Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Goat's Milk - OH MY GOD! page

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member

Whole Goat's Milk - OH MY GOD!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been tasked for making ice cream for a potluck on Wednesday. I love ice cream. I will never give it up, and I love making it. Egg yolks, whole milk, heavy cream, vanilla, a small amount of coconut sugar (we're talking 1/4 cup for half a gallon of ice cream) and stevia extract to balance out the sweetness - as far as indulgences go, it's not all that bad. Well, I came up with what I think will be a good flavor: roasted blueberry goat cheese ice cream (more on that later).

Well, I go to Trader Joe's twice a week. I almost never buy milk, but I always pass by the goat's milk and have always been curious. I really like goat cheese, and it has a very distinct, strong flavor. I always assumed the milk itself would have a bit of that flavor as well, and while I love it in the cheese, having that taste in the milk would make it undesirable to me. And the $9/gallon price tag doesn't help. Well, I went out on a limb and bought half a gallon for $4.49.

OH MY GOD!!!

Words cannot describe how much better it is than cow's milk. It tastes crisper, cleaner and more refreshing than cow's milk, but at the same time it's twice as rich as cow's whole milk. It was more like drinking half and half, yet the fat content is the same (there's actually slightly less sugar as well). I drank some side by side with some heavy cream as well, and I'm telling you the goat's milk was more delicious than the heavy cream. Amazing.

For all those on the shelf about trying goat's milk, do not be afraid! Try it! Not only is it more delicious than cow's milk (it has ZERO off taste, trust me), but it's much easier to digest, it's all non-homogenized (goat's milk is naturally homogenized) and it's much more nutritious.

Compared to cow's milk, goat's milk contains more calcium, vitamin B6, vitamin A, potassium, niacin, copper and the antioxidant selenium. However, cow's milk contains more folic acid and vitamin B12, which is essential for proper developmental growth.
    Big deal. We're meat eaters, here. We don't have to worry about folic acid and B12. My readings are off the charts.

What Are The Benefits Of Goat's Milk For Infants? | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-15-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It's great stuff isn't it!? I just found a source for $6/gal. Really can't wait to make some ice cream with it. And yogurt, and cheese, and butter.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    We get local raw goat milk and my son prefers it to cow milk. The goat farmers sometimes make goat milk ice cream when we have a get together, it's really good.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you can make butter from goat milk because that fat doesn't separate the way it does with cow milk.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I'm warming up to cultured goat milk kefir. Ever since going primal, I haven't missed regular milk.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    It's great stuff isn't it!? I just found a source for $6/gal. Really can't wait to make some ice cream with it. And yogurt, and cheese, and butter.
    I think they sell raw goat's milk at Reading Terminal in Philadelphia. I may have to go check it out. Honestly, I don't really drink milk and it's probably $12/gallon there, but it may be worth checking it out. It's not really on the menu since I want to cut a little for the summer, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I don't think you can make butter from goat milk because that fat doesn't separate the way it does with cow milk.
    Goat butter sounds incredible. I have never seen goat's heavy cream before. It has to exist, right? If it does, I'll culture it myself with buttermilk and whip my own. I've done it before, why not?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    Yes, a quart of goat's milk is my treat sometimes. It's very tasty and rich. I like that it's not homogenized, so you get those little bits of fat with it.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    You can, but it's a process.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've made yogurt with goat's milk. It doesn't get firm like cow milk yogurt. It stays fairly runny. But it is very tangy and delicious.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

mirday is offline Junior Member
    When I was a youth I tried that Meyerberg goat milk and it was gross so I assumed all goat milk tasted that way. When my girls were little I was making formula for them and hunted out raw milk sources and they had raw goat milk and gave me a sample. It was divine and the family all loved it.

I'm having a hard time finding it now because the raw food co-op was shut down and California is happily persecuting all raw dairy providers.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast