I can tell you that my skin has more color in it overall..I am not nearly as pure white as I was....which for me is great. I don't use sunscreen just to get in the car anymore. I can drive to the coast (about 2 hours away) and not arrive there with a sunburned face and arms. I can take walks on a nice day and not feel that hot, burning sensation.
    It has made a huge difference in my life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast