Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blorton's Blathering, Babbling Journal page

Blorton is offline Senior Member

Blorton's Blathering, Babbling Journal

After four weeks, it's time to report in.

I *Love* this way of thinking. Like most, I dropped a lot of weight at the beginning, and have marveled at what is possible here.

Lately, I've been playing more with the "how much can I stuff down and still not gain real weight" line, and frankly, it's been damn impressive. As an example, here are yesterday's meals:

breakfast:

1 scoop zero carb protein powder

1/4 cup blueberries

1/2 cup coconut milk

2 raw eggs

snack:

walnuts and pecans - big handfuls!

lunch:

12oz ribeye steak with a side salad.

snack:

more walnuts and pecans!

dinner:

3 shortish polish sweet sausages and a large handful of frozen veggie medleys tossed in olive oil.

I gained 1 pound! Incredible! Anything less than that, and my weight stays the same or slowly drops. Awesome!

Before starting the PB, I was on the typical rabbit food, obsess over carbs and lean meats diet, and any trace of a binge meal would set me back for days. With this plan, I actually have to work in order to gain weight, and that's frikken awesome!

So a little bit of background - I've been working out using P90X and Insanity for roughly six months, and have been eating under the aforementioned diet plan. To say I was a slave to the carb train would be an understatement. A month ago, I decided enough was enough and decided to adopt a diet and exercise plan I could actually live with over the long haul.

Progress-wise, I'd managed to drop 26 pounds before starting the PB, and was about 10-15 pounds away from my goal weight. (Which is actually very unknown since I haven't really paid attention since high school and I was a lot scrawnier back then. heh. Back then, I did a lot of distance running and nowadays, the focus is on weight training and overall "durability".)

Anyhoos - love this forum and everyone here. Huge thanks to Mark and all of you for the knowledge and inspiration!

I figure I have about 10 pounds left to get rid of the last of the spare tire, but that is always subject to change.

Exercise-wise, I've lately been sticking to the P90X weight days, but doing a lot of different things in place of the cardio days. My favorite so far has been going on a great six mile hike last weekend. I did brisk walking for hours, with clambering over rocks and streams, and it was great! Dropped a pound that day without even trying.

Love it!

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Great journal title

Thanks, Darth. I was trying to come up with something as clever as yours.

lesliek is offline Member

I like the journal title, too.

I'm suddenly craving a 12-oz. steak and a 6-hour hike. That's the way to live!

Heheh - Leslie - I&#39;m usually eating 16-18oz ribeyes for dinner every other night. Costco has such a great price on them I can&#39;t resist. <burp>

Today&#39;s news - I&#39;m in the middle of a dinner to dinner IF, and am liking it a lot. Around noontime, I started feeling pretty hungry, so I took the opportunity to do some hill sprints followed with tire sledgehammering. No more hunger!

Dinner tonight is going to be a pigout! I&#39;ve got a half a package of good bacon to eat and a couple of sirloin patties thawing out. Gonna wrap the bacon around some asparagus and call it good. <drool>

edit: I completely forgot to mention - I&#39;ve been giving the non-dairy thing a try the last week or so, but realized that my morning protein powder is dairy-based, so that is being dropped for now to see if any differences come up.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Blorton, 16-18 oz. ribeyes ... oh, yes.

But I have my own version. Since watching Food, Inc. (horrifying but fascinating movie) I have nearly stopped buying supermarket meat. But there&#39;s a lady about ten minutes south of town here, and she and her family (husband, 3 kids) raise Churro sheep, and raise one steer and two pigs a year for meat. She has sold me locker lamb in the past, and recently part of a 3-year-old ram, which she called "mutton" but which still tastes like lamb to me.

So, I bought some of the beef, too. She and her family have figured out how much of it they want to keep for themselves, and then she sells the rest. So, no choice cuts like tenderloin or ribeyes or Porterhouse steak -- she did sell me one little sirloin, and some ribs. It&#39;s really too much to expect them to give up the really good stuff. But I have assorted plain cuts, and about a dozen packages of ground beef. It&#39;s so GOOOOOOD! Grassfed, one pampered happy animal. And last night I figured out how to eat it Primally.

It was still in the deep freeze. I wanted some. I turned on the stove under the skillet medium-high and poured in a few ounces of water. Then I unwrapped a rock-hard hunk of ground beef, probably over a pound, and just set it into the skillet and put on the lid.

Awhile later the water was boiling a little. I turned the lump over, and scraped off all I could. The outside was cooked, the inside was raw but unfrozen. I had about 1/3 of it on my plate. I turned over the lump, put the lid back on, and sat down to eat my Tartar Beef, unfancy version, with some green Tabasco sauce on it. It made ordinary cooked hamburger seem pathetic. It was so utterly delicious.

When I finished it, I went back for the rest, which was about equally cooked/uncooked. I don&#39;t usually scarf down over a pound of semi-raw beef, but it agreed with me just fine.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Way to go on the dinner-to-dinner IF! I&#39;m about to start one myself after dinner tonight. Asparagus is divine.

Man, that tire/sledge thing looks like fun. I can&#39;t wait to try it soon!

PDL - that&#39;s a great trick. I&#39;ll have to remember to try that some time. I have a real weakness for a certain kind of chunky salsa a local Mexi place has, and am pretty sure that&#39;ll be primal-eligible.(minus the chips, of course. heh)

Totally hear you on the local, happy cow thing - truth is, I&#39;m planning to go that route, just need to get pick up a cheap chest freezer first. I&#39;ve already been out on craigslist and there are tons of local sources listed. woohoo!

Diana - the tire thing is a hoot! Just get the lightest sledge you can and wail on it! A great stress reliever as you get to hear the &#39;poof&#39; of the tire when you hit it. I&#39;m actually thinking about trying to make some kind of heavy duty sandbag for this because I was chasing the tire around the yard. hehehe

Tonight&#39;s dinner hit the spot very nicely. 5 bigazz asparagus wrapped in bacon, 3 pieces of leftover bacon by themselves, and a couple of 1/3 pound sirloin patties. <burp> I leave for a 3 day work meeting tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see what I can find to eat on the road.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Hahaha! My neighbors will think I&#39;ve lost my mind chasing a tire around the yard with a sledge. :P

Dinner sounds FANTASTIC. I started my 24hr IF at 7:00 so here goes. The road trip should be interesting. There are some good options out there though. It really makes you feel like your foraging, trying to find the edible stuff among the inedible stuff.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Blorton, enjoy, enjoy.

Unfortunately, the frozen hamburger-to-Tartar beef idea shouldn&#39;t be done with CAFO hamburger, due to the insanitary conditions in which the cattle are raised and slaughtered.

What better motivation to find and buy local grassfed meat, preferably from hobby farmers or small-holding diverse organic growers? Sounds like you are on your way. Chest freezers use a lot less power than vertical ones. The more recent the better. Standards for energy efficiency have been going up a lot.

The more we buy local beef from small grassfed herds, the more of our money shifts from CAFOs and distant industrialized food supplies to local people who treat their animals right.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast