Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole Goat's Milk - OH MY GOD! page 3

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just started getting the yogurt from a new stall at the markets. Sooo good. Something about the flavor of goats milk just works well with yogurt.

This stuff is like the pinnacle of all yogurt and dairy products.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnP View Post
    sbhikes.... I've heard some people have had more success w/ goat's yogurt by making the temperature a little higher when adding the culture. Never tried to make yogurt myself, but might be worth a shot (or not!)
    Store bought goat yogurts use tapioca and pectin as thickeners. I tried to make my own goat yogurt, but only came up with kefir. I'm not a very good cook, but I tried to use tapioca and arrowroot to thicken the kefir into yogurt, but it was a disaster. I've made my peace with kefir and just buy the goat yogurt at TJs.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's sells goat milk yogurt for $5.49/quart. It's a lot different than cow's milk yogurt. It's thinner and has a lot more of a bite. I can put cow's milk yogurt in anything and sit down and easily eat a whole quart. Goat's milk yogurt, I don't think I could do it. It's very rich and strong. It's very good.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to have to try some goats milk!b I'm not a big milk drinker, it bothers me tho I'm fine with cheese and cream. I love using goat cheese in omelettes, it goes all fluffy and tastes amazing. Blueberry goat cheese omelettes are ridiculously rich and tasty.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

jammies is offline Senior Member
    What the heck is wrong with me?!?! I HATE goat milk, goat cheese, goat yogurt....HATE it all! I can't stand that "barn" taste that is left behind.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    What the heck is wrong with me?!?! I HATE goat milk, goat cheese, goat yogurt....HATE it all! I can't stand that "barn" taste that is left behind.
    I don't deny that goat products somehow taste like goats smell...
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I can get raw goats milk at my co-op, but haven't tried it... now I am intrigued. I can't remember how much it costs... will have to check it out. I tried goat's milk kefir and it tasted like I was drinking goat cheese... too strong for me.

mirday is offline Junior Member
    The Meyerberg and the Trader Joes milks had a goat-y taste (especially the Meyerberg) but the raw milk I use to be able to get was fabulous. It was a creamy and had a very slight taste but my kids were fine with it and even the hubby could drink it and not complain if it was with something.

As for the lactose, we have cow milk allergies in the family so when I had to use formula for my girls I was very cautious of using cow's milk and didn't want to use soy. The had no problems with cow's milk in my diet so I knew there wasn't a severe allergy (their uncle has seizures when he has dairy). Goat milk was no problem and it turned out that dds 1 and 2 were fine with cow's milk but dd3 is a bit more sensitive.
    Miriam in Sunny SoCal

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I hear that alot, but I honestly don't understand what a "goaty" taste is. It just tastes very rich and very good to me.

And by the way, Whole Foods sells a raw goat's milk cheese that is fantastic. Forget the brand, but it's over in the specialty cheeses and not ridiculously expensive. Trader Joe's sells a cheaper pasteurized goat cheese that is sliced.

And my goat farmer sells ground goat meat in one pound packages. Mix a little curry in and make yourself one outstanding burger, let me tell you.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mirday View Post
    When I was a youth I tried that Meyerberg goat milk and it was gross so I assumed all goat milk tasted that way. When my girls were little I was making formula for them and hunted out raw milk sources and they had raw goat milk and gave me a sample. It was divine and the family all loved it.

I'm having a hard time finding it now because the raw food co-op was shut down and California is happily persecuting all raw dairy providers.

Huh? I buy raw dairy all the time at my local Sprouts store. Who's being persecuted?

Don't know about LA but SD has recently passed an urban agriculture ordinance allowing goats and chickens within the city limits. My friend has goats and is happily producing the world's yummiest chevre cheese.

Oh, and Chaco, raw goat milk is way better than pasteurized but any goat milk is better than cow. There was a whole discussion on Underground Wellness about A1 and A2 milk. (sorry don't have the link atm). Worth a watch.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast